Opinion on my gel nails please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ophala

Reaction score
Hi all - I've just done a full set of gels (sculpted - OPI MicroBond) on myself for the first time in a long time - still need a lot of practise but struggling to find the time or the people to practise on!

Anyway - it's the most pleased I've ever been with a set so let me know your opinion please and what I can improve on, thanks xx

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/ophala/IMG_0326.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/ophala/IMG_0319.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x204/ophala/IMG_0318.jpg

hi, well done, its so hard to do your own nails :irked:
they look really good, i would just try and aim to get a crisp white smile line, yours look just a little soft, i find i press a little then let the white settle for just about 3 or 4 seconds without touching it, then pad into shape. this gives a more definate smile line. they look a good shape overall and dont look like they would lift at all around the edges :)

i would suggest that doing your own sculptures is a lot of hard work and consumes so much of your time that you could be doing clients and generating income, that i would advice buying white tips (i like millenium french) and coat with clear gel or acrylic. its quick and easy and saves you so much time. they always look perfect and you dont have to worry about those smile lines ha ha.
hope this helps, i think taking photos is a great idea!! :)

hi, well done, its so hard to do your own nails :irked:
they look really good, i would just try and aim to get a crisp white smile line, yours look just a little soft, i find i press a little then let the white settle for just about 3 or 4 seconds without touching it, then pad into shape. this gives a more definate smile line. they look a good shape overall and dont look like they would lift at all around the edges :)

i would suggest that doing your own sculptures is a lot of hard work and consumes so much of your time that you could be doing clients and generating income, that i would advice buying white tips (i like millenium french) and coat with clear gel or acrylic. its quick and easy and saves you so much time. they always look perfect and you dont have to worry about those smile lines ha ha.
hope this helps, i think taking photos is a great idea!! :)
I agree they look great, putting white tips on yourself is a lot easier!:)

i would just try and aim to get a crisp white smile line, yours look just a little soft

Maybe the softness is deliberate? I have clients who prefer this look as it is more natural . . .

very nice hun, I would spend a couple more minutes finishing round the edges, maybe setting the white a tad further down as any growth whatsoever and they will look like they need a rebalance; the white free edge on the thumb needs taking a touch wider to match the width of the nailbed but hey, on yourself I reckon these are good!

i agree! i often use a clear tip that doesn't have to be blended but as it's my smile lines that need practise i wanted to do the sculpts!

2nd picture, the thumb looks like it's missing a piece? did you file it a little too much or maybe you should of added some more to the side? as for the smiles, I would of moved them a little bit further up the nail. The free edge peeks out just a tad. Personal preference and all. :)

but good job overall! (especially on yourself!!)

nice job and no screams of FAKE either...agreed that either placing the white a little lower to hide your natural smile line or using a coverage gel would make these even better, but i think you have done well....xx

think theyr fab!!! i love love love gel nails!!!! cant wait to do the course!!! :green:

nice job and no screams of FAKE either...agreed that either placing the white a little lower to hide your natural smile line or using a coverage gel would make these even better, but i think you have done well....xx
I was going to say the same, so I might aswell quote Angie!
I love the look of soft white - very clean and natural. I dont mind the 'softness' of the smile lines, but a couple look a little wobbly (could just be the pics).
Love the length.
You've done a good job - Well done for posting.

You have very nice Lunulas btw! Very even.....
Mine are only visable on 6 out of 10 fingers - and they're all different sizes. :rolleyes:

You have very nice Lunulas btw! Very even.....
Mine are only visable on 6 out of 10 fingers - and they're all different sizes. :rolleyes:

haha - thank you! my lunulas are thankful!

thanks for all your comments - has really boosted my confidence - only problem is i have to do a repair now as my left index finger half broke this morning while getting ready for work so i had to do an emergency glue job!

Hi Sophie

Well don i think that are fab.

Looks very nice. I do my own gel nails also, and I know the effort it takes.
Like others mentions, the smile line should be a little lower, so it will take longer for your own nail to show.
And then I think that you should make the smile line a little more dramatic (hope this is the right word). I find that this is one of the ways to differenciate between proffesional nail designers and "home-made" ones (hope I don't offend anyone, because I didn't mean to).
Good luck with your next set. (I will start trying some nail-art, after being inspired by this page)

i can't sculpt so i admire anyone that can

the fact you did a full set on yourself is just fab

well done you

Keep up the practice and u will get there with your own nails... personally I think white tips are a cop out, practice practice and practice... I can do a perfect flawless set of sculpts on my own nails in the same time it takes me to do a clients nails (1hr 15) and thats only come about due to lots of practice :)

thanks everyone! have taken everything on board - i knew when i'd finished that the smile line was too far up and as my nails grow quickly anyway that was probably silly!!

however, as lovely as they look i've now gone over them with bright orange nail polish and nail art that i'm so proud of!! so much easier on longer nails!!

Well you certainly have gorgeous nails to work on. Lovely long nail beds to die for.

I personally thought the nails could look slimmer and I think the whites are very murky at the smile line BUT on your nails almost anything would look good! :)

wow, you are really improving, theyre looking good.
like the others said, a little tiny bit flared at the tip and would be better with a crisper smile line. but you have great potential. bravo for persevering with the sculpting on your own hands.:)

thanks all again! i know i'm really lucky to have such long nail beds - especially as I used to bite my nails! I think i stopped young enough for them to put themselves right though!

Have a look in my gallery to see what they are like now they are painted though!!

I think they lovely and natural - no one would guess that they weren't home grown! :lol:

Latest posts

Back