Opinions on brands of gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VC2021

Reaction score
Good evening,

Looking for some advice please. I qualified in NVQ 2 & 3 Beauty Therapy 10 years ago and never pursued a career in that industry. I've now started thinking about becoming self employed nail technician. I think im going to starting by getting trained in gel polish and then move onto extensions if i believe it'll be of use to clients and my business
I've been speaking with a local nail tech and she's been giving me some advice on products she uses but would like some more advice/recommendations. The polish brands she's recommended is:
CND (closest beginners course is London and I'm in Norfolk)
Premier Gel
Gellifique
Caught you looking/Ugly duckling
Lacente

I honestly have no idea where to start with it all. I dont want to do an online course as think its beneficial to be in a class and practise properly.
Looking for products that have good staying power, easy removal and mid range price (not because im tight purely because gel polish treatments round my area are priced between £15-£20)

If you could give me some pointers in the right direction then I'd be hugely grateful please as I am clueless

Thank you if you've got this far and Happy New Year

Use the search facility on here, grab a cuppa and read previous threads, there are literally thousands of posts about brands and recommendations.

I am in a similar position to you. After doing my nvq in nail tech I did nvq level 2&3, but I went on to work in one of Duncan Bannatynes busy health spas in Manchester until I fled due to domestic violence, I gave up work to move 250 miles away with my children and it's been 10 years since I worked. I really want to start up my beauty therapy again but so much has changed, I haven't done a set of acrylics in so long and want something that isn't to expensive to re practice but something that isn't to cheap that it doesn't give good results.
This is my first time posting on here. I seen a post on here recently a lady reccomend glitterbels I've been on salon directs website and glitterbels wasn't too expensive maybe you could take a look on there.

I have a beauty salon and due to the circumstances I have to close for the time being; this is your perfect oppotunity to sample out a few polishes. I stock OPI Gels, The Manicure Company, Glitterbells, Ink London.
OPI Gel- which are good polishes however, they hardly have any new colour releases and quite pricey. Once I have used them all I will discontinue with this brand.
The Manicure Company - Love this Gel company! So many colours to choose from and they bring out so many new colours every season however the bottles are only 7ml which are quite small compared to other brands as they are 15ml. Very pigmented colours.
Glitterbells- Amazing gel company absolutely love these! Very pigmented and a wide variety to choose from. Very good price too.
Ink london- Love these too! Good colours too. Can buy them separately or buy them as a collection which is good option too; quite reasonable too.

Hope this helps :)

[edited as against the site rules to post trade prices]

Last edited by a moderator:
My preference is CND training for both shellac and enhancements. They aren't the cheapest, but the traing is good and it's a quality product. As long as you follow instructions, you will have good results. U can start by buying a few colours and build your selection as your clients increase.
Your previous training will come back to you, but CND training is comprehensive enough to cover any parts you've forgotten.

Please research the brands first before you use them. Have a look at there sds sheets and know where the product is coming from!! A few of the brands you have mentioned have had some bad comments on professional nail forums. Also I think messaging the brands and seeing how there customer service is, is also a big part. If you have any problems are they going to support you?

Latest posts

Back