Opinions on my application for volunteer work please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachael204

Reaction score
Hi geeks - thanks for taking the time to read this - please let me know if there is anything you would add/remove as I really want to volunteer at my local hospice and need to write and tell them why!

My personal reasons for wanting to volunteer at Katharine House Hospice.

My name is Rachael Oakley and I am a qualified beauty therapist and nail technician.
I have my own home based salon in Brackley, my business name is Eden Beauty, Brackley.
(Eden Beauty if you would like to see what I do.)

I am hoping to volunteer at Katharine House, to paint nails or provide other beauty treatments, whatever is deemed as suitable. As a beauty therapist I have developed the ability to chat for Britain but also to listen to other peoples problems sympathetically.
I am a naturally cheerful person and have (I am told) an unusual sense of humour!

Working in an environment where the primary concern is to make the best of what you have, to make the customer feel better about themselves, for them to have some time to relax and unwind, to chat about their day, problems etc has made me realise how something small like having a manicure can really change someone's day.

As a beauty therapist I understand the importance of client confidentiality, all records are kept in accordance with the data protection act and I often hear things that customers may not even tell their family or friends.

I feel that I have a great deal to give and by coming into the hospice and treating patients and/or their family members to a beauty treatment I can perhaps bring a tiny piece of normality into their day, something to look forward to perhaps or just to chat to someone different.

As the position will involve direct contact with the patients I understand that by the nature of your facility that I will encounter death and sadness regularly. It would be untrue and unrealistic to say that this won't affect me but I hope that I will cope as I am well aware that people I may get close to will pass away. I hope that knowing that the patients when they die are out of pain and no longer suffering will help.

I do try and help with fundraising, doing the Race for Life and offering raffle prizes from my business but I would also like to donate my time as I really think that I have something to offer. If I can make one persons time in Katherine House slightly brighter then it has to be worth it.

Reading this back it all seems fairly formal and I realise this is not a job application but I want to be taken seriously, I really do want to volunteer and hope I am successful!

Thank you for taking the time to read my application.

Rachael. Its excellent, very well put together and Im sure they will be very pleased to welcome you as a volunteer.

I admire you for giving your time to a good cause and helping bring some happiness to people as they deal with a difficult and sad situation...

I believe you get back from life what you put in... so good for you..

Good luck and I hope it all goes well...
Jack

thank you Jack x

Latest posts

Back