Opinions on red and black/purple hair please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairbyme

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping some of you could give me some advice on how you would achieve this look please. Client has naturally dark hair, around a level 4. Obviously I'll be doing some tests on her hair to make sure we can actually achieve the colours she wants. I am planning on doing this at college, possibly as an assessment but I haven't decided yet. So I'm not asking about colours etc, just trying to decide which technique I'd like to use assuming we can achieve the colours.

From the pictures she has sent me, my first thought was a full head of slices. Since she wants more red than purple, I'd do 2:1. Then I considered whether to do back to back weaved foils so they blend together nicely, perhaps with one red slice in-between each foil since she wants the red to stand out more. I also thought about maybe doing the occasional ombre slice. So I'm just wondering whether any of these ideas sound better than others, or whether I'm even along the right tracks

Thank you!

Attachments

• Dark-Bold-Red-and-Black.jpg
    Dark-Bold-Red-and-Black.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 22
I don't see purple, I see a vibrant red with a dark background. I think the purple that you can see is actually an optical illusion. I genuinely think it's finer bits of the red blending in to the background colour.
What do you plan to use? I'm thinking maybe a half head of weaves and slices, and cover the lower half of the head with something like colour touch 4/71. And then with the the hair left out inbetween on the top, I'd paint on the same formula using a balayage technique on the ends. Take a look at Magma if you're a wella user. It will definitely lift through the level 4 and it will be as vibrant as the photo.

Thanks so much for your reply, that's very helpful. Yes I do agree, I actually did say to the client earlier that I think it's the lighting or something on the photo causing the purple tones. I also mentioned that she doesn't necessarily need a second darker colour, as her natural colour is already similar and would look lovely with the red. She did say that she would like a slight purple tone in the darker colour though, although I will mention it again and tell her that it should still give the same illusion once it's against the red.

I usually use matrix but the college use L'Oréal so I think I'll use majicontrast magenta/red. I've never used it before but I'll test some on her hair first and hopefully it will be as vibrant as the photo.

I've never done anything as vibrant as this and the photo looks different every time I look at it haha! Now I've read your reply I've realised it doesn't look like there is any red on the bottom half of the head, so as you said I'll do half a head of weaves and slices and then fill the bottom half and the left out hair with the darker colour. It probably won't be half as complicated as I'm making it in my head Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your reply, that's very helpful. Yes I do agree, I actually did say to the client earlier that I think it's the lighting or something on the photo causing the purple tones. I also mentioned that she doesn't necessarily need a second darker colour, as her natural colour is already similar and would look lovely with the red. She did say that she would like a slight purple tone in the darker colour though, although I will mention it again and tell her that it should still give the same illusion once it's against the red.

I usually use matrix but the college use L'Oréal so I think I'll use majicontrast magenta/red. I've never used it before but I'll test some on her hair first and hopefully it will be as vibrant as the photo.

I've never done anything as vibrant as this and the photo looks different every time I look at it haha! Now I've read your reply I've realised it doesn't look like there is any red on the bottom half of the head, so as you said I'll do half a head of weaves and slices and then fill the bottom half and the left out hair with the darker colour. It probably won't be half as complicated as I'm making it in my head Thanks again!
Yeah I definitely think you're over thinking it, it looks much more fancy and complicated because it's curled. I'm not too familiar with loreal. But if there's a level 4 with a hint of mahogany and or violet that would also work well if the clients insisting. As for majircontrast I've heard good things about this it works in a very similar way to the Magma I mentioned above. Just something to bear in mind, is how you're going to refresh the colour in the future.

Ahh thank you, I do feel much better about it now. Yes I do tend to overcomplicate and stress out about things haha, but it usually turns out to be for no reason and everything goes as planned. I think you're right, it is just because of the colours and curls looking fancy. But your advice has been amazing, I'll do that thank you!

As for refreshing it, I have informed the client that it will be high maintenance. This will be my first time using majicontrast or similar products so I'm not sure what would be best to refresh the red. But I'll definitely look into it and I could also ask my tutors if there are any quasi's/semi's that they find are particularly good for refreshing majicontrast. If not I'll have to test a few out and see what we find works the best.

Latest posts

Back