Opinions on sugaring/waxing young girls please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hope

Reaction score
I have been approach at school by the mother of an 8 year old, who is very dark haired. She has started over the past few months to have noticeable hair on her top lip and I have been asked if I would consider sugaring it. Now I have to be honest and say that I am finding it hard to decide. A big part of me feels that she is so young and this really shouldn't be something that she should have to do, yet with girls maturing so much younger these days, periods staring sooner etc is this just something that is changing too? If this hair is upsetting her is there any harm in sugaring her?

I look forward to your points of view xxx

I just couldn't bring myself to do it personally..i'm not saying it is wrong if it is causing huge upset but on someone so young my training and instincts all go against it.
Im not sure whether most insurances would cover children.If it is only a recent thing maybe she should take her to the doctors as first port of call.

She is a bit young really, could she not have it bleached if its causeing so much embaressment, just a thought :hug:

She is a bit young really, could she not have it bleached if its causeing so much embaressment, just a thought :hug:

I will recommend this. Thank you xx

I just couldn't bring myself to do it personally..i'm not saying it is wrong if it is causing huge upset but on someone so young my training and instincts all go against it.

No this is my gut instinct too, I guess I just wanted to hear some other points of view :hug:

She is very young, I had this problem from an early age but not as young as 8 where it bothered me, more into the teen years, but before I had it waxed I always used Jolen bleach and it did the trick, unless she is dak skinned also when bleaching wouldn't do the trick.

She is very young, I had this problem from an early age but not as young as 8 where it bothered me, more into the teen years, but before I had it waxed I always used Jolen bleach and it did the trick, unless she is dak skinned also when bleaching wouldn't do the trick.

She is Olive skinned, and all of her body hair is black. She has very hairy arms, legs etc, but they don't bother her, it is just her upper lip.

More of an Italian skin then? Maybe bleaching would do the converse and highlight the hair even more than the dark hair.

Very difficult situation, especially if she is being teased about it at school, but I wouldn't wax an upper lip on a girl so young.

More of an Italian skin then? Maybe bleaching would do the converse and highlight the hair even more than the dark hair.

Very difficult situation, especially if she is being teased about it at school, but I wouldn't wax an upper lip on a girl so young.

Thanks Honey xx

i would have to think of it like nails...and although i don't agree with young girls having nails on and my girls certainly don't and wont....i have to understand that not every mother thinks the same way....i have no right to enforce my believes or opinions on anyone, so yes if the child and the mother agree then i would. (i do however think the bleaching method would be more comfortable for the little girl) xxx

Thank you for your thoughts Angie.

I don't think there is an easy answer xx

Thank you for your thoughts Angie.

I don't think there is an easy answer xx

no i agree...its a hard one isn't it. I used to refuse point blank to do kids nails as i just thought it was wrong...but then someone on here explained things to me in a different way and i could see what she meant.

I am sure whatever you do will be the right thing for her....:hug: xx

I have been approach at school by the mother of an 8 year old, who is very dark haired. She has started over the past few months to have noticeable hair on her top lip and I have been asked if I would consider sugaring it. Now I have to be honest and say that I am finding it hard to decide. A big part of me feels that she is so young and this really shouldn't be something that she should have to do, yet with girls maturing so much younger these days, periods staring sooner etc is this just something that is changing too? If this hair is upsetting her is there any harm in sugaring her?

I look forward to your points of view xxx

if she is getting teased (and probably bullied/traumatised) i personally dont see a prob in doing it?

If her mum agreed and signed disclaimer saying she agreed then i would do it.

Just MY opinion though !

amb x

My daughter has had this problem for the last few years and after a lot of thought we decided to use a hair removal cream I have to say I have never seen anyone so excited about getting rid of some hair:green:

We use it under arm aswell with no problems at all.

if she is getting teased (and probably bullied/traumatised) i personally dont see a prob in doing it?

If her mum agreed and signed disclaimer saying she agreed then i would do it.

Just MY opinion though !

amb x

Thanks Amb xx

Thats why this site is so fantastic, you always get heaps of advice.

My thoughts exactly.

Marlise

The thing is with hair on the face is that it is often due to other factors other than it just there,Hormones are one so it may settle down after she starts her periods.Medication,some medical problems,use of steroid cremes can all make hair grow.
Waxing yes great but faces dont always react the same as everywhere else.For every strong obvious hair there is often a weak downy hair also getting waxed and sometimes it does make the hair stronger.It also has to be grown to wax it so it is still going to be there at certain times.As her skin gets oilier into puberty waxing may well cause spots and ingrowing hairs in this area particularly if the waxer is inexperienced.In the summer the area may become pigmented as the skin in someone that age is very delicate and not at all 'weathered'.If in the future she wants to have electrolysis or laser these may well be unsuccessful due to distortion of the hair follicle so the needle and current cannot travel efficiently down to the hair base.
Starting so young is looking at years and years of waxing..brilliant if it weakens it until it eventually dissappear but how many therapists can honestly say they have seen this happen that much on upperlips if it had people wouldnt be paying out hundreds for laser and electrolysis.
If it really has to be gone then i would opt for waxing other than creme which definately makes the hair stronger and never ever shave.

Just to put it another way i have a 15 year old daughter whos lip i bleach I have a very lengthy experience of waxing ...all different kinds and i do electrolysis but at the mo i wont do anything other than bleach to hers.

I would certainly check with your insurance company before performing any treatment on a child of that age. Many companies have a minimum age for treatments, so you should make sure you will not invalidate your policy.

I would certainly check with your insurance company before performing any treatment on a child of that age. Many companies have a minimum age for treatments, so you should make sure you will not invalidate your policy.
It has been mentioned about getting the parent to sign a disclaimer but i think even this is dodgy ground as you are dealing with a very young child if anything did happen i think someone could be in a lot of trouble and i wouldnt think a disclaimer would protect them.

Latest posts

Back