Opinions please, can I do anything with this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toothfairy

Reaction score
Hi All,

My mum has asked if I can help with her thumb nail (pic below).
She had a dent caused by traumer some time ago and it has now grown out towards the free edge. Problem being she has been catching it at work, it's now split and tender if any pressure is put on it.
She has also got a slight dent further down the nail, again due to trauma i believe as she works in retail and is always using her hands.
She has been putting a plaster in it to try and protect it.
I cannot see any signs of infection or bruising.
Can you suggest any ways of treating this or should i leave it alone?
Thanks in advance.

DSC_0049.jpg

Hi All,

My mum has asked if I can help with her thumb nail (pic below).
She had a dent caused by traumer some time ago and it has now grown out towards the free edge. Problem being she has been catching it at work, it's now split and tender if any pressure is put on it.
She has also got a slight dent further down the nail, again due to trauma i believe as she works in retail and is always using her hands.
She has been putting a plaster in it to try and protect it.
I cannot see any signs of infection or bruising.
Can you suggest any ways of treating this or should i leave it alone?
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 10197

I would probably think some kind of enhancement or gel polish or shellac to try and strengthen it and protect her from catching it further if it's causing her discomfort.

Hopefully someone else will be along to suggest something in particular (as I only do l&p)

Sorry that probably doesn't help much!

I would do an acrylic overlay till it's grown out so she wont have anymore nail traumas while these grow out

I think shellac is too thin to 'fix' the dent on this nail. It smoothes out fine ridges, but that's a whopper! I'd do a gel or L&P overlay providing there was no infection or contra indication. But first off, I'd file off that awful crumbling free edge! I would of had to do that before I even took a picture of it lol. :)

I would put L & P on this or a buff off gel as either are stronger than a soak off gel/gel polish.
I would also give her a nice new short free edge to even her free edge out but I would sculpt not use tips.
By where the dent is located, she's looking at approx another 3 to 6 months to full outgrow this depending if her nails grow fast or not.
But in between time you can definitely help her by adding some cover and strength:)

I would clip off what I can from the free edge and then do a gentle file with a 240 like a Kanga file (CND) to seal the free edge. It dosnt look like the new dent has hit the matrix so hopefully this will grow out like the old dent with no permanent damage.

I would NOT put L&P or a hard gel over that just because if she bangs her finger again (wich seems likely) you could do some real damage. Autch.

I actually think something like Shellac would be really great for her. I know it wouldnt fik the dent but I think in this case it would be the best solution.

And

I would do an acrylic overlay till it's grown out so she wont have anymore nail traumas while these grow out

Perfect solution.

Just L&P overlay and of course keep short n sweet. You can use the minimum amount to get the job done, you do not need to make it thick.

Repairing traumatised nails and making them look perfect again is my favourite thing to do for someone. I used to know a podiatrist who sent all his cases like this one to me for 'make overs'. I always used L&P and the results were amazing. I regret now that I never took pictures ... No mobile phones in those days. Imagine that!

I would overlay with L&P. The first dent probably wont grow out if its been caused by trauma sometime ago.

I had a lady who came to me with both her thumb nails looking like this. (much much worst infact) She didn't know how it happened and said that her thumb nails have been like this since as long as she can remember, since being a little girl. She said that they never grow and just crumble away from the free edge. I did some research on it and found a condition called onochotrophia (probably spelt this wrong) which resembled her condition but i couldn't be sure.
I went ahead and overlayed her thumb nails with sculpts, after a few months the condition did improve but the dent did remain, but had had grown away from the curicle line. She was able to grow her thumb nails out with a free edge with the help of L&P. She was so thrilled that her thumbs looked a normal shape so she could do her usual polishing on herself. I overlays them for about 6 months before we took the overlay off.
I haven't seen her for a while now so think things went well.
Sorry about the quality of the pics, i had an old camera then!

Attachments

• Disorder 1.jpg
    Disorder 1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 241
  • Disorder 2.jpg
    Disorder 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 235
Normally I would say L&P as well. But Geeg wouldnt you be conserned that if she damages her nail again (probably getting i smashed in the cashregister like I use to do working retail) that the damage is much worse because the L&P breakes and breaking the natural nail with it?

She states that the first dent HAS grown out and I hardly think the to cases is compatible.

Normally I would say L&P as well. But Geeg wouldnt you be conserned that if she damages her nail again (probably getting i smashed in the cashregister like I use to do working retail) that the damage is much worse because the L&P breakes and breaking the natural nail with it?
It is my experience, that more often than not, acrylic acts as a protection against the injury of a weakend or injured nail plate.

I have repaired and covered nails like this before with bio sculpture gel overlay with a tiny bit of silk on the split to give it extra strength x

L&P it is :) Keep us updated. I would love to see the finished makeover and how the nail does over time.

Hi,

As a lady previously suggested, I would be inclined to use Bio Sculpture on this. There is no filing required so as not to cause further potential trauma. You say your mum works with her hands a lot, so I imagine they're not too long? The Bio will flex with your mums nail, therefore if she was to bash it, again there would be less pain and trauma then L&P which may crack and cause pain.

It looks ike there maybe some ridges from what I can see in the pic. You can fill them in and even them out with some sculpting gel. Also if your mum would like to even out the free edge and create a litte length you could apply silk and create a small sculpture to prevent the need to file the free edge, no tips required.

Hope you get it sorted.

I too would use Bio Sculpture to give some flexibility in my opinion I would of thought L & P would be too hard.

Hi all,
Thanks for all your comments.
I shall see if i can help her at the weekend when i see her.
I will take pics too and let you know how i get on.
Thanks again ; o)

Sent from my MT15i using SalonGeek

It is my experience, that more often than not, acrylic acts as a protection against the injury of a weakend or injured nail plate.
My son's girfriend had gel polish on her toes (not L&P but still relevant) when she visited her friend at the stables a horse trod on her foot (she was in flip flops ouch!) and the doctor at A&E told her that the overlay had saved her nail!

Hi All,

I have tried putting L&P on my mums nail today.
I decided to use clear so I can keep an eye on it whilst it grows. I covered it with nail polish so that can be removed easily to check progress but still hides the dips etc.
However I think I may have done it too think.
The filing/buffing was tender for her but not unbarible if done slowly.
I'm just hoping that she does ok with it.
I have attached two pics below, one with the clear L&P and one once I put polish over the top.

I would be grateful if you could let me know what you think and if i did the right thing. Thanks ; )

Attachments

• DSC_0058[1].jpg
    DSC_0058[1].jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0060[1].jpg
    DSC_0060[1].jpg
    140 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Hi All,

I have tried putting L&P on my mums nail today.
I decided to use clear so I can keep an eye on it whilst it grows. I covered it with nail polish so that can be removed easily to check progress but still hides the dips etc.
However I think I may have done it too think.
The filing/buffing was tender for her but not unbarible if done slowly.
I'm just hoping that she does ok with it.
I have attached two pics below, one with the clear L&P and one once I put polish over the top.

I would be grateful if you could let me know what you think and if i did the right thing. Thanks ; )

I hope you don't mind me pointing you in the direction of these tutorials. From the second picture the nail looks very lumpy, and I know you said her nail was sore, BUT if you apply your prduct well enough you should need to do minimal buffing. You could even try 'popits' (if they're still around) for someone who is finding buffing painful. Hopefully these will help you. :)

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8671-brush-control-part-1-getting-grip.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8748-brush-control-part-2-getting-angles.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/63349-popits-step-easy-step.html

And this one will help you get your polish lookig perfect! :)
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/11972-precision-polishing.html

Last edited:
I've just had a look at your profile, and it doesn't say that you're qualified in L&P? Just gel, silk and fiberglass? If this is the case you should have probably stuck to using something which you were used to, especially on a problem nail. Just in case you have a problem with your application of the product itself, on top of the problem nail. You could have a case of Double trouble!

Latest posts

Back