Opinions please! Ichill licence free music?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotteellen3

Charlotte
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you all had a lovely Easter :)

I've been looking at past threads on this topic but they all seem quite dated now, so thought I would ask for some more up to date advice.

I'm looking at the cost of starting up my own salon in a cabin in my garden, and something I'm unsure on is playing royalty free music. Does anyone on here use ichill (or anything similar) ? If so what do you think of it? I was quoted £300 for a music license which I personally think is quite high, when it will only be myself and one other client in the salon at a time!

I'm really desperate to avoid being fined in anyway or doing something wrong so would appreciate your advice so much! Thank you x

I use ichill in my home based salon. Very happy with the music

I chill all the way. It’s only background music so you don’t need lyrics etc and they have loads of choice. X

Thank you so much everyone, I'm definitely going to give ichill a try after your feedback x

Hi. I’m looking to open a salon also I didn’t realise you had to have a music licence, what’s ichill I’ve never heard of that? x

I didn't realise either! You have to get a licence to be able to play music, as its being played in a business not for personal use, this link is a bit better at explaining it - https://www.gov.uk/licence-to-play-live-or-recorded-music

Ichill is a website/app where you can play royalty free music which means you don't need to have a licence x

And if you do play it without a license and they catch you, they will back date the fees from when you first registered... not worth the risk.

Do check more than once if you need a license and you're running a salon from home. I was told I did when I started out from home, so I bought a license. I then moved house and moved my salon into the garage. I contacted them to change the address and they told me I didn't need a license for a home salon and reimbursed me.
Their complete lack of knowing what they were doing meant that when I opened my salon I just went with ichill and am very happy with it.

Vic x

Do check more than once if you need a license and you're running a salon from home. I was told I did when I started out from home, so I bought a license. I then moved house and moved my salon into the garage. I contacted them to change the address and they told me I didn't need a license for a home salon and reimbursed me.
Their complete lack of knowing what they were doing meant that when I opened my salon I just went with ichill and am very happy with it.

Vic x
Sounds like standard government/council communication to me hehe.

Contact PRS/PPL. I suspect if its your home your working from, you don't need a license because your just listening to your own music in the course of your normal working day. If that were the case other workplaces would have to obtain a license to use a radio. Additionally, if you keep records on people (CLIENTS) you will need to register with the information control officer for data protection. Everyone forgets that one. Its about £40 a year. To be honest though if you're working from home. Who is going to check up on you? It's not a public place where just anyone can just walk into and this would be your defense. People have to call to make an appointment and you have to answer the door to let them in.

Nicky x

Latest posts

Back