Opinions please - rent a chair vs going mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMack_Ox

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice? I've been hairdressing for 5 years and I'm stuck trying to decide what to do. Shall I go mobile or rent a chair?

I have a great clientele at the moment. I'm employed but due to bad experiences and the salon closing, I'm not sure what to do.

Mobile v Rent a chair.
Which do you prefer and why? Please give me your opinions.

thankyou xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of advice? I've been hairdressing for 5 years and I'm stuck trying to decide what to do. Shall I go mobile or rent a chair?

I have a great clientele at the moment. I'm employed but due to bad experiences and the salon closing, I'm not sure what to do.

Mobile v Rent a chair.
Which do you prefer and why? Please give me your opinions.

thankyou xx

I think I would prefer rent a chair because you will meet more people and will have a better chance of keeping busy :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

A lot of your clients come to you but I'm guessing discovered you in a salon, a lot of ppl prefer visiting a salon rather than mobile, plus renting a chair gives you more structure so you don't have big gaps in between and a far distance to travel in between x

This may be way out of the question but could you not look at taking over the salon and building that up as your business? X

Thanks for all your opinions guys! I would consider taking over but would rather have a lot of money behind me to do so lol! Going to look at renting a chair maybe 3 days a week see how it goes! Xxxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Iv been hairdressing ten years and started chair renting 2 years ago. Was the best decision iv made. Home hairdressing isn't for a lot of clients, and I think I would have lost a few clients going mobile. In salon you are meeting new clients all the time and keeping busy. For me it's the best of both worlds, working for myself but without the worry and commitment of having a salon. Good luck!

Thank you! Yes renting a chair sounds the better option! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Renting a chair is a great option if you get the deal you want.
Take into consideration what their salon prices are/what you could charge mobile to you're clients you have already/ available staff to help you in the Salon I.e. Juniors /colour techs/ hours you're required to work.
I found mobile worked best for me with my existing clientele and working around kids and school runs.
I offer discounts for group bookings so cuts down on my travelling time and builds my clientele at the same time.
All my money I earn is my own and love having the freedom of choosing what days I work and taking holidays etc.
I think a perfect scenario would be to work in a salon 1or 2 days and mobile the rest of the week then you still are in touch with the industry as a business and hear about new products/ trends etc.
I do miss the buzz of a salon but love seeing my kids more of course, :) so works for me.

I've been mobile just over 2 years and I absolutely love it!i had a big clientele who 90% followed me,some yes like the salon but all mine that did follow me say they don't care about the salon their just glad I cut there hair,plus it's cheaper for them and more suitable with them meaning if they've got children or later evenings.
I looked into renting a chair but she wanted 40% and I was the one bringing clients to her salon plus by the time I'd put 20% away for tax I wanted to earn as much as I could for me ha.

Latest posts

Back