Opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONSLJ

Reaction score
If you have a minute could I have some constructive criticism on this before and after. I’m a level 2 student and this is the first balayage I have done on a client (friend)
She had previously bleached and box dyed her hair so it was a challenge for me!
Thank You
0cd165cb58c6adb98390b099e9f23a3e.jpg
27b4b877cf051583f8423c1f8972db5c.jpg
4b25a70b3bfeeca96c8136b15f06d2d9.jpg

If you have a minute could I have some constructive criticism on this before and after. I’m a level 2 student and this is the first balayage I have done on a client (friend)
She had previously bleached and box dyed her hair so it was a challenge for me!
Thank You
0cd165cb58c6adb98390b099e9f23a3e.jpg
27b4b877cf051583f8423c1f8972db5c.jpg
4b25a70b3bfeeca96c8136b15f06d2d9.jpg
Being completely honest it doesn't look much like balayage to me, but it's certainly doesn't look bad! It's nice and the lighter parts are even and has a very healthy shine! Nothing to worry about but If I was the client I would probably expect the ends to be lighter. Have a look on Instagram and follow lisalovesbalayage.
And also you can find professional videos on the likes of YouTube. Hope this helps. I hope this helps, if you have any question feel free to message me :)

Being completely honest it doesn't look much like balayage to me, but it's certainly doesn't look bad! It's nice and the lighter parts are even and has a very healthy shine! Nothing to worry about but If I was the client I would probably expect the ends to be lighter. Have a look on Instagram and follow lisalovesbalayage.
And also you can find professional videos on the likes of YouTube. Hope this helps. I hope this helps, if you have any question feel free to message me :)

Thank you for replying, yes it didn’t quite come out as I’d expected either, although we were both happy with the results. I do follow lisalovesbalayage thank you I think just lots more practise and altering technique is needed. Have you any views on the zigzag sectioning for balayage (sorry don’t know the technical term)[emoji85] thanks again for your help and suggestions

Thank you for replying, yes it didn’t quite come out as I’d expected either, although we were both happy with the results. I do follow lisalovesbalayage thank you I think just lots more practise and altering technique is needed. Have you any views on the zigzag sectioning for balayage (sorry don’t know the technical term)[emoji85] thanks again for your help and suggestions
I usually stagger the sections so you don't get sections of colour falling directly over sections of colour, think almost like a brickwind technique.

Also treat the head like a box/square from behind, I usually start at the nape with a straight section, then I take a slightly diagonal section on the sides (edges of your square ), but also staggering sections, also don't be afraid to change the width of your sections throught, don't take the sections too deep.

Thanks so much you’ve been really helpful I’m going to get practising!

Looks beautiful! Maybe try being a little braver next time and up the developer and incubate in foils for a brighter lift - placement looks greats just needs to be a bit brighter [emoji4]
Edit - also try and concentrate on keeping a bit of contrast between the blondes and the darker root! And blast up that money piece [emoji8]

Balayage just means freehand painting so you just need to think carefully about placement, where you want the lighter pieces to fall. This is where you need to use your creativity so don’t be limited by your sectioning patterns.
If you can, grab some head blocks and practise as it won’t be wasted.

Latest posts

Back