Opportunity Knocks...Or does it.....??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

champagne

Reaction score
Hi Geeks......this is a difficult one ...

Now I cant say too much but....

Would you be happy to promote/demo professional beauty products to the general untrained public on live TV?

To include Gel Nails, Stick on Temporary Nails & other beauty products.....

I would be promoting these products on behalf of a large established UK based company......

This would be a great opportunity for me & may lead on to other things.

I am not asking for you to make a decision for me, I would just like to hear your views.

I have paid good money for excellent training, I feel able to promote and demo these products. Whether the general public could actually do it themselves is a different matter, im guessing very few would be able to do it.

As a nail tech I would probably watch something like this on TV and think omg whatever next...& would be thinking of damaged nails etc etc...

As a member of the public I would watch it and think wow, I could do my own nails....I will buy some of that...

Business is business & money pays the bills......but is there a big moral question mark here??

Should my personal views come into this?

Have any of you been in a similar situtation, if so, any advice.

I think your personal views should come in to whatever you decide because you have to be comfortable with what you do.

I hope you reach the right decision best for you xx

What I would be very wary of is that you are not given the chance to do it your way, and they ask you to do things in a certain way as it 'films' better or 'fits into the time slot' quicker.

I always remember watching the first THE SALON. The Irish salon manager kept on and on about how things should be done and everyone ignored her as it 'didn't make good TV', in the end she sort of gave up.

I am well aware of what they want me to do....this is my problem....I can do it .....but should I be selling it, knowing what I know.....

I dont believe for one minute the public could do some of what im going to do....but....am I the one who should be judging that? They are purely asking me to promote their products.

Im there to demo & sell .... hmmmm.....& also where could this work lead to for me??

That post sounds really offish ...... its not meant to be honest lol

I remember seeing glimpses of a certain TV program here where they actually showed 'how to do' nails - gels or acrylics, don't remember which - the TV was on as a background while I was buzy with sth else so I didn't pay much attention.
But I did cast a glance at the designs in the end because they finished the nails off with some design - 3d or freehand art. Looked ghastly - I just recall something green with red flowers on it - don't remember exactly. Besides it looked totally unprofessional as if a child had been playing at nails.

Seeing a program like this would only put me off, deffinitely not turn me on.

But then I don't know what it is you will do (if you will, that is).
On the one hand I would even welcome raising awareness of the general public in this way because it seems to me that people in general are not very aware of the possibilities and advantages of artificial nails.

I personally couldn't promote anything that takes business away from the salon/proffesional....this is my Industry and I feel its my duty to protect it.

I don't want clients handing money over to QVC/Boots etc and sat at home doing DIY nail services...I want them sat in my salon, having the whole salon experience and getting the job done right.

yep this is another reason for this thread and why im struggling.......

But alongside that I am thinking long term ..... hmmmm

Thanks for the comments so far geekys xx

I personally couldn't promote anything that takes business away from the salon/proffesional....this is my Industry and I feel its my duty to protect it.

I don't want clients handing money over to QVC/Boots etc and sat at home doing DIY nail services...I want them sat in my salon, having the whole salon experience and getting the job done right.

You forget that to produce professionally looking nails takes lots of daily practice.
It's like comparing good restaurant food to ready meals. Many people are discerning, actually.

Have I understood the situation correctly?
You have been asked to promote products for the general public to do their own nail enhancements?
If that's the case then I THINK would say no.
I admit it would be tempting simply from a bussines point and I'm sure you would ensure that evrybody be made aware of relevant h&s.But would you have control over what is broadcasted?
It's hard to give a defenite yes or no answer without knowing the full details.
Good luck with your decision.
:hug:

This is the toughest decision of my career so far Del.......

There are many ways to look at this and I am searching my heart and soul...

Thats what I was trying to get across and Del did is very well, what control will you have over what you are going to say?

I have a meeting to go to where that will all be discussed.....but my guess is that I would be raving about the products and telling all how fab & easy they are...

Its ok lol .......none of this is personal....its all peoples opinions..

I have a meeting to go to where that will all be discussed.....but my guess is that I would be raving about the products and telling all how fab & easy they are...

Are they fab and easy?

its a tough one, but i think having thought about it long and hard. I dont think I would do it.

I wouldnt want my face and name being used to promote something that could damage nails. simple as!

Also, I am the type of person that unless I believe in it 100% I cant sell it, but of course thats my opinion only.

I do hope you find the right answer for you and I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do.

tigi
xxxx

You forget that to produce professionally looking nails takes lots of daily practice.
It's like comparing good restaurant food to ready meals. Many people are discerning, actually.

As you quoted me I presume your post was in reply to mine...I do not forget anything...hence my reply said "getting the job done right" :)

So the idea would be to encourage the public to make their own nails?

How does that equate with a "professional nail company" selling professional products to non-professionals?

The public can see how to "make nails" by watching YouTube - but responsible nail product manufacturers and suppliers don't sell to the untrained public. Would this "professional nail company" also provide health and safety education and inform their clients on the risks of overexposure?

Here we are in 2009, with nail techs earning 50% of the average hairdresser per hour and instead of making the products more exclusive and helping nails techs earn more - a "professional nail company" denigrates the product and essentially tells the consumers that any fool can make nails, why not save some money and give it a go yourself!

This may make them money, but the status of professional nail techs will be lower and quite possibly customers may demand lower prices - "or I'll make'em myself".

Good that you have the conscience to question this, and I understand in this climate that the money is tempting and may even be necessary.

But shame on them!!

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works now and give the opposite opinion. At the end of the day I would rather people went to a salon and had their nails done properly but I was one of those people that used to do my own before I was qualified. The people who buy the stuff would buy it anyway but prob a different make and at the end of the day if you dont do it someone else will. It could lead to other opertunities so if someone will be doing it anyway it may as well be you xx

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works now and give the opposite opinion. At the end of the day I would rather people went to a salon and had their nails done properly but I was one of those people that used to do my own before I was qualified. The people who buy the stuff would buy it anyway but prob a different make and at the end of the day if you don't do it someone else will. It could lead to other opportunities so if someone will be doing it anyway it may as well be you xx

I love a spanner thrown in :hug: but isn't this like saying "if you cant beat em join em"....?? what next...?? DIY fillings....:irked:

I just think that we need to protect our industry, not help to destroy it.

Ye I agree but I just know that someone will do it because not everyone will think about it like that

Latest posts

Back