Orange harsh line with foils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmarsh

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am getting so frustrated:( I have watched so many foiling videos and have learned foiling in school etc .. I STILL end up with harsh lines and at the top of my foils have an orange line.. it’s not bleed marks but more like an orange band on my foils .. I do get bleed marks on the crown of the head .. I lightly feather up my bleach and am super careful and meticulous so I am getting so frustrated. I don’t know if maybe I don’t saturate enough ar the top ?? But I don’t want the foils to bleed because I am so worried. Also I usually do tons of little back to back baby lights so maybe I am packing my foils too tightly? I now my bleach not too runny and seem to follow all advice I have heard . Any tips I would greatly appreciate! Thanks

Hmmm....sounds like it could be something like tight packing/folding which can squish force some bleach up & out of foil placement resulting in a no heat weaker outcome where processing power is way weaker only lifting to a lv.6-7 raw in a band....too much bleach in foil maybe!?.....thicker bleach maybe!?..... I will outline what I do next to see if any technique may help you...

After weaving hair to be in foil, pull hair upwards/place pintail comb with foil (fine grade foil is easier to manipulate) lined up directly under pulled up hair to be bleached/ bring hair down over pintail with foil & give the comb a slight jiggle upward as you bring hair downward. This gets right to scalp by using the sectioned hair to fold the foil over the pintail for precise placement.
I use a color brush that has shorter bristles than average by 1/2 the regular length(you can cut a standard brush in half the length) especially on finer hair types. Don't load too much bleach on brush/ first apply bleach 1/2"-1" from scalp to remove bulk of the bleach/using corner of the brush vertically, lightly touch root @ scalp & sweep downwards twisting brush horizontally to standard position going downward right through first touch of bleach applied & beyond. Apply more if needed through rest of length starting in the sweep downward./ fold foil in half once/ run comb lightly across folded foil/ use comb tines to dent 1 end vertically of foil/ tap 2× the dent folding it over to close the side. Can repeat on other side of foil if needed or skip other side if not needed(easier removal 1 side closed only) I always leave a veil or thicker section between foils unless special case like corrective coloring or full color panel sectioned coloring+few foils.... Hope this works for you!

Hi! Thanks SO much for your reply and tips. How much space do you leave between foils if you want someone to be super blonde ? I think I am packing the foils too tight.,if a client is darker and wants to be blonde I worry it will look stripey unless I do a ton of baby lights and I feel like I am smooshing the foils below. Anyways thanks so much again for all of your words and tips ! Hope you’re having a great weekend !

Also wondering why you use a shorter bristle brush ? Again I appreciate all the tips !

Try folding the bit you usually fold over your pintail fold it under if that makes sense I paint right to the the root and and don’t get any bleeding also consistency of bleach and section size to foil.

Also wondering why you use a shorter bristle brush ? Again I appreciate all the tips !
I find it is not as floppy as the traditional length bristled color brushes making it more precise good on fine hair & holds less bulk of bleach/color ...good for doing finer hairtypes right to scalp using the corner of the bristles with a gentle sweep.

Super blond....I generally do a varied weave in foil 1/2"-1/4" each segment of the weave at random leaving 1/4" out between foils top-lower crown & first front of sides (T zone) & 1/4-1/2" space for the rest 1/2 of the head.

- Try doing the top foils not in a straight section but rather a diagonal line foil placement instead (say rear right of crown through the left side of top-left front hairline) In 2 rows. I will go with the heavy side of the parting if available but it doesn't really matter much. This technique results in a more random placement of color so partings won't be matched up symmetrically color wise so there is no worry of that horrid stripey look that happens if too symmetrical foil placement is done especially along the parting!
Thank you for your appreciation!

Wow thanks so much fir all of your tips !!

Latest posts

Back