Orange highlights to ash

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennhartt

Reaction score
Hi guys
I’m a freelance hairdresser who mainly cuts but I’m doing colour models to further my knowledge.
I have a client who has had a bad colour job. She’s a base 5 and had highlights which are orange. She wants to go back to a cool tone so I need to tone it all down but keep some lights . I was thinking to bleach foil 10vol over the orange to lift it out to pale yellow then put a 10/12 milkshake toner over everything to cool it. I want to flood a CT 8/1 in between but I’m a bit slow at doing foils so I worried the bleach will need rinsing out before the CT is ready.
Advice please!

Is her natural very warm? Presumably, she was lifted to a 7/8 and toned and the toner has now washed out so that’s why it looks orange next to the mid-brown?

Is she now wanting it all lifting to an 8 with highlights?

I’d use KP rather than CT if it’s virgin hair to lift to an 8.

I’ve tried to attach pics but they won’t load somehow.
She’s got lots of old highlights through her mids so not virgin hair. That’s why I thought CT was better & more conditioning than putting a permanent on over already processed hair ?

I dont think an 8.1 will do anything unless it's over a lvl 8.5 to lvl 9 , also if it's quite brassy /orangey a lvl 7 would be better to cover it

If shes got loads of old colour I'd also do a bleach strand test just in case

Hi
Thanks.. I was thinking to put a 7 CT over it now!
So.. bleach highlights with low peroxide to lift the orange slowly to a pale yellow then flood with colour touch 7 then tone the highlights with a loreal milkshake 10/12 & 1.9vol
Sound good?

And bleach strand test 👍🏼

Sounds better really depends on the porosity if theres loads of old hilights covered by old tint which has faded it may grab and go darker and ashier .The strand test should tell you what sort of nick the hair is in , you could always apply semi to roots and miss and through ends last minute.

Latest posts

Back