Organ donation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an organ donor, I give blood & am on the bone marrow donor list.
My daughter had two kidney transplants, one when she was 18 months old, which lasted untill she was 7, she went back on dialysis until her second transplant when she was 10. This one lasted until she was 13. She died in 2009 aged 21.

I cannot thank the donor families enough, as both times she had a kidney from a child.
The transplants gave Nicola a much better quality of life ( not normal as she had recurrent disease in both transplants) but a lot better. The transplants enabled us to do things & go to places that would have been impossible while on dialysis. Because of those two families Nicola lived longer & did more than she would ever have been able to without the donor organs.
I would urge everyone to add themselves to the donor list.

The question you need to ask yourself is

'' If it was me or one of my loved ones who needed an organ would we take it?''

If the answer is yes.....you should be on the donor list.

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. So glad to hear she was able to have 2 transplants that were able to prolong her life a bit so you could share a few more special moments together!

I totally agree with the question you say '' If it was me or one of my loved ones who needed an organ would we take it?''
I would love to be able to put a clause on my wilingness to donate... If the person is not on the donor list and does not want to donate then I do not wish for them to receive my donation! (I know it's not possible to do that, but wish it was!) xxx

Never seen either programmes, I have registered and told hubby they can have everything other than my eyes,

Had a massive blood transfusion at 24 which saved my life, now I can't give blood,

How many of us give blood regularly?
I gave blood a few years ago but haven't been allowed to since because my iron was too low. I need to make an appointment to get it checked to see if I can again, as I really want to.

Although because I'm getting tattooed in a couple of weeks, I won't be able to for about 6 months afterwards I think!

I've had a donor card for years and say that they can have everything except for my eyes. I'm really squeamish about eyes.
My dad used to joke that he could imagine when I died there would be a coffin with just a pair of eyes in it-lol

I'm exactly the same! Take what you want but leave me eyes!

Please exuse my ignorance but I have a question.
Is there an age limit on organ donationi.e. if i were to live to 80 would any of my organs be any use. Is the register aimed at people who have died suddenly in an accident, i.e. not from disease?

Just really being tired all the time, being really forgetful all the time, I also constantly had cold sores x

Interesting ,is a pacific blood test :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Please exuse my ignorance but I have a question.
Is there an age limit on organ donationi.e. if i were to live to 80 would any of my organs be any use. Is the register aimed at people who have died suddenly in an accident, i.e. not from disease?

Please feel free anyone to correct me if I'm wrong but you can only give organs if you have died in hospital. This is because the time it takes for it all to be transferred to hospital as it would be too long and the organs would be unusable.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I'm on the donor register and would love to give blood but like many I was very nieve about such things until I had a massive haemorrhage after my daughter was born and receiving a blood transfusion.

Sadly now cannot donate blood now
But hopefully one day my organs can help someone.

I'm on the donor register and would love to give blood but like many I was very nieve about such things until I had a massive haemorrhage after my daughter was born and receiving a blood transfusion.

Sadly now cannot donate blood now
But hopefully one day my organs can help someone.

I had this with my last daughter, it was scary x

Interesting ,is a pacific blood test :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Yea I was going back and forward to the doctors for years before they decided to do a blood test, the only reason why they did was because I asked them too! lol x

Please feel free anyone to correct me if I'm wrong but you can only give organs if you have died in hospital. This is because the time it takes for it all to be transferred to hospital as it would be too long and the organs would be unusable.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

You can actually donate an organ while you are alive, but only a kidney, everything else would be when you are dead. Either that or being kept alive by a machine so that they can donate your organs.

I've just been reading up on it x

My friend died in a car crash and was pronounced dead at the scene. They then rushed her to the nearest hospital but werent quick enough so i think there may be a small time frame there. I always assumed you had to be in hospital until then as i know they keep the body alive for as long as they have to to remove organs x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm registered all through my life my mum was in and out of hospital with kidney failure she had one transplant that rejected after 18 months and she was back on dialysis for years. She was then lucky enough to get another which made her life. The change was unbelievable to the point that you wouldn't of knew she had been so ill. It would of been five years of a normal life last year but she passed away from an unrelated reason. But them five years were amazing we had our mum back.

As someone said earlier if u r willing to take one in that position then u should be registered xx

Great thread - Organ Donation is always something that I have been meaning to do but with the everyday craziness of my household it just slips my mind, this thread has refreshed the need to do this, so I'm off to register online now whilst I have a spare 5 mins!

I give blood, I'm blood type O- which is the only universal blood type that can be transfused to everyone : )) so is always in need. I also donated the cord (cord blood) after having my daughter - i believe only a few hospitals offer this service which is such a shame as it helps so many other babies.

I can't give blood as have ME and was made the law in 2010. I did ask if organs Ok to donate and they said yes. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back