Organic hair care range

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunflower46

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone suggest an organic / vegan / sustainable hair care & colour range to use in salon please. Thanks

Hey Sunflower, I'll be honest here and say that you're going to struggle to find a range which is truly organic, vegan and sustainable.

I say this as the three requests are exceptionally difficult to merge when creating a colour.

Organic is nearly impossible in the first place, this is simply because most colours rely on oxiditave pigments which to my knowledge are always artificial and as such a true "organic permanent colour" can't exist. Instead most brands (including the one I work for) use organic ingredients where possible and artificial where it isn't.

Next up is vegan, once again his is a tough call for example we use Silk Proteins in one of our permanent colour ranges which of course makes the product non vegan but it is organic. In another range we then use artificial beeswax as we want the product to be vegan but in turn this makes it "less organic".

Finally sustainable is the easiest one to approach. to find more on this I'd simply ask companies if they manufacture themselves or outsource this process. If a company manufactures their own products they will be able to provide evidence of any material sourcing and prove their sustainable credential. As soon as this process is passed to a third party you lose a very important source of information and can no longer make any valid sustainable claims due to the third party manufacturer having control over raw material sourcing.

To sum up my points I'd suggest that you choose the things within each category which mean the most to you and then approach companies with direct questions such as do you manufacture your own products, what evidence do you share to provide your sustainable credentials? what changes have you made/do you propose to support this claim? If a product is not vegan what ingredient causes this etc..

It's admittedly a long winded approach but I think honesty and transparency from a professional supplier is the most important thing to look for and the easiest way to fin this is to ask questions which can't be skirted around.

I hope this helps a little,

Kev

Latest posts

Back