Other salon poaching my staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle Shergill

Reaction score
Hi

I have a local salon who keeps poaching my staff. Contact is being made via facebook. Now this salon is opening a new site it's happening again. What advice can you give to handle this professionally.
Thank you in advance

Make your staff not want to leave. I don't think there's a lot else you can do x

Have any of the staff who have already left told you why they chose to move on?

It might not be simply a better rate of pay although that's the most likely reason.

Is your Salon their greatest competitor compared to the other salons in the town?

a simple cease and desist letter may do the job. sadly its getting more and more common for businesses to be poaching from other businesses such as staff, marketing, branding etc. with this issue i would contact the staff that have left asking why they have left and what improvements could have been made with their employment with yourself. if a staff member does ever leave then you should always do an exit interview to gather this information.

as Vic has very rightly said, make your staff not want to leave so time to review your contracts and giving better benefits for staff if that is the reason for so many leaving or sit down with each of them and review their career aims and build your business from there. good luck x

In cases like this i feel you have to assess whether its a right fit for your business or not. Think about incentives to help grow their business and yours if this other place is promising the world, if you really want these "disloyal" workers it's your call. We all have had the odd employee that wants to pursue other things. But if this is happening twice, and i hate to be mean, i would look outside the box and look at myself to see what am i doing for them to leave. I hope this gets resolved and perhaps you get mojo back to your business. good luck. xoxo

Hi

I have a local salon who keeps poaching my staff. Contact is being made via facebook. Now this salon is opening a new site it's happening again. What advice can you give to handle this professionally.
Thank you in advance

If they were opening their own salon you could put something into their contract stating they agree not to within X amount of distance from you, but if they're being employed then not much possibly I'm afraid. Do you know why they are leaving? More money? Have you tried contacting your old staff and asking if they want to come back?

People always try poach my senior therapist too, how annoying that you've invested so much time and money into a therapist people think they can waltz in and have them. Luckily my therapists are extremely loyal, Know they can tell me anything honestly and I look after them well. It doesn't have to be a huge wage to keep them, security, knowing thier job is safe, small perks.
Good luck!
Xx

I know it's hard to see this now, but take it as a compliment that you have such highly trained staff that are worth head hunting.

I worked for a sales and marketing director years ago, who really proud when he found out recruitment agencies were call us up to poach us as he it reflected on how well he trained us and how much we hit target and we're go at our jobs etc

Latest posts

Back