Other Therapists making enquiries

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This happens to me all the time but I just tell them that I don't give out prices over the phone and that they need to come in for a consultation as that is the only way they will know what treatment is best for them (I do aesthetics not nails though). If they don't book in they aren't clients and you tend to know anyway if they are competition as they know too much information!

Most of the time I am brutallly honest and say if you want to know what I'm charging so you can work your prices around me why not ask my experience also as that is what you are paying for with me. Some get a bit muffled by it but I don't think it's right for a newly trained nurse or doctor to set their prices based on mine when you see how much more experience I have. Sounds a bit up my self but I don't mean it to come out like that!!!

They do really just waste your time and I personally don't have time for that. The girls I employed used to have loads of therapists booking in for treatment to see how we did things, to be honest, we found that quite nice as they wanted to learn from us and some even changed their products to match ours!

Just a thought:
Maybe she just wants to price herself the same/similar to keep the standard up, especially if she has moved from another area.
Better than her pricing low & having a price war.

im not being funny but any sort of decent tech should be able to do her own nails not be looking at booking in with someone else to do them, says a lot about her work I think.

I can not do my own nails to a professional standard as my left hand does not have the coordination to do so. Am I no decent nail tech because I can't do clients with my left hand as well as my right? You always know whats coming when someone starts a sentence with ''im not being funny but...''

For the other posts:

I do get my nails and treatments done by other professionals, I support my industry and you better believe I ask a lot of questions when I do so as I want a good service equivalent or better than my own. Would all you women refuse to be my nail technician because I am a tech myself for fear I am going to run off with your clients? On the odd occasion I dont announce that I am trained, not to be sneaky, but sometimes I just dont wanna talk shop, I wanna be like every other client.

My therapists and technicians make a tidy profit out of me as I do out of them when they book my services.

We do nail and beauty treatments. Nothing about what we do is secret. What do we have to hide from our competition? Are we so scared they will run off, start doing everything we are doing, steal all our clients and do better than us?

If a competitor is looking at you for research purposes it is because they believe your business is WORTHY of finding out about. We all started somewhere and we all had to look at the industry going on within our area. If techs think I am worthy of bothering for price info then its all good. 10 seconds of my day and a gold star on my doing well chart :)

Why is everyone so bothered by this, it has a term its called Market Research and any serious business person always always conducts market research. I am starting up and I have to do this, find out my competitions prices so I can price up accordingly. Am I ashamed to be doing this hell no cos every one has done it at some point. Stop bloody whinging and get on with your own work and leave everyone else to do theirs. Competition is healthy, how many times do we have to discuss this in one guise or another.

Also to dismiss someones work because they want it to be done by another tech is so arrogant, perhaps some techs enjoy being pampered, perhaps some techs havnt got several hours spare to practice doing wrong hands perfectly (which incidently I think is a complete waste of time cos your clients couldnt care less if you can do nails with wrong hand) or perhaps they admire your work so much they are willing to pay you to do their nails (just as long as they dont pass them off as their own)

anne xx

Last edited:
Here here.I couldn't agree more with Skymark & Annie23.

When i first started creating my pricelists for my services, i really researched all of the salons and nail techs i could find in my area, looked hard at what they were offering how they priced etc, if they had no prices then i simply rang up and enquired.

Helped me alot to average out a price plan for my treatments.

I would happily go to another tech to have my nails done, its your choice to say whether you are a working tech or keep it under wraps, no harm in it at all... it also gives you an insight into other tech techniques etc..

At the end of the day, when you are first selling yourself, you shouldnt sell yourself short..

Sarah x

I get this too but I have to say it doesn't bother me. I have my clients who are very loyal and I know I am good at what I do and will charge accordingly. If people want to pay half the price for half a job then let them.
I think people worry too much about other therapists and competition. Personally i'd rather put my energy into making my services the best out there for those clients that deserve it.
So don't let it get to you. I usually just say here is the link to me website......please have a look.

I perform treatments on a few local techs all of whom I have the greatest respect and vice versa. I perforened a shellac pedi on one yesterday as she was looking at getting it for her salon and knew I perfirmed this so came to me I done treatment and offered advice help and tips with how to get hold of stock etc ,, .

I have another lady I refer clients to when I am unable to accomodate and she will do the same or if I get clients from other parts of town I will usually try and refer them to another tech if I can't help. Xx

I do my own nails and am quite happy with that, but I also wouldnt turn away a paying client for her job, be it nail tech, professional drag queen, prostitute, what have you! But I can also see how it would be annoying to have someone ringing you off the hook being sneaky... Maybe my opinion on all of this will change in the coming months or years, but I'm pretty damn confident now, I'll tell people what I'm charging regardless and if anyone tells me I cost too much they get the "you get what you pay for" line outta me! Totally not worth the time to tell em to come in cuz I have a sneaking suspicion that they do nails. And I'll be honest, I love doing other tech's nails and hearing things like "I love your smile lines!" or "Your apex is pretty!"

Latest posts

Back