ouch, they hurt please help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatabeauty

Reaction score
hi, i haven't been on here for a while, been busy with new beauty and nail extension courses etc, hope everyone is well.
i am doing my vtct in nail extensions (started in september) and for the past few weeks we have been practising on eachother applying and blending tips, however, my nails were brittle and flaky before i even started. monday night i had ANOTHER few tips blended on to my natural nail, and because my nails are so short i come home and soak them off (3 long nails and 7 short just look silly), the point is i am in ABSOLUTE AGONY, my natural nail is so thin the nail bed is clearly visible underneath it is sooooooo pink. it hurts to touch my nails, if i put my hands in my hand bag to pull anything out and if i brush my nails against anything they hurt. i was at work yesturday and it might sound silly, and i feel ridiculous saying it but when i put my hand in the metal drawer to take money out it feels like i'm getting a static shock through my nail bed and up my fingers, it's everytime.when i left my class on monday night the tutor said we were blending and soaking off next week! i'm now in two minds wether or not to go. i don't want to drop out but i may be forced to, they hurt so much one more application and it will go through my nail plate, please help, any tips on how to try and get my nails better, and any thoughts on continuing with the course, i don't want to lose out but the course dosen't finish til june next year, my nails wont take any more, i don't mind blending on others and am enjoying the course but they might not think it's fair i can't be blended on! sorry for the xtra long post, many thanx
xxxxxxxx

Hi i am doing a VTCT in advanced nails and we started in september and we had to practise on each other and i got file burn just like you and it did kill if anythink touched my nail it has only just now grown out thank god! when we practise on each other now we have to put resin on our nails first and then activate and then put tips on then blend so we dont get file burn! i know how you feel:eek:

ALSO LOOK AT FILE CONTROL IN PREMIUM GEEK TUTORIALS it tells you on there about filing

Hi there

That doesn't sound good at all, my advise would be to talk to the tutor about it, if she is competant she should assess your nails or listen to what you are saying. When I started my beauty course there were girls that couldn't be waxed because they were to sensative after discussing with the tutor, they were told they could practice on others but no one could practice on them... You need to communicate with the tutor otherwise they don't know what's going on, even though it's not easy...

Hope this helps....:D

Emma

I think this is where nail trainers are so brilliant, Because when trainning and learning to blend this can happen at times. Your tutor should really be saying to her students that they should be blending the nail tip not the natural nail.
I think I would explain your pain to her and let them rest for a while.

I totally agree Lell, I just don't understand why colleges don't allow the use the nail trainers, it's so painful to have your own nails worked on (usually badly) weekly. Some our our girls that we have for day release have hidious, sore looking nails - god forbid that a customer thinks that we had wrecked them! We have even lent the college youngsters our nail trainers.

Cathy

I agree with everyone here, you cannot have another student practice on you and unfortunetly you will have to wait for your nails to grow out. I wouldnt actually let another student near me until my nail had fully regrown - completely -
What I do suggest if you are not provided with a nail trainer nor can afford one is to fill a marigold (or any other rubber glove) with flour. tie an elastic band around the wrist and glue tips to the hand. paint the tips red and 'voila' you have your own practice hand - costing about £2
Correctly size tips and blend away. you will see where you are over filling, if you are correctly sizing tips, if you are getting air bubbles - you can even practice your overlays. Its brilliant homework and no one gets injured!

Hope this helps

I would show your nails and explain to your tutor and request that your tutor go over the principles of blending tips again, and to actually check on each student as they are doing it. All students will be let loose on the general public in due course and must learn how to deal with clients, especially those with weak or sensitive nails who really need to handled gently. We are all learning and we all make mistakes while learning but there is no need for those mistakes to go unrectified. Good luck and i think this might just be an occasion to use the saying "Don't let the b******* grind you down!"
icon_cheesygrin.gif

There is another very simple trick which students can use which shows them immediately when they are going wrong.

For the purpose of learning when holding the finger, prior to blending, make sure your thumb covers the entire nail bed portion of the nailplate. Every time you feel the abrasive touch your thumb, this lets you know that you would have been touching the plate .... once you gain control of that abrasive, you won't touch your thumb any more.

There is no excuse for any tutor to allow nail plate damage in a class ... and yours sounds horrendous. There are very simple tricks that could have avoided all of this pain and upset.

Sorry to hear your nails are so sore. I filed my own nails too far when I first started, not as badly as yours and luckily only in patches not the whole nail bed (and only two nails), so I sympathise completely. Yours sound very bad though, and to be honest I don't think it's very good of the college to have let yours get this bad, although if they don't know it's not their fault I suppose.
I agree with everyone else that when people are just beginning it's not very wise to have them practising on each other without putting some measures in place to stop this happening.
Don't stop your course as you shouldn't have to miss out. Explain to your tutor and show her your nails, if she is intelligent and responsible she won't let anyone work on your hands again :) It would also be good for your partner in class (do you regularly work on the same people?) to show them the damage they've done so they won't do it again.
See if you can invest in a nail trainer and use that instead, and even if you can't afford one right now, the cheaper alternatives will at least give you a platform to work on for the time being.
In terms of your own nails - can anyone help in saying whether a strengthener like Toughen Up would be OK to use, or are these nails too thin to put anything on? If you can use a strengthener, invest in one of these and just rest your nails as much as you can, certainly don't let any of your classmates work on them and try to keep them as bash-free as you can as they grow out. xxx

If I was you I'd print off a few copies of Geegs tutorial on file control part 2 - filing & blending tips. Give a copy to each student & also the Geek site web address so they can get additional advice, hints & tips. It's invaluable.

Don't ask your lecturer but tell her that you are not going to allow any nail work to be carried out on yourself until the nails are back to normal. If she has any sense at all she'll agree with you hands down.
Don't know if SolarOil will help at this stage but it's better than nothing, I'd give it a go.

Sonia

thank you for all the replies and the very helpful advice, i will definately try some of the suggestions, I will speak to my tutor on monday, i asked her if i would benefit from a nail trainer and she said that she dosen't really think they are any good for practising because you can over file, and where a client says ouch a nail trainer wouldn't, pressure with file etc. i think it would be a shame to give up and i hope she is understanding. thanx again everyone

Hiya hun,
Whilst it's true a nail trainer can't say ouch, there are tricks for seeing if you're overfiling. I can't remember where this trick comes from originally but I've posted it a few times recently cos since I learnt it it's helped me a lot - you can paint the nail trainer nails bright red before sticking a tip on and then if you blend too far you can see because you will file through the red paint. That way it is blatantly obvious you've gone too far and you haven't hurt anyone in the process. True to say though that I think you certainly become more diligent once you've done it to yourself or had it done to you because you know first hand you never want to repeat it!
I really hope your tutor is understanding because it would be very unfair for you to have to give up due to no fault of your own.
Good luck! xx

geeg said:
There is another very simple trick which students can use which shows them immediately when they are going wrong.

For the purpose of learning when holding the finger, prior to blending, make sure your thumb covers the entire nail bed portion of the nailplate. Every time you feel the abrasive touch your thumb, this lets you know that you would have been touching the plate .... once you gain control of that abrasive, you won't touch your thumb any more.

There is no excuse for any tutor to allow nail plate damage in a class ... and yours sounds horrendous. There are very simple tricks that could have avoided all of this pain and upset.
LOL this is how I was taught and this is how I show others to learn to blend......

It is a shame that some tutors are a little short sighted when it comes to education and education tools..........
A nail trainer can be a fab tool for learning not just blending, but also to perfecting techniques...............
I have one and still use it, for various things, but specialy if I am cooking up a new fibreglass nail and there is no one about to lend me a finger .... let alone a hand xxx
Teaching someone to blend a tip is like teaching a child to use a knife and would you take your eyes of the child no way ......
You would watch them each step of the way and correct any risks... just like a good Tutor or educator should.............but sometimes in a college or class enviroment there are just to many students and you cant keep your eye on all, so a good lesson plan and training plan incl. tools just like a nail trainer are so useful and should be in operation here......
Now I am not having a go at the capability of trainers, but if you become a trainers you have to also become responsible for safety and the well being of your class........... and overfiling and sore nail plates are just so common these days in training, that it makes me cringe to think how there poor nail will look at graduation day ?????

Maybe the tutor will let the class practice on her nails ............ (thought not)

Just my thoughts

I originally trained with a nail trainer, and my CND educator would make us pre tailor the tips and put them onto the edge of the training nail beds... then blend gently into the plastic nail plate.... without touching any other part of the nail plate!!!!

This was fabulous, as she could see if we had scrathed any other area of the nail plate, and also if we have damaged the 'skin'... the more scratches she saw, the worse our blending was!!!
We soon learned to blend really well!!!!
Sue x

YOU POOR THING>
Well I think its bad if you have to vcome on here and ask for help when you are being taught by a tutor that doesnt realise whats going on in her class, and you feel you have to ask for help from us. Well not me cos I would not know. But a lot on here do know and we ALL care about you and feel for you. Hope you feel better eal soon.
Sherry

www.nailsetc.tk

Latest posts

Back