Ouch-Why is it hurting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberley

Reaction score
Heya i wonder if anyone can help me.
Ive looked on the site for the answer but cant seem to find it as i dont know what im looking for. Im fairly new to the nail industry and havent started my course yet, so i get my nails infiled at a salon. I had them done this evening and they use electric files, when the lady was running the file over my first nail it really stinged and hurt, and this happened on every nail. It felt awful and really sore, i told her but there chinese and dont really understand! Once she had prepared the nails and started to apply the acrylic powder it was fine, ive been going to them for about 1 year and this has never happened and my nails always look perfect after i had had this treatment. Please help :(

Kimberley,

you poor thing. The reason why your nails are hurting is because they have filed away a lot of your nail plate - after all the things you have read on this board - why oh why are you going to this salon.

it only happened today :(

that was ment to be a :sad: by the way lol sorry

seriously... you need to find a real salon to get your fills at. I feel so sad for you and your nails. Please be good to your nails!

hiya kimberley
sorry to hear about your bad experience
the trouble with electric files is that they're only as good as the person that is using them.
they require a lot of skill to use properly, & without that skill a lot of damage can b caused to the natural nail.
there has been a lot of bad press associated with salons that use electric files as part of their everyday procedure, as i said earlier u must check that the people that r using these on your nails r displaying the relevant certificates.
one definate rule with e-files is that they should NEVER b used on the natural nail plate.
they should change the drill bit & disinfect it inbetween clients.
e-files spin at excess of 1000 rpm, so it is easier to create burning sensations & onycholisis (where the nail plate seperates from the nail bed).
this said an inexperienced nail tech can do similar damage with a hard grit abrasive.
you should not suffer pain during your nail treatments.
visit a few other local salons mayb just for a repair.
that way u can experience different techniques, to c which u prefer.
goog luck with your training in the future, you will b glad you've found this site, we're a friendly bunch!
liza x

Sadly - and at the expense of pain, you have learnt a valuable lesson - electric drills on natural nails are a no no.

You have been going to them for a year?

have they used the drill each time?

My advise to you would be to find another Tech and have the enhancements removed to see just what your natural nails are like underneath.

It would be interesting to know how long they take to remove.

Never endure pain, it means something is happening that shouldn't.

Keep us posted.
Take care

I agree that the person that did her nails didn't do it right..because there should NEVER be any pain.
But there is bits you can use on the natural nail (for example fine diamond)...Like EZ Flow "preper" bit.

I use e-file on the natural nail, but I set the file on a very low speed and apply no pressure on the file.
I use very good e-file (Erica MT-20) that is made for nails, not a Dremel that is used for woodworking :confused:

My clients NEVER have any pain or never leave with damaged nails (rings o fire).

A person caused the damage, not an e-file

:mad: This seems to be happening more and more! I had a call from a lady who had recently had nail extensions removed in one of these "substandard salons" and she said her nails had been wrecked and were painful. Her husband said she now had "Brickies" fingers. :eek: I have just been to see her and indeed the nails were gouged and ridged, and still looked quite tender in places. After giving her a good manicure and nail soak, I gave her a bottle of nail treatment to put on every day for five days, soak off the layers and start again, until such time as her nails are strong and the nail beds are healed. She then wants me to put extensions on her. I told her that at the moment she couldn't possibly have any nail extensions on because of the damage she has sustained. A friend of hers, who has also been to the same salon, also contacted me for help. I will be looking at her nails next week. :|

Yes ive been there for a year and this has never happened, i did tell her but she didnt really take much notice! also it only takes her 30 minutes to complete my infils and painting...there are 6 ladys that work there and the one who caused the pain today was rather young and i only had her once before........il take your advice and check out some other salons
Il keep you posted
Kimberley

But there is bits you can use on the natural nail (for example fine diamond)...Like EZ Flow "preper" bit.

Well you learn something every day!

It goes to show l have only skimmed the surface as far as e files.

Thanks Anna for bringing this to my notice, will look into the file and learn a bit more (a funny in there)!

People that cause damage with e-files are usually untrained individuals anyway. I took AEFM class and i practiced for a LONG time (so I had the "feel" for the machine) before I even TOUCHED the natural nail.

I have seen a lot of damage from a hand filing too.

So you can say e-file is bad and hand file is good, because you can do damage with both. Sure, e-file moves faster but I think in trained hands its not gonna cause damage.

hiya anna
may i say that i have seen your work on this board, & have been very impressed with the standard of your work.
as i said in my post, as much damage can easily b done by the incorrect use of a hand held abrasive as with an e-file.
training is essential, as u had said.
the only reason i stick by the "never on the natural nail" statement is because of a conversation i had with doug schoon.
he mentioned some experiments that they had set up in the lab in san diego.
they put some tiny heat detectors on some models nail plates to determine what temperatures were reached during different amounts of pressure/speed of different grits of abrasives.
it was discovered that the nail plate is very bad at determining heat.
the temps that were reached before pain was evident were much higher than is safe without showing burns on the nail bed.
these burns happened b4 any discomfort was felt.
these burns r not visible to us until onycholysis happens.
obviously, the amount of damage sustained will vary due to
1.condition of the nail plate
2. amount of speed/pressure of chosen abrasive
3. the amount of times the client has rebalances.
most good nail tech's never knowingly damage the natural nail.
"rings of fire" r the extreme end of the damage possible.
the point that i am making is that by the time a client feels the "burn", it's too late.
you could b causing damage to the nail bed witout any visibls signs ie pain & visible thinning & redness.
personally, the amount of work needed to remove the natural shine from the natural nail plate is so small, a gentle 240 grit abrasive in the direction of growth is as quick as it gets.
the difference with an e-file, however smooth the bit is, the speed at which it spins.
it is easier to build up friction (& enevitably burns) with a smooth grit at a fast speed, than a harder grit at a slower speed.
try blending in a tip with a smooth grit at fast speed.
some people will have the skill to "feel" the pressure they r using to effectively
use an e-file.
however i think with the info that doug has given, the chance is too great to take, when the alternitive is easy.
liza xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back