Ouch!!! :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missymeesh

Reaction score
Hi Geeks
Can someone please advise me! Ive been at college doing the gel & nail tips my course finishes last week but after having several sets of gel nails on my nails are a mess!! This morning my little finger nail was so worn down from all the filing its split through the middle of my nail and come off!! its killing ive less than half a nail:-( the nail thats left is so thin its painful :-( What should i do should i put on a plaster or will this make the nail even softer? The free edge had come away from the nail bed will this be permantely damaged now :-( xx

Aw the joys of training, I remember it well.
Unfortunatly there isnt anything you can really do about the nail that has come off, putting gel over the top of excessivly thinned nails can lead to heat spike while curing which in turn with the thinned nail plate can lead to onycholysis.
I would see if you can find yourself a decent nail tech where you are and have a thin L&P overlay put over your nails to protect them while they grow out.
And lashings of solar oil to help speed up the healing process. Unfortunatly until the damage that has been caused grows which can take 6 months from cuticle to free edge you are going to be left with thin painful nails.
You shouldn't be lft with any permanent damage unless damage was caused in the matrix.
There isnt much more that you can do really until the damage grows out.
Jen xxx

Aw the joys of training, I remember it well.
Unfortunatly there isnt anything you can really do about the nail that has come off, putting gel over the top of excessivly thinned nails can lead to heat spike while curing which in turn with the thinned nail plate can lead to onycholysis.
I would see if you can find yourself a decent nail tech where you are and have a thin L&P overlay put over your nails to protect them while they grow out.
And lashings of solar oil to help speed up the healing process. Unfortunatly until the damage that has been caused grows which can take 6 months from cuticle to free edge you are going to be left with thin painful nails.
You shouldn't be lft with any permanent damage unless damage was caused in the matrix.
There isnt much more that you can do really until the damage grows out.
Jen xxx

6 months! i think im going to cry :-( i had such lovely nails too!! Thanks for the advice i will def get to a good nail tech this wk end and see if they can do anything to help it! Oh lets hope that training was worth it haha xx

6 months! i think im going to cry :-( i had such lovely nails too!! Thanks for the advice i will def get to a good nail tech this wk end and see if they can do anything to help it! Oh lets hope that training was worth it haha xx

Aw :hug: you are welcome.
They will be lovely again, its just going to take some time.
Jen xxx

I agree with Busybee, the joys of training!! Does bring back memories, you will laugh one day I promise!!

Your nail will heal and there shouldn't be any permanent damage this time, it is usually with prolonged abuse like this that you would get more lasting damage.

Make sure the enhancements are removed properly, it's the filing that is doing the damage, obviously!!:eek:

I think everyone thinks that learning the nail business is a lovely pretty thing to do but it can be painful at times!! :|

Oh i do feel for you !! Im a student doing acrylic nails :) i used to be in constant pain with them , but i put loads and loads of solar oil on , and its always in my handbag !
Brilliant stuff ,solar oil :) x

Oh i do feel for you !! Im a student doing acrylic nails :) i used to be in constant pain with them , but i put loads and loads of solar oil on , and its always in my handbag !
Brilliant stuff ,solar oil :) x

Haha im glad someone feels my pain i feel so sorry for myself!! Where do i get solar oil from? i think im going to take a bath in some!! im only pleased its winter so i can hide my poorly stumpy nails with gloves!! :-( xx

I'm not being funny but during my training none of my nails or my fellow students were damaged!! Was the trainer not watching and advising at all times??? This would not be acceptable to me as it is the trainers responsibility to ensure the health and safety of students!

My friend trained in nail enhancements at the local college god what a mess her nails were in a could'nt actually believe the tutor let them do this to each other :eek: I trained with CND and constantly put nails on my self and took them off and had minimal damage slight dents in a few places from infills and I was'nt happy I'd done that to my self lol
Make sure when you are filing you are not letting the file go onto the natrual nail plate.(check out the tutorial file control :))
For shine removal I always use an old 240 grit sponge board very softly. I'd noticed they had been using the 180 sanding blocks for natural nail no wonder they were in a mess eek! lol hth xx

this happens with me at college too. I guess because we're taking extentions, acrylic and gels off every week it's not that great for us when you think that extensions done at a salon are designed to stay on for a good few weeks.

I guess this is just an ironic inevitability of training. I'm looking foward to doing my own nails knowing that I won't have to remove the work anytime soon.

The other problem with training like this is that you can be a brilliant nail tech but the person that works on you can be c**p!:eek:

Surely the maximum damage you should see in training is some temporary dehydration of the nail plate and maybe the odd over file but anything more than that is a very good sign of poor training!

I'm with you here. I had lovely nails and all through my manicure training last year they stayed good, now I'm doing acrylics and gels and having them removed and applied time and time again, sometimes even in the same evening they've now got to the point they've all broken off and I've started biting them again.

I'm growing them out and applying Solar Oil and hand cream like there is no tomorrow. My cuticle are a mess and need dealing with pronto.

As for the filing, my college teaches you to file with a 100 grit file so it's no wonder my nails are messed up, even when I disagree and request a softer grit. I do find it funny that I've been using a softer grit, my enhancements have stayed on and I haven't ruined any nails. Just shows proper education and tips from Salon Geek work wonders.

personally, I'd go back to the trainer, repeated damage to your nails shouldn't have been allowed. Did you notice as it was happening? Surely they were sore before you got to this point.

I remember at my training, one lady put a bucket load of glue on, I'd looked away as she applied the tip, and only noticed as it came running out from underneath the tip.

She said, oh it'll be ok, should come off when you wash your hands, I advised her to try a little acetone on a q-tip to remove some. She carried on, and then before I realised what she was doing, she quickly pulled my thumb down from the tip and tore all my skin, jeez, did it hurt. Took a month of sundays to heal too.

I know everyone has to start somewhere but trainees should be tutored and watched as they go along.

My first post on the site :)

I feel your pain.

I'm only doing gel nails (Star Nails) for two months and my poor nails are in bits too :( The nail plate is fine as myself and the other girls are very careful with the filing, but my nails are gone brittle. I used to have lovely long nails and now they look worse than a nail biter!

We put on and take off nails every few days so i think the acetone soaking has just dehydated my nails to the point of breaking.

Excellent site by the way, I'm learning loads :)

Absolutely disgraceful that your nails should be in the state they are in. How can anyone let anyone else do damage like this to natural nails, be it another student, the tutors instruction or to yourself? It really defies all reason and intelligence. :eek:

I feel really sorry for you that your tutor let this happen and think you should tell them. I recently trained with CND and my tutor must have said over and over don't damage the natural nail. They constantly reminded you which grit to use when. It's so easy to go wrong as a newbie and I'm so pleased she drummed it into me.

Solar oil is amazing, my Mum describes it as 'fertilizer for nails' as hers are so much stronger using it. I'm sure you will get your nice nails back given time, chin up. xx

Latest posts

Back