out with the college kit, in with the new :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailnewbie32

Reaction score
Right you lovely girlies ( and guys!)

The kids are back to school soon (yay!) so I'm hoping to be able to put myself out there and with a bit of luck some of the school mammies will be looking for a bit of a pamper :)

However, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the products I have ( they were picked by the tutor not us, we just paid her and got our stuff)

My manicure and pedicure products are mostly Mercia and the odd Strictly Professional. I have added a Thai massage cream and Keaso juicy drops myself ( both smell fab and the bottles look nice :) )

So after a long winded intro...........help me with my shopping list!

It would be great if I can go to a bricks and morter shop but if I have to order online it won't be the end of the world.

I'm looking for suggestions for EVERYTHING down to the wipes and files.

I also need to replace my polishes ( I have a million colours but most of them are Rimmel which I don't mind using in nail art or on myself but I'd rather not for Mani/Pedi) so colour/brand suggestions most welcome

Sorry for the long post I've been super excited at the thoughts of getting myself up and runnning :D and tend to waffle!

If you made it all the way through well done xxx

i think Shellac is the answer to your question! Many Nail professionals on here will tell you how Shellac ha turn there business around!

Not many clients come into the salon for a manicure! they find it a wait of money paying around £20 pound ish for a service that will last what 3/4 days before they chip a nail? some even before that! so that works out at £5 a day to have polished nails!

were as Shellac may cost a bit more then a manicure around £25/30 lasting 14/21 day which is less then £2 a day for perfectly polished nails! that stay shiny and are instantly dry. dont cause any damage to the natural nail and super easy to remove!

now if you was going into a salon what would you choose? i have to say personally i do 1 file and polish to every 50 Shellac! I offer all nail and beauty services and Shellac takes over 3/4 of my clients! its a real boost to our industry and you'd be stupid to buy nail polished instead of Shellac! xx

Shellac is on the wish list but it will probably in the New Year before I can afford it ( I know, I know it's a great business decision, but the initial outlay costs are a little out of my reach at the moment :( )

Hmmmm...tell me about it! I can't wait to start up with Shellac...but it's not happening any time soon. :( I feel your pain! lol.

I use OPI nail polishes. Their base coats and Rapid dry top coat is AMAZING!!!

I am investing in Eve taylor facial products very soon...they are fabulous and are not badly priced.

Minx nails is a good bet aswel. Very popular at the moment...

I have nothing more to add...as I am also building up the brands and products that I want to use. It's the most frustrating process in the world. My eyes are watering with envy at all the geeks that are all set up and running!! But they were in our position once, so I aspire to be like them! Someone will come along who know what they are talking about soon.x

I have the same problem for shellac, it's on my wish list too. Now to help lol.

Right you lovely girlies ( and guys!)

The kids are back to school soon (yay!) so I'm hoping to be able to put myself out there and with a bit of luck some of the school mammies will be looking for a bit of a pamper :)

I bet they will after a whole six weeks with the kids

However, I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the products I have ( they were picked by the tutor not us, we just paid her and got our stuff)

My manicure and pedicure products are mostly Mercia and the odd Strictly Professional. I have added a Thai massage cream and Keaso juicy drops myself ( both smell fab and the bottles look nice :) )

I have Keaso's full range of manicure products and I really like them but I haven't tried any others. They were recommended by my tutor and they are easy to get hold of where I live.

So after a long winded intro...........help me with my shopping list!

It would be great if I can go to a bricks and morter shop but if I have to order online it won't be the end of the world.

I'm looking for suggestions for EVERYTHING down to the wipes and files.

I'm looking for new files so I can't really help you there but I think I'm going to go for ezflow ones.

I also need to replace my polishes ( I have a million colours but most of them are Rimmel which I don't mind using in nail art or on myself but I'd rather not for Mani/Pedi) so colour/brand suggestions most welcome

I use OPI polishes mostly and I like them a lot. As for colours the ones I use the most are french pink and white, red, hot pink and black.

Sorry for the long post I've been super excited at the thoughts of getting myself up and runnning :D and tend to waffle!

If you made it all the way through well done xxx

Hope that helped a bit x

Hmmmm...tell me about it! I can't wait to start up with Shellac...but it's not happening any time soon. :( I feel your pain! lol.

I use OPI nail polishes. Their base coats and Rapid dry top coat is AMAZING!!!

I am investing in Eve taylor facial products very soon...they are fabulous and are not badly priced.

Minx nails is a good bet aswel. Very popular at the moment...

I have nothing more to add...as I am also building up the brands and products that I want to use. It's the most frustrating process in the world. My eyes are watering with envy at all the geeks that are all set up and running!! But they were in our position once, so I aspire to be like them! Someone will come along who know what they are talking about soon.x

We can share the frustrated newbie boat :) I'm not familiar with Eve Taylor, I do love my Dermologica facial products though, pricey but soooo worth it.

Yeah Minx is something I was looking in to too, I did a bit of a survey among friends they hadn't heard of it so I brifley described it and threw Rihanna and Beyonce in there and they thought it would be fab with party season coming up ( Halloween, Xmas, Office Parties etc)

I have the same problem for shellac, it's on my wish list too. Now to help lol.

Hope that helped a bit x

Very helpful indeed xxx I love Keaso facial stuff, I might try the mani/pedi ones. Capital stock them so it's esay for me to get.

I have a few OPI polishes and I do like them. Although the Rapid Dry flakes after a few days for some reason on me!

Polishes - Opi and CND. (get shellac as sooon as you can afford to - u will not regret it). Lumos top and base coats.

Facial products - read this article for some guidance http://www.salongeek.com/showthread.php?p=1266841

Mani and pedi - cnd spa ranges my fav is citrus spa.
If ur looking for a cheaper option I think Kaeso are ok.

But the best thing to do is use the search function and u will find 100's of threads with suggestions re products for the different services.

Hope this helps.

Polishes - Opi and CND. (get shellac as sooon as you can afford to - u will not regret it). Lumos top and base coats.

Facial products - read this article for some guidance The BIG Skincare decision! - Salon Geek

Mani and pedi - cnd spa ranges my fav is citrus spa.
If ur looking for a cheaper option I think Kaeso are ok.

But the best thing to do is use the search function and u will find 100's of threads with suggestions re products for the different services.

Hope this helps.

Thanks x

Everything CND for me. The spa mani/pedi products are gorgeous.

Shellac is fantastic, I spent £600 last month on it all and I can honestly say I'm not far paying it off with what I made. For example I have had 9 shellac bookings since tuesday night. This really would be on the top of my list if I were you.

Latest posts

Back