Overcharged hairdressing prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Flo777

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I go to a lassie that I’m sort of mates with for my hair.... I don’t expect friends and family discount but still think the price I pay at home compared to the salon is a lot and need some advice as not sure if I should go back? When she’s in salon with me she does like blow dry, cut, bleach’s and tones roots (small regrowth), styles, shampoos and conditions no olaplex or treatments for £85/£90. But when she does it in my home using my electric, products, etc she still charges me £80 the same price when she isn’t using shampoo, doesn’t blow dry and not cutting hair.. I know other hairdressers who charge £80-£90 for a full head of highlights not just roots so question is she overcharging me??

Attachments

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Assuming outside of Covid times...

I work from either the clients home or my home. I charge similar or higher prices than my local salons because I’m offering a dedicated 1:1 service.

My client benefits because she doesn’t have to worry about finding a parking space and no-one sees her with perm rollers or a colour on. If she’s at home, she can have a shower either before or after the colour service and I will blow dry her hair afterwards so she can time the appointment to coincide with an event she might be attending.
Whilst I’m with my client, I’m not answering phones, texting, doing someone else’s hair whilst the colour is processing (unless I’m doing a family booking), and I remain focussed on my client for the entire duration of the appointment.

However, in your case, it doesn’t sound like you’re getting the full service if she’s not cutting it or blow drying it for you? Have you queried it with her? I think you probably should.

Hair Teacher

Reaction score
I think she is overcharging you as in effect you are paying more than the salon price as you are receiving less.

Flo777

Reaction score
i said I don’t know why I’m being charged £5 less when you are only bleaching my roots now not full highlights it’s half the work... so she dropped to £80 but still think this is mental prices when bleaching roots using my bed head shampoo/conditioner and then leaving it wet no cut how much would you guys charge for that at home

Hair Teacher

Reaction score
Find someone else, she is overcharging you in my opinion.

Flo777

Reaction score
It’s awkward as we are meant to be friends as well feel like she will be annoyed if I go elsewhere but can’t afford it so your right

Flo777

Reaction score
Thanks for replies guys

Holly1991

Reaction score
I must say I mainly work in salon but on the odd occasion I do home visits I charge the same, you really have to see it from both sides. If your friend is used to working in salon then they don’t have the travelling costs to consider (other then To one place) Appointment time out of their usual working hours or They may also be used to doing more than one client at at time To cover overheads although that has been super difficult since Covid, Some of the clients I’ve done for home visit prefer their own shampoo and have normally washed it before I arrive I have tried knocking some of in these situations but clients tell me not to be stupid. Try asking your friend if the £80 covers everything it normally does in salon as you could really do with a trim next time? That way you may not upset your friend . You shouldn’t be paying more than your happy to/ can afford to but Hairdressers already undercut themselves massively when it comes to colouring, it’s a competitive world out there.

Flo777

Reaction score
So do you charge the same for highlights as only roots? X

Holly1991

Reaction score
It depends on the level of work but Bleaching roots is a lot more technical than just doing a root retouch especially the longer the roots get, depending on the foiling technique being used, I would say that yes the prices can come out pretty similar

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Just to add, I think it’s very unprofessional to do a colour service without drying the hair afterwards. You need check the finished result, especially if you’re blending into existing colour. Is there a particular reason that she doesn’t dry and style it for you?

Flo777

Reaction score
Yes that’s what I was thinking as I’ve been left before with some yellow bands.. which she then redid but charged me for it.. she said she leaves it on so can let conditioner sink in and I wash out

Last edited:

Flo777

Reaction score
Also do you know why my roots are always yellow after she’s bleached it... the ends are white

Haircutz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Woah! She charged to correct banding??

You can’t lift hair lighter than a pale yellow, otherwise it will be too damaged and disintegrate. To get a platinum white colour, you have to use a toner after lightening.

Honestly, I think you need to find another hairdresser who does a thorough job, inc. blow dry and properly explains all the stages of process to you. I suspect she’s charging you the maximum she can get away with to increase her profit margins but she’s not giving you a high quality service to match the price.

Flo777

Reaction score
Yeah before that pic I posted I had orange and yellow bands around the middle and I said could she do it again as I wasn’t happy and she charged me another £80 for it

Holly1991

Reaction score
😵 I wouldn’t of been paying the first £80 if my roots had come out even like the pic you have shown, banding is not the clients problem it’s the stylists and shouldn’t be recharged especially when it’s still not right, I take it back don’t worry about hurting her feelings, she’s not worried about hurting your hair or bank balance, find a new a well educated stylist as soon as we can open our doors again X

Tumpshy1

Reaction score
Sometimes “friends “ think they can do what they want or as little as they want and you’re just going to accept it
Why doesn’t she cut it, seems strange that she doesn’t want to see and check the end result colour cut and dry
It’s not professional
Think you need a word friends or not

PitaBread

Reaction score
Overcharging you and very unprofessional due to the limited services given. Can you speak to her as friends? Tbh I’d just find someone else since you don’t owe anyone an explanation

Flo777

Reaction score
Yeah am going to someone who’s £120 for everything including olaplex she’s a bit more dear but there’s someone at work who goes to this girl and her hairs bright white and in better condition than mine

Kw88

Reaction score
Look for another hairdresser
Personally I charge the same for home and salon
I am a salon hairdresser but if someone needs a home appointment for whatever reason that’s fine il book out time to go to them but it’s the same price same service.
If they don’t have as much done at home I amend the price accordingly
My friends don’t get treated any different. She cannot charge you again for her fault of not lifting enough.
You need to speak to her before making the decision. She has to be given the chance to offer to change her price or not before you maybe go elsewhere
X

Latest posts