overgrown skin below the free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn@harvs

Reaction score
A client has some overgrown cuticles which are actually growing up from under the free edge (I looked it up and I think it's called 'pterygium inversum')

She was having nail enhancements done and so I made sure I was really careful when filing so as not to break the skin. I also massaged lots of oil down into the free edge to help soften the skin and advised her to do the same twice a day everyday. Other than that I just left it - I would never try and push it back as I'm sure it would just make it worse.

My concern is whether the enhancements will last and if there is anything else that can be done to help improve the overgrown skin. The skin itself is quite soft but it's really quite overgrown. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynn

There is no problem with this ............... I bet this Lady has been wearing enhancementsfor a while......and possibly her natural nail is almond shaped........................

All thats happend is, the nails have been long for a long time and the hyponychium is only giving it some support...as it would being that sort of a friendly thing... natures scaffolding.............. well sort off............................

You are right do not push prod or poke this... ....It is a very sensitive area and has a do not disturb sign on its front door lol........

If this Lady would choose to have no enhancements say for a few months, the skin would reduce by itself....it would wear down naturaly........

There wont be any problems with regards to enhancements..............just a bit more loving care when adhereing the Tips................sculpting is a bit trickier as you would have to pre-talor the forms to incoporate the extra skin........

HTH

Hi Lynn - Geeg used to do a client called Denise who had 'megga' terigyum under her free edge; so much so that she said they were very sensitive!! Geeg did EXACTLY what you have done with this client and was always very careful not to break the seal! I would suggest that you have acted in a perfectly professional way and the enhancements should be fine - just continue being very careful!!! HTH's ;)

You did the right thing ;)

Many derms associate this with overexposure though sometimes it is hereditary as well. Most clients wearing enhancments that you see this with have been wearing sculptured nails that have been applied with lame forms and thus had seapage under the nail.

Good luck ;)

Or even resin trigger happy Techs who like to flood the tip on the nail, rather then applying it with just a tiny sufficient amount of adhesive........................
Over exposure of resin can lead to this too xxx

I've always had nails like this, the 'worst' being my two index fingers.
I once had a demo nail done at a show and the person that did it really struggled to get the form on my ring finger ... which isnt actually too bad.
She pushed and prodded and eventually got a form on at the expense of my hyponychium ... it throbbed like hell after and was sore for days :sad:

Oh Glo obviously not done a Master sculpting class lol, had she....?????..........
It is a must to pre-taylor a form to get a good painfree fit.................

Hi Ruth,
... maybe I should have suggested she visit the Creative stand, lmao!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back