Overlay problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shabee

Reaction score
Hi all,
I wonder if you can help me with a problem I am having with overlays. When I overlay the natural nail, they last for about 5 days, then the acrylic starts to come away from the nail plate. When I do a set of enhancements they last for 2 to 3 weeks with no problems. If anyone can help with this problem I would be very gratefull.

Thanks
Shabee x

Hi,

Where is it lifting??

This can sometimes happen as the natural nail is more flexible than a tip or sculptured free egde. Make sure you cap the free edge well, use a form if it helps & good prep as always.

Jade x

Pinkies! said:
Hi,

Where is it lifting??

This can sometimes happen as the natural nail is more flexible than a tip or sculptured free egde. Make sure you cap the free edge well, use a form if it helps & good prep as always.

Jade x

Hi

jade is quite right i now use biosculpture for natural overlays as its a soft flexible gel. I find the only way to sucessfully overlay natural nails with L+P and "true" gels is to extend the free edge slightly, or it does seperate.

shabee said:
Hi all,
I wonder if you can help me with a problem I am having with overlays. When I overlay the natural nail, they last for about 5 days, then the acrylic starts to come away from the nail plate. When I do a set of enhancements they last for 2 to 3 weeks with no problems. If anyone can help with this problem I would be very gratefull.

Thanks
Shabee x

I agree with the other 2 replies, and not to sound patronising but have you thoroughly PREP'd the nail plate?

Also, don't forget to 'press & smooth' your product if you are using L&P.

HTH

Jenny x

A lot of the problem with natural nail overlays has to do with shrinkage.
If you pull the product up to the free edge, it will pull away slightly from the edge when it cures.
The problem can be compounded if working too wet with a mix, or using a gel with a high shrink rate.

As was previously mentioned, sculpting out along the edge to 'cap' the nail can help big time.

Geeod luck

Hi all,

Thanks for your help on this, I now know it is to do with the acrylic shrinking. I have never heard of capping the free edge, but I gather this means to take the acrylic over the free edge.
I will have to practice this. Oh dear .....
cheers
Shabee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back