Overlays Lift Off! Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lanails

Reaction score
Hiya

I know this has been discussed before, but have spent ages looking through past messages and searches - but here goes!

I am new (2nd week working - trained Creative) and had a lady with short nails come in for one colour clear overlays to help her grow her nails. I prepped in usual way, nail polish remover, scrubfresh and light Koala buffer to remove shine. Put on a really thin layer of Perfect Clear and Ret + - it looked great, she was really pleased last Friday!!!! Whilst chatting I found out that she was a Beauty Therapist, who was trained in acrylics! Dont know what type, but she was working in kitchens as she had no clients.

She rang on Monday to say they had ALL FALLEN OFF!! Oh great, good reputation. I have offered her, her money back and said I would try and find out why (rang Creative technical support, but they haven't had time to get back to me yet).

Does anyone have any ideas please, cos I have another customer coming in Friday, who says she has had this before and they have fallen off. I intend to use Primer on her, as well as above. I have also told her that I wont be refunding her money as she is aware of the problem. :?:

Am I right? Help?
Thanks
Lesleyxx :(

OK Lesley ... lets see what we can do.

As always I find it VERY hard to believe that ALL of someones nails just came off!! especially when that person is a nail nibbler. But let's assume it is the truth and it is all your fault ... what could've been the cause? Or causes?

When you describe your prep steps it concerns me a little that you mention ScrubFresh followed by a light Koala Buff!! First I should be hearing that you used Cuticle Remover or Cuticle Eraser and removed every bit of cuticle from the nail plate with a sanitised metal cuticle pusher before using the Koala buffer then followed lastly by a good scrub of the nailplate with ScrubFresh.

If product lifts from the nailplate, it was never adhered to it in the first place
and your prep should be scrupulous or you will get lifting. If you followed all those steps, and applied the product correctly by pressing it firmly onto the surface of the plate, there is no way the nails would have all just lifted off.

The product doesn't just stick to the nailplate because it is sticky!! It forms a chemical co-valent bond with the surface of the nail plate and this can only be broken if the client prizes the product off mechanically. The condition of the surface of the nailplate (if it is rough) will tell you if the client helped things along a bit!! If so NO refund.

As for the next client ... there are dedicated professional ladies who make it their business to bounce from one salon to another hoping to have full sets applied and then done again for free by using this excuse, while they happily pick themall off in between appointments. A good understanding of the chemistry of your products and how they work (such as my explanation above) will soon see them off to another salon where they can try thier luck with someone less sure of themselves. Retention+ bonds to keratin ... if the lady has keratin in her nails (and is there anyone who doesn't?) then the product will bond to it.

Geeg, that was exactly what I needed to hear!

You are right, I didnt explain myself fully, but had done a FULL PREP. Which included Cuticle Remover (AHA and use of a Designer Nails Cuticle tool) :D followed by the rest at mentioned - so I wondered if that could POSSIBLY be true!!!!

I wondered whether there was something in the fact that she was a beauty therapist and nail tech herself in it :?: Or maybe I am getting paranoid :D :D Maybe her hands fell into product remover. I asked her to come and see me Tuesday to discuss them and look at them, but she didnt! Which again makes me suspicious! (Or paranoid).

Well I now look forward to the challenge of tomorrow. Will use the same process as taught on FDFC and ask her LOTS OF QUESTIONS about exactly what happens.

Before I promise to give money back again, I shall insist in seeing the nails, and be more suspicious of people who have good nails for the weekend and find they miraculously fall off on Monday!

NOW I AM COMPLETELY PARANOID :shock:

Anyway, thanks Geeg, I guess I am being tested cos I am new - I am long in the tooth though and have seen it all before. As long as I am not missing something out technically, I will start to trust myself when things like this happen. We learn some thing new everyday, and this was my thing for today!

Am v grateful.
Lesleyx ;)

You are right, I didnt explain myself fully, but had done a FULL PREP. Which included Cuticle Remover (AHA and use of a Designer Nails Cuticle tool) :D followed by the rest at mentioned - so I wondered if that could POSSIBLY be true!!!!

I wondered whether there was something in the fact that she was a beauty therapist and nail tech herself in it :?: Or maybe I am getting paranoid :D :D Maybe her hands fell into product remover. I asked her to come and see me Tuesday to discuss them and look at them, but she didnt! Which again makes me suspicious! (Or paranoid).

Well I now look forward to the challenge of tomorrow. Will use the same process as taught on FDFC and ask her LOTS OF QUESTIONS about exactly what happens.

Before I promise to give money back again, I shall insist in seeing the nails, and be more suspicious of people who have good nails for the weekend and find they miraculously fall off on Monday!

Anyway, thanks Geeg, I guess I am being tested cos I am new - I am long in the tooth though and have seen it all before. As long as I am not missing something out technically, I will start to trust myself when things like this happen. We learn some thing new everyday, and this was my thing for today!

Am v grateful.
Lesleyx ;)

Am v grateful.
Lesleyx ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back