Overtime

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondon90

Reaction score
Looking for other geeks views on working overtime without any pay?
It's a sore subject for many but I wanted to know if your ever expected to do it or if you refuse to do it point blank.

I think it all depends really. If the reason for the overtime is down to you falling behind or not allocating enough time to do a job and it runs over then It wouldn't bother me but if it was a booking made out of my working hours I would expect to be paid o/t for it :)
in my salon I have a girl who works for me and once or twice she has run over by an hour or so she dosnt expect any o/t pay for this however I do often let her go home early when its quiet and still pay her for it balances itself out

Any overtime my staff do goes on a chart and they can claim it back. They can go home early one day or they can get their hair done in work time etc.

I did unpaid overtime to get to where I wanted in my career. Every week I stayed late to train the salon juniors to show my employers that I was serious about completing my A1 assessors award and PTLLS. I did this for just over 6 months other stylists thought I was mad for doing it and not getting paid any extra

This annoys me greatly. But I think I'm in the wrong for feeling the way I do. I quite frequently do overtime. Wether that be an hour or two, or 20 mins. My boss won't pay me the extra time, she would rather pay me back in time. My problem is, if I stay an extra hour I would rather be paid for it than to come in an hour later the next day.

At Christmas I worked an extra 12 hours. I didn't get paid for it because I had been sent home early on so many occasions over the past months. (Id still been paid for the time id been sent home) which is the reason I can't really justify being angry, but I am. I am contracted to 30 hours. If it's quiet, that's not my problem. I felt like I worked my ass off doing a 40+ hour week and had nothing to show for it.

It depends really, if they ask you to work longer or few hours on your day off id expext to get paid for it. If you run behind due to your own fault then normally you dont get this back. But sometimes if we worked through our lunch (that we didnt get paid for anyway) we would take the hour back at the end of another day so get an early finish z

If it's a one off or due to your own bad time keeping then fair enough you probably won't get paid

If it's becoming a regular thing and those hours are starting to add up then you should be getting paid

A lady in tesco said to me if they don't get someone to take over my till I'm just going because we don't get paid if we work over, I was surprised as I thought they would of done

Nobody minds doing an extra 10 minutes now and again but if I were doing lots of over time without extra pay or time off I'd be annoyed

It all depends really. If my boss asks me in advance if I would be able to do a full week (if she is on holiday this usually happens) then I get extra, she pays me extra commission as I can usually fill my days.
If I am working overtime because I can't manage my column, ie I have squeezed people in off my own back- then no, I don't expect more hourly pay BUT I will benifit from the commission and client loyalty that putting your self out generates.
However a bone of contention from me is when I end up staying late because someone else has taken it upon themselves to put me extra work in, or if one of the stylists (who is a bit of a drama queen) had one of her "turns" and I am left in the salon on my own trying to juggle my clients, contact hers, and deal with reception. I will look through the book and book that time back, I don't ask and if my boss were to not pay me or question me on it then I would tell her straight BUT she never has because she knows I am always first in and normally last to leave

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It all depends really. If my boss asks me in advance if I would be able to do a full week (if she is on holiday this usually happens) then I get extra, she pays me extra commission as I can usually fill my days.
If I am working overtime because I can't manage my column, ie I have squeezed people in off my own back- then no, I don't expect more hourly pay BUT I will benifit from the commission and client loyalty that putting your self out generates.
However a bone of contention from me is when I end up staying late because someone else has taken it upon themselves to put me extra work in, or if one of the stylists (who is a bit of a drama queen) had one of her "turns" and I am left in the salon on my own trying to juggle my clients, contact hers, and deal with reception. I will look through the book and book that time back, I don't ask and if my boss were to not pay me or question me on it then I would tell her straight BUT she never has because she knows I am always first in and normally last to leave

Funny you mention the holiday situation because my boss has done just that and has left me in the salon all week without a day off. I'm a bit annoyed because she didn't even ask me, it was only till I noticed I was fully booked on my usual day off in the week that I realised she had done it. When I was training I done so so so much overtime but i was investing in my career so I didn't mind so much. Just a bit peed off because I was never consulted, it was just expected of me.
As for running over my column I very rarely do so it's not really a problem but if I do it doesn't bother me at all.

Yep - I have just left my job over this! Continuously doing over time and not getting paid - normally a couple of hours a week on a good week - bad week more - got fed up of it - like a previous post .... One of the other stylists was having one of her turns ( again) !!! And ended up in a full scale row with my boss who said she couldn't afford to pay me any more ?? I'm not going to keep working for free.. No lunch break. No time owing??so I have left x

Yep - I have just left my job over this! Continuously doing over time and not getting paid - normally a couple of hours a week on a good week - bad week more - got fed up of it - like a previous post .... One of the other stylists was having one of her turns ( again) !!! And ended up in a full scale row with my boss who said she couldn't afford to pay me any more ?? I'm not going to keep working for free.. No lunch break. No time owing??so I have left x

It is annoying isnt it? you can always tell when a "turn" is coming on because she is constantly texting and getting phone calls lol.
I know we all have stuff we deal with and we all deal with stuff differently and cope/manage illness in different ways BUT when I am there 40 mins early because she has texted me saying she is too ill to come in (a rash last time) and leaving 40 mins late- when I have young children- you do start to lose sympathy for the "drama"

Latest posts

Back