Overweight in the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie2007

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place, but wanted to know what people think about being overweight in the beauty industry. I am overweight and am just starting out in the industry I'm also over 40 ! Do you think I will stand a chance in the industry ?

i find people are more comfortable round me when there getting a tan because im not stick thin, i wouldn't want to get a tan from a stick thin person (no offence to anyone) because i would be feeling more big compared to there teeny tiny bodies lol x

When I go for a treatment I am interested in how good a job my therapist is going to do. Their size would not enter into my head.

When I do someones nails I am not thinking about how big my backside may have looked before I sat on it.

I don't find it strange to feel a little awkward about how I look, but I do find it a strange question to ask if I'm honest.

OMG Angie - you are soooo very wrong!!
I am overweight and nearly 50 yet my business is doing really well!! The other lady who works with me is the same and to be honest clients love the fact that we are "real women!!" They love the fact we have conversations, curves, cellulite!! Even the young clients are comfortable with us - think they see us as "mother" figures!!
Go for it is all I can say x

Oooo no!! Go for its all about the treatment being spot on ! Old or young curvy or skinny xx

I think you will still get plenty of people wanting their treatments from you.

I don't think weight or age are really a factor in choosing a therapist, I think being approachable, friendly, good at your job and smartly dressed are things that would make an impact and make me choose someone over someone else.

Just think how many larger people there are out there who feel uncomfortable going to have beauty treatments who may feel more at ease going to someone (or having someone come to them) who they feel more 'normal' with.

Right or wrong, I have had many of my clients comment on how they feel more comfortable stripping for a tan or wax in front of me than they have felt previously as I am a larger person, I keep being told that I don't look as big as I am when people find out what size clothes I'm in, and I carry my weight well but I am unhappy with the size I have gotten to recently so I am dieting.

Even when I reach my target though I would still be classed as a larger person. I had to go out and buy a size 22 bottoms to go away recently and that made me decide I needed to diet, I aim to get back down into a size 18, maybe a size 16 bottoms and then I will see how I feel. I am 5" 7 and a pear shape but with a decent chest so luckily I look in proportion.

I'm currently 13 stone which I know isn't that big but I'm only 5ft 3' so being little i look bigger (I am loosing weight at the minute) not because i care what my clients think, but because i want to get myself healthy.

I've had comments before which I didn't get offended at but pretty cheeky when you think about it... One lady said, I'm glad i come to you as I don't feel awkward stripping off as your not likely to judge when your not skinny yourself :eek.

Me being fat or thin i wouldn't judge a clients size anyway.

I honestly think it does not matter on your size. & if your clients would judge you on it then shame on them!

Also I know a 'bigger' beautician & she is absolutely beautiful!

who cares about size xx

I am overweight & it has not turned my clients away from me.
Clients come back because of the service you provide & WHO you are x
Funnily enough the only place I've ever felt someone was negative towards me was at college!!
I'm not the "stereotypical" beauty image & my tutor spoke down to me & favoured & gave more support to the girls on the course who were slim!!

Here is to all the curvy beautiful therapists out there!! xxxxxxx

Im a size 16 and a short arse therapist, and I feel fine about my size. Im only trying to lose weight due to the fact I have been recently diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my knees.....worst luck :(

Women/men i think feel more comfortable with a therapist who has a big backside like me!! I like to think I portray a healthy woman (no offence to those who are lovely and thin, as long as we are all healthy thats what matters!)

Big hugs to all the curves out there!! :D

I would say Essex/London are more often than not "sizest" with regards to employment on the whole. HOWEVER I have never seen it in the beauty industry. My local beautician in Lewisham was a larger lady and the beauty staff in the salon in the 5* hotel I worked in were a good mix of slim and a little overweight.

So dont worry about it - I dont think clients would be worried about it at all.

Not sure if this is the correct place, but wanted to know what people think about being overweight in the beauty industry. I am overweight and am just starting out in the industry I'm also over 40 ! Do you think I will stand a chance in the industry ?

I used to think that you had to look unrealistically "good" to consider being in the beauty industry.

I learnt that beauty is about being able to make the best of yourself no matter what you weigh. Frankly I think clients can be inspired by this. Also, in my honest opinion, I don't think people want a therapist to look unrealistically model like...I think customers value skill, personality and people who represent the female body well no matter what size.

I don't think it's about weight in fact yes, it will be an advantage to unconfident clients if you're less than 'perfect'.

What I do think is vital, however, is that grooming is 100% spot on, all the time. Skin, hair & nails need to be immaculate whatever one's skill, and I think tan and waxed legs are vital if one does those too. I know we shouldn't judge but I think practice what you preach and all that. Different point, I know, but I do think we're judged on aesthetics to some degree xx

I don't know quite how overweight we're all talking here, but to be completely honest - I would find an unhealthily overweight therapist to be offputting. When I was applying for jobs I came across a lovely looking spa, but when I saw in photos that the two owners were obese, it changed my mind about applying. I think it goes against everything I've learnt about healthy living over the years at college.

I don't mean any offense whatsoever, but thought it would be worth throwing my opinion in there since no one else seems to have touched on that side of the argument! It's obviously a personal thing though. I wouldn't assume that an overweight therapist was bad at her job, but there's definitely something there that I just don't agree with.

Main concern for you would be your weight and health issues

The job is really physically demanding and the extra weight does make it more difficult

Perhaps be a good time to start on a diet?

What I do think is vital, however, is that grooming is 100% spot on, all the time. Skin, hair & nails need to be immaculate whatever one's skill, and I think tan and waxed legs are vital if one does those too. I know we shouldn't judge but I think practice what you preach and all that. Different point, I know, but I do think we're judged on aesthetics to some degree xx
Absolutely spot on! You can't even think about selling beauty and grooming services if you look like you've just rolled out of bed and pulled on whatever you found lying on the ground.

However that has nothing to do with being a bit overweight; you may find that is you are fab at your job, it will work with you, rather than against you :)

I used to work in a salon where I recommended my sister in law as a massage therapist to my manager. The next question she asked after whether she was qualified was 'Is she slim?'.

I was quiet taken back by this as I didn't think it was a relevant question...my sister in law happens to be quite overweight - my manager dismissed my recommendation and said that she wouldn't manage as a therapist if she was overweight as she 'would struggle moving around the bed' and something else which I feel is too horrible to repeat. I was disgusted as I don't feel that weight matters if you can do the job and are good at it.

I shouldn't have been surprised considering when I started there she made me remove my lip piercing. She said it would gross clients out! Needless to say I didn't stay there much longer as I couldn't stand her narrow minded views.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I don't know quite how overweight we're all talking here, but to be completely honest - I would find an unhealthily overweight therapist to be offputting. When I was applying for jobs I came across a lovely looking spa, but when I saw in photos that the two owners were obese, it changed my mind about applying. I think it goes against everything I've learnt about healthy living over the years at college.

I don't mean any offense whatsoever, but thought it would be worth throwing my opinion in there since no one else seems to have touched on that side of the argument! It's obviously a personal thing though. I wouldn't assume that an overweight therapist was bad at her job, but there's definitely something there that I just don't agree with.

This is my opinion also ! No being 'sizeist' but I feel the same z

What I do think is vital, however, is that grooming is 100% spot on, all the time. Skin, hair & nails need to be immaculate

I consider myself a very good therapist, I look after myself and feel that I am very presentable...lately I have been suffering with hormone problems and so my skin is really bad with breakouts which is very hard to control - do you think I shouldn't be doing my job if Ive got bad skin?! We are human and so cannot be perfect all the time!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

No I don't think that - I didn't say that I was talking about grooming, using very general comments.

I understand where you're coming from and your point but I think this is quite a sensitive topic on the whole and don't think people should read into it personally xx

I don't think it's about weight in fact yes, it will be an advantage to unconfident clients if you're less than 'perfect'.

100% agree, I always dread having to nip up to the shop for something when not "Glammed up" Imagine seeing a client or handing out business cards wearing no make-up, muddy wellies, tent style fleece top and bunched up hair. I have fooled myself into thinking they might believe that I have an ugly identical twin. LOL Unfortunately my accent always gives me away so I can never go incognito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back