Overweight in the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think size has anything to do with how comfortable you make someone feel!
I'm a size 8 and I'm sure clients feel just as comfortable around me this size as they would if I was size 18!
It's all about looking well groomed, smiling, being confident and friendly.
Size is irrelevant!xx

Totally agree :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I think it's easy to second guess what clients may be thinking, but the truth is we all have differing opinions and so do our clients.
There are some people that believe you have to show within yourself what you promote and some who feel their skills are purely what the client requires.

It reminds me of when I used to smoke. A Consultant at work in my other job, used to make negative comments every time anyone chose to have a cigarette on their break.
I told her quite plainly that I may work for the NHS, but they certainly don't own me. :irked:

Interesting thread. Geeks, you are your own self investment. Whatever size, shape however we come, people may judge but never have the nerve to say anything. It's only our own selves that puts us up or down. We are all beautiful no matter what!

But for long term health and well being the facts are that being slimmer is better

all that extra weight combined with the job of a therapist is not good for the body - especially the back and heart

and as most of us work for ourselves we have to invest into our bodies and health as much as we do our businesses

from the clients perspective - for everyone that feels better because their therapist is fat there are many more looking and wondering how we can promote wellbeing when we dont look after ourselves?

Totally agree I have a spinal problem caused by an accident and am a size 12 now so it was rather irritating when one of my spinal nurses said i had to lose a bit of weight so as not to put extra stain on my knees. Im ok with the advice but it was being given to me by someone very overweight, to her credit she acknowledged it wasnt easy losing weight and I wasnt to view her as an example.Regular exercise and sensible eating will enhance anyones well-being, success as a proffessional will depend on working hard at our job and treating our clients with respect and ofcourse our grooming. A persons size is a small part of who they are and what they are capable of doing, sorry ive gone on a bit:lol:

So everyone that's over weight doesn't look after themselves??

Yes thats correct

as uncomfortable as that may be for some its true

being overweight is a serious health issue and if we love ourselves we should care and look after our bodies

Yes thats correct

being overweight is a serious health issue and if we love ourselves we should care and look after our bodies

Tbh, that may be true in the majority of cases but not everyone's weight is due to lifestyle choice. Many health conditions can cause things like water retention, increased appetite and weight gain. Not to mention birth control or mental health issues like depression.

I choose to be my size because I love eating and do minimal exercise, to put it bluntly, I happily admit it. But I am MUCH more attractive than lots of slimmer people that I know. I love myself too much to deprive myself of the things I crave, for all I know I could be struck down by a bus tomorrow! I enjoy life and I bloody well enjoy my food. I know people can take that to extremes but then depriving yourself of food can also lead to other extremes (anorexia, bulimia etc)

Oh, and I do take care of myself actually. My skin, hair, nails, eyebrows and lashes, makeup etc are always immaculate and I know I look great.

Weight means sweet fanny adams in my eyes and I really pity anyone who genuinely cares about weight to the extent that they automatically judge someone because of their weight because that is not only shallow and small-minded but really petty too.

Tbh, that may be true in the majority of cases but not everyone's weight is due to lifestyle choice. Many health conditions can cause things like water retention, increased appetite and weight gain. Not to mention birth control or mental health issues like depression.

studies show the % of people overweight because of other health issues are mininmal

consume more calories than you burn = weight gain

I choose to be my size because I love eating and do minimal exercise, to put it bluntly, I happily admit it. But I am MUCH more attractive than lots of slimmer people that I know. I love myself too much to deprive myself of the things I crave, for all I know I could be struck down by a bus tomorrow! I enjoy life and I bloody well enjoy my food. I know people can take that to extremes but then depriving yourself of food can also lead to other extremes (anorexia, bulimia etc)

thats great you feel so positive about being overweight - but the reality is that the majority of women who are fat dont feel happy about it and given a choice would opt for being slimmer

Oh, and I do take care of myself actually. My skin, hair, nails, eyebrows and lashes, makeup etc are always immaculate and I know I look great.

Weight means sweet fanny adams in my eyes and I really pity anyone who genuinely cares about weight to the extent that they automatically judge someone because of their weight because that is not only shallow and small-minded but really petty too.

shallow and small minded perhaps but the reality is that we are in an industry based on image and appearance - people come to us becuase they want to look and feel better and likewise people judge us on how we appear

I'd prefer it if people just kept their opinions to themselves about my weight.

At the end of the day I would be called unprofessional if I made any assumption about a clients weight and so they shouldn't make assumptions about mine.

I think this thread is starting to turn and many peoples feelings are going to start getting hurt.

Nobody has the right to tell someone else how fat/thin they should be and nobody has the right to tell someone they are not healthy because of their size - unless they are a Dr that is.

very interesting thread and one i can really relate to. I am slightly over weight and i look more like a rugby player than a director of a beauty company. i was totally dreading doing the beauty shows this year as i felt that people would expect me to be a little more well groomed.:irked: when the truth is i am very working class a bit rough around the edges and very Mancunian. :) I actually had a panic attack when the doors opened at excel for our first big show.
But once i started talking to people and it became apparent to them that i am very professional honest and that i was offering a great product the nerves subsided and i almost out sold Dawn on the first day and i couldnt wait for the next day and now i love the beauty show circuit ,we have made some good friends picked up 100s of new customers and made great contacts from being at them.
I can honestly say our most succesfull mobile spray tanner does 90 tans a week and shes a curvy girl i think when people are getting into there skimpys in front of a therapist. the larger ladies feel better being in front of a therapist who is of a similar size

it is interesting to read everyones opinions...

i think a therapist is either up to the job or she's not.

her size....totally irrelevant...

The thing that annoys me is that being overweight isn't considered an eating disorder...is it normal to sit and eat when you feel full? I don't want to eat but I do, I don't know why, there's obviously an underlying reason for it but no one will help. It's like an addiction like being an alcohol but if your overweight no one cares...if your anorexic oh quick help them. Its pathetic I think our society needs to open there eyes and see that it's the same thing!!

Yes thats correct

Sorry but this could be applied to all sorts!

Have you ever broken a speed limit? Drank more that the recommended daily amount? Smoked?

That's not looking after yourself but people still do it!

I was a size16-18 in January, I'm now a size 12 type 1 diabetic and I struggle everyday to balance my food and medication! I exercise everyday! And I know for a fact because about 80% of my clients always Tell me they feel more comfortable with me than someone thin! And I'm not offended in the slightest! It's got me more business!

Some diabetics put on
Weight by looking after themselves! Insulin can make people put on weight! By taking their insulin they are controlling their blood sugars but this can lead to gaining weight! Not all thin or slim people are healthy! In fact I am fitter and healthier than my slimmer twin sister. It's not a fact at all. It's a possibility!

Yes thats correct

I'm sorry, I thought we were hair, nail, beauty therapists, not personal trainers or health professionals!
I've been the way I am since i was a child. Just like you probably have been the way you are. Oh and I've been in the beauty industry for 20 years!! Never really been an issue with my work.
And as for us over weight people not looking after ourselves I suppose my 3 times a week at they gym doesn't count. Not every over weight person sits on their bum all day eating.

Not every over weight person sits on their bum all day eating.

Aw I'd love that :D

But on a serious note... I think this is a very interesting thread, about perceptions and expectations in the industry.

I'm not aiming at any one post but generally - it would be good for everyone to have their input without fear of persecution so PLEASE don't read into anything that posters have said personally people xxx

The most successful therapist I have ever met is a big girl. No raving beauty either. Bloody good at her job though. She had the biggest clientele I ever saw outside of my own.

The vast majority of people using a beauty salon are middle aged ladies. 18 year old skinny minnies are quite intimidating for them, especially when they are JUDGEMENTAL skinny minnies.

My current therapists are both young (20's) slim and beautiful. Even I am uncomfortable getting my bikini line waxed by them cos I dont fancy getting undressed. I am only in my 40's and not particularly shy.

I was really upset once by a young beautiful therapist who made derogatory comments about my feet during a pedicure. As I stand on my feet for 11 hours a day, they are a bit hoof like and completely flat. She was so personal and nasty that I did my own feet for years after that.
Therapists cannot expect to only work on the young and beautiful.
It can be useful to be reminded that it is not all about YOU the therapist, it is about how the client feels, and sometimes an older or more flawed therapist can be more popular than a big lashed, size 6 oompaloompa.

OMG Angie - you are soooo very wrong!!
I am overweight and nearly 50 yet my business is doing really well!! The other lady who works with me is the same and to be honest clients love the fact that we are "real women!!" They love the fact we have conversations, curves, cellulite!! Even the young clients are comfortable with us - think they see us as "mother" figures!!
Go for it is all I can say x

I couldn't have put it better!
I trained at 37, will be 50 next month and size 16, and I couldn't be busier at work.

Diane x

The most successful therapist I have ever met is a big girl. No raving beauty either. Bloody good at her job though. She had the biggest clientele I ever saw outside of my own.

The vast majority of people using a beauty salon are middle aged ladies. 18 year old skinny minnies are quite intimidating for them, especially when they are JUDGEMENTAL skinny minnies.

My current therapists are both young (20's) slim and beautiful. Even I am uncomfortable getting my bikini line waxed by them cos I dont fancy getting undressed. I am only in my 40's and not particularly shy.

I was really upset once by a young beautiful therapist who made derogatory comments about my feet during a pedicure. As I stand on my feet for 11 hours a day, they are a bit hoof like and completely flat. She was so personal and nasty that I did my own feet for years after that.
Therapists cannot expect to only work on the young and beautiful.
It can be useful to be reminded that it is not all about YOU the therapist, it is about how the client feels, and sometimes an older or more flawed therapist can be more popular than a big lashed, size 6 oompaloompa.

lol persianasta made me laff but that girl could be an excellent therapist too!

i understand from what the majority are saying on this post is that they are bigger and that customers like that

but my point is about health and welbeing and as a therapist the extra weight is not good for our health

and really at the end of day we don't fatten ourselves up just to make customers happy do we? i know its all about the customer but that would take the fat feeders concept to the extreme lols

The thing that annoys me is that being overweight isn't considered an eating disorder...is it normal to sit and eat when you feel full? I don't want to eat but I do, I don't know why, there's obviously an underlying reason for it but no one will help. It's like an addiction like being an alcohol but if your overweight no one cares...if your anorexic oh quick help them. Its pathetic I think our society needs to open there eyes and see that it's the same thing!!

Amy - join slimming world you'll get loads of help and support - i know its hard, you're right theres very little for over eaters but slimming world is good

I'm so glad someone made a thread about this, as it's something that has been playing on my mind lately. I'm in my 20's, and an Australian size 16.

As a client, I am horrendously intimidated and uncomfortable when having treatments done by a beautiful "skinny mini". No matter how lovely they are. When having treatments done by a "bigger" person I feel much more at ease. But that's JUST my personal opinion, and my personal insecurities.

I do worry about clients judging me on my size, as when you hear "beauty therapist", images of a beautiful, "skinny mini" who is perfectly groomed do come to mind.

Yes, we should try and look after ourselves if we want to be healthy. Beauty industry expectations are so high. Most (and I say most because there ARE slimming detox wraps, etc) clients don't come to us wanting to drop a few kgs, they come for nails, a facial, makeup, a massage, to feel good about themselves. But in saying that, going to an overweight beauty therapist is not like going to a personal trainer who is overweight - personal training demands you also be fit and/or slim, but the only thing beauty can DEMAND is what we provide - nice nails/hair/makeup etc.

Started off in the beauty industry 16 years ago aged 20 and a size 10 uniform, now I'm a size 16. I do think being slim looks much better but I have tried and tried gastric balloon (put on weight) slimming world (weight stayed the same). Im now on thyroid medication and it is beginning to work. However, everyday I get either my old regulars chatting to me about my weight gain. I know they want me to look my best but it does knock the confidence, they always say you were fine before you got pregnant, which is true, but I worked up to being enduced then was back at work 6 day after a c section. This was as a single parent and selling and buying a new house, the least of my worries was dieting. The reason I state this I think the weight gain was caused by not taking adequate rest and pushing myself too soon. To lose weight we have Make time for ourselves first, something easier to do in your twenties with no major commitments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back