Overwhelmed with nail brands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jules6nt

Reaction score
Hi, as I am just starting out, I am overwhelmed by all the different brands. I trained in Classy Nails, but was looking for alternatives. I have been advised that these are good brands to use:
Manicure Company
Gelux
Premier Gel
O.P.I
Any comments/suggestions would be most welcome!

Hi, as I am just starting out, I am overwhelmed by all the different brands. I trained in Classy Nails, but was looking for alternatives. I have been advised that these are good brands to use:
Manicure Company
Gelux
Premier Gel
O.P.I
Any comments/suggestions would be most welcome!
I can only comment on premier gel as I haven't used the other brands mentioned. I not long started out and invested alot into premier gel, to then get a server reaction to the product and main separation, if you look into this in more depth you will find I'm not the only tech to experience this and others have been qualified alot longer, even educators and clients of these people so it's not just from misuse on my behalf. They are getting no support from the company and being deleted from fb groups when asking questions! Obviously the choice is completely your own, and there are others been using it and had no issues. I just feel like people should be made aware and make there own choice.

Just to throw another brand out there I have been testing, ink london are good and customer service been fabulous

Good luck x

Thanks, I will have a look in to this. Every time someone suggests a brand I then go on to hear bad things about them . I have bought some from a couple of brands and trying them out. Will maybe do this with a few more until I find one that I feel comfortable with x

I can imagine it must be an absolute minefield out there for you, it must be so hard for new techs to find good and reputable information in order to make an informed choice of where they want to spend their hard earned money.

I am not going to recommend any brand to be honest, as it's all very personal, and I am getting rather tired of these threads of "what is the best x" (this isn't a personal dig at you, but at what kind of questions tend to ask) :)

What I am instead going to do is advice you to sit down and make a list of things your new brand must have, or items that are important to you and your business. For example, for me I look for a brand that offers education and training, has a full range of products from prep to removal products, will provide me with SDS documentation etc etc. (my list is rather long)

However, this is what I look for, you need to decide what is important to you.
Another thing that appears to be putting a few techs off is the price of a product. When looking at costs, rather than seeing any product purchase as an "expenses" see it as an investment and calculate your ROI (return on investment). You need to calculate the price per service and how much investment this single bottle of gel polish will bring back in return, then the price of the various gel polish brands actually don't turn out to be much different. :)

Don't simply take other people's advice, your business is yours and only you can make it into what you want.

I’m also new and recently changed system to Ikon.IQ which I can’t praise enough! The products are hypoallergenic, affordable, have a great range, great customer service, offers education and conversion classes... I feel like they’re really progressive and won’t compromise with safety which is important to me as I hope to do this a lot and for a long time :)
Sorry for adding another brand to an already long list ;) Hope you find something suitable for you! :D

Thanks Ongen! xx

jules6nt, we also have a free LED/UV lamp offer when you spend £180 exc. VAT on gels, gel polishes or acrylgel. If you join our FB group, you can read other comments and find out about our "See & Try" events from September to December.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ikoniqnails/

I'm about to do a course in nails and have literally just spent hundreds on PG to find out after that lots if nails techs are having severe reactions to the products. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much Ikon IQ are charging

I'm about to do a course in nails and have literally just spent hundreds on PG to find out after that lots if nails techs are having severe reactions to the products. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much Ikon IQ are charging
We are not allowed to post product prices here, so I will send you a message.

Love Opi for its colours. It’s so widely known and trusted. Great for matching colours for nail polish. The Gelish system is also great as I know sooo many people use their system with colours from brands such as Opi.
Saying all this though, at the moment The Gel Bottle is super popular. X

I am fairly new and I agree with Anna. What works for me isn't necessarily going to work for you. I would suggest getting some trial kits and having a play.

Anna has summed it up in a nutshell. You need to question what is important to you when choosing a brand.
When I first started out I used some very well known brands. But unfortunately there were no educators close by so I looked around until I found the support I needed and trialled brands before commiting.
Also with allergies to HEMA becoming more frequent you may need to look into this a bit more.
You would be surprised at just how many products contain HEMA, even well known brands!
This may not be important to you but if it is then ask companies for their safety data sheets...... if they won't/can't produce them readily then I would look at this as a red flag.
Good luck in your journey [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back