Own tanning product?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFB1976

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has ever thought of launching there own tanning solution and if you would know where to start the process? X

Look up manufacturers and make some calls. It won’t be easy. Lots fails, eg Laurens Way..The latest OMG copy that has ended up closed down due to dodgy solutions.

You really need to know your stuff or know the industry well, rather than relying on a company to make it for you as you’ll have to consider logistics, recruitment, marketing..

Have you thought about studying cosmetic science or getting a job in a similar field first? Get a feel for it and get contacts.

Or find a generic tan manufacturer and get a typical tan solution with your branding on. But you’d need to rigorously try samples and give it out to salons so you get real feedback.

Hi there,

I developed my own tanning products. I studied skincare manufacture and then retained the services of an excellent contract manufacturer to make it happen. I am happy to talk you through it if you're interested. You do need a point of difference, for us it's the fact that our products are Organic and Palm Oil-Free that makes us stand us and it is this that has made us successful.

Samantha

Hi there,

I developed my own tanning products. I studied skincare manufacture and then retained the services of an excellent contract manufacturer to make it happen. I am happy to talk you through it if you're interested. You do need a point of difference, for us it's the fact that our products are Organic and Palm Oil-Free that makes us stand us and it is this that has made us successful.

Samantha

That and the false advertising. DHA is a manufactured compound and as such can not be organic.

@spraytanningguy, you need to do research before posting. DHA is an allowable input by Organic Food Chain.

@spraytanningguy, you need to do research before posting. DHA is an allowable input by Organic Food Chain.

Looking online, the ‘Organic Food Chain’ appears to be a wholly Australian body.

In this instance, @spraytanningguy has a valid point. DNA compound isn’t itself organic.

Therefore, under European cosmetic labelling laws, (which are pretty stringent), you probably wouldn’t be able to label the product as Organic on the European market.

A product is classed as organic if it has >85% organic ingredients. It is rare to find a 100% organic product.

"for us it's the fact that our products are Organic and Palm Oil-Free that makes us stand us and it is this that has made us successful"

We have been in the Spray Tanning Industry since 2003, one of the first 5 exhibiting at professional beauty. I have never seen a solution that is not made with Water, H20. and mostly over 90% water. Unless your solution is made with something other than water then it cannot be "Organic", Your 85% will, no doubt, include water which is Non-Organic.

@Ambermist, most organic spray tans are Aloe Vera-based. I am surprised you didn't know that, given your 15 years in the industry.

I don’t think I have ever read a more ill informed post in my entire life. Aloe Vera based indeed!

"I don’t think I have ever read a more ill informed post in my entire life. Aloe Vera based indeed!"
Couldn't agree more! we have Aloe Vera in our solutions but it is a gel, if the solution was all Aloe Vera you would spread it on, not spray it! As I previously stated, to my knowledge, ALL spray tanning solutions have water in them and therefore NONE are organic!
And 2003 to date is 17 years in the Industry!

"I don’t think I have ever read a more ill informed post in my entire life. Aloe Vera based indeed!"
Couldn't agree more! we have Aloe Vera in our solutions but it is a gel, if the solution was all Aloe Vera you would spread it on, not spray it! As I previously stated, to my knowledge, ALL spray tanning solutions have water in them and therefore NONE are organic!
And 2003 to date is 17 years in the Industry!

Not all Aloe Vera is in gel form, you can also buy it as a juice and as a powder.

"for us it's the fact that our products are Organic and Palm Oil-Free that makes us stand us and it is this that has made us successful"

We have been in the Spray Tanning Industry since 2003, one of the first 5 exhibiting at professional beauty. I have never seen a solution that is not made with Water, H20. and mostly over 90% water. Unless your solution is made with something other than water then it cannot be "Organic", Your 85% will, no doubt, include water which is Non-Organic.

With respect, this is completely wrong. Water does not preclude a product from being certified organic.

With respect, you don't know what you are talking about and if you label your spray tanning solution as 100% organic you are missleading the public and that would be an offence under US, UK and EU law and almost certainly under Australian Law.

Can water be certified organic?
Because water is two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule, by definition it is then an inorganic compound, and cannot be organic. In the US, under the National Organic Program (NOP) policy it is specifically stated that water cannot be certified organic.

95% organic ingredients by weight (of the agricultural ingredients) and only permitted non-organic ingredients, processing aids and water. Water is excluded from the organic calculation. Products that contain 70-95% organic ingredients can be labelled with the phrase “product containing X% organic ingredients”.

Check with your "contract manufacturer" your spray tanning solution cannot be 95% organic ingredients and 5% water and Aloe Vera juice and powder do not "spray" either! You can label your product that it contains X% of organic ingredients, if in fact, it has any.( colour guide etc? )

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back