own tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitefeather

Reaction score
Hi

I have a lady who I have just heard has bought her own white tips because she is under the impression that they are "stronger than natural"!!

I have 2 questions:

1, I usually charge £25 for a full set of french acrylics.. how much should I charge her now??

2, Has anyone ever come across this before because its a first for me!

3, I will explain that the tip is not what makes them stronger they just give the length but would love some advice on this please :eek::eek:

Many thanks

Whitey

How very strange and rude,some clients think they know it all don't they?are they made by the same people that your products are if not just explain that you can't use them as you only use one supplier and all products have to be the same including tips!!!i know that may not be completely true but you don't want your clients trying to make their appointments cheaper or you'll start loosing money

All though Im not mobile or salon based I would not fall for this one hun, dont charge her any different, your doing the same work, your using your products, shes prolly bought them from the market or somthing.

Seriously tell her that you still have to charge her the same as its the time and products your still using.

good luck hun. :hug:

to be honest hun i think she is taking the pi**
thinking it will be cheaper using her own tips
would you go to the dentist and take your own fillings and ask them to put them in for you?
i would stick to using your own and explain that you dont know the quality of the tips she has so they could be substandard

I feel that I would not do enhancements on somebody if I didnt also provide the tips.

As Katherine Tate says - What a f***ing liberty!

Thanks, I was quite offended to be honest! I cant believe some folk!

TBH she would only be saving around --p on the full set.. I just worked it out on the tips I use.

I would love to know if anyone else has come across this little dilema?

Also what about the white tips for strength malarky?

Whitey

charge her £25 still..... or before you know it she will be trying to pay you with fruit and veg or something alike instead of cash lol xx

The enhancements will be weaker with white tips because you cant blend them and thin them down, its the product over a thin tip that gives you the strengh and the apex also gives strengh hth

I feel that I would not do enhancements on somebody if I didnt also provide the tips.

As Katherine Tate says - What a f***ing liberty!

Lol, my thoughts exactly, personally I would not consider doing someone's nails if they brought their own tips.
How would it affect your insurance hun?

i would do it for her and charge the same, or maybe just knock the 50p off!!, is she going to keep buying the same boxes all the time or just the odd sizes that youll use??,
more expensive for her in the long run i would have thought
jmho

No,tips are not stronger.
In fact,they are weaker.

I would NEVER charge less than my regular price.
And unless it's nailpolish in a colour I do not have, I will not use anything but my own products.

Tell her no flat out, that you won't use them as they aren't part of your system. We all have our own preferences as to the type of products we use.
You have your preferences for a reason.
If she wants to use her own tips,then let her do her own enhancements.

best of luck.

:hug:

Also what about the white tips for strength malarky?
Val

Hi Val

Colour does not effect the strength in the slightest! That is like saying a red car really does go faster than the blue one??!!

The best tips are made from the highest quality virgin ABS plastic, and these are not cheap, nor are they normally available to the general public.
Odds are good that she has seen these for sale in the chemist (or similar) read the label that said 'professional quality strength blah blah' and thought she knows best..

You are the professional, you have paid a lot to have professional training and products. How would a member of the general public have discovered a magical solution that you had no idea about???

At the end of the day, the tip is a canvas - it provides a shape and platform for the gel/ liquid & powder to cure on. The overlay is the strength and structure, the tip is just plastic and is the weakest part of the enhancement.

Rubish,it doesn't matter what tips you use some may seem alot less flexible but that doesn't make them stronger you need flexibilty otherwise they will just break if you bash one........................the strength is in the product acrylic, gel, or what ever you use hun xxx

To be honest if it were me I wouldn't do it. If she cannot respect my professional judgement and my training then she can go and buy stick ons!!!

If you do decide to go ahead then charge her the same price. I used to rent space in a hair salon and some ladies used to bring their own shampoo because they thought it was better than professional products, but the salon stil charged them the same price.

Wow!! thanks for all of the great replies.

I think I will charge the same, as it will still take the same amount of MY time and it is a business I am trying to build up... I cant really if the customers want to make shortcuts.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how I get on on Wednesday evening.

Whitey ;)

I wouldn't do it either, she is in effect compomising your prefessional integrity and training.

In the hair salon I used to work at, some clients brought in their presacription shampoo to use, which was fine as it was prescribed for them....it's not like some white tips are prescribed by a GP.

Stand your ground and don't let this client take advantage of you. If someone came in to my salon and said that to me I would tell them that I wouldn't do it and they should go and try a salon that would......but having said that I am sure there are some that would actually do it....how wrong is that?

Tell her to stick her tips up her you know what!

I had a lady asking if i could stick some tips on her for nowt! she had bought them from boots. No chance.

xx

No, no and no! I can not believe the cheek of some people.

Tell her to get her own product, her own brush and her own training and insurance and then SHE CAN DO HER OWN NAILS.

Teri x:lol:

i have been asked similar ..
heres a thread i posted quite a while ago !! http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/43951-cheek-some-people-lol.html

also just to add ,i would not give her the amount the tips cost you off if you had of used them anyway ,if we do this clients will soon be trying to add up the cost of every item that you use ,:lol:
and trying to get cheaper sets all over the place xxxxx

ooo edit to add ...you might be best taking the price that tips cost you per client , off your post hun..
clients can also view the site,and not every client realises they are paying for your time too,
we'll have clients coming saying "ooh well such a such say's it only costs xx amount for the tips ,why are you charging this much !!!
xxx

No way do you go giving your client a discount for bringing her own tips! (IMO)
She is (like your other clients) paying for your time and expertise and not just for your products.

If you let her bring her own tips for a discounted price then she'll tell her friends to go get their tips from xyz shop and you'll do them on the cheap (so to speak), is that how you want your reputation to be built?
I know I wouldn't want my reputation to be built on that kind of recommendation.

Be strong and stand your ground... :hug:

Latest posts

Back