Owt for nowt, frustrated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalbrandy

Reaction score
I get so annoyed by people wanting anything for nothing. I advertise through Facebook and have clients asking me for prices ( even though my price list is on) I charge £30 a full set and only use the best products, it's either I'll get back to you or do u do a deal for me and my friend.
It really frustrates me too after I spent lots of time training and hard work for someone to go and do a two day course and all of a sudden there a " nail technician " and will charge £12 a full set , then clients will complain how rubbish they are and didn't last , sorry for ranting but it's my pet hate grrrr xx

I know it's hard but don't let it bother you! If your prices are reflective of the work you do and the area you are in, then do not lower them to compete! I get plenty of people telling my clients they will do Gelish for them for a tenner! I won't compete with that, and none of my clients have taken them up on their offer.

I've had some people enquire about prices and then not got back to me. Then il see a week later they've had them done for half the price, and they look rubbish. I do not want clients like that! The bargain hunters who do not look after their new nails anyway.

Persevere and it will pay off :) I used to feel like you did xxxx

I think it's just the world we live in today. Everywhere the consumer turns there are companies competing with each other and offering the best deal.

As a nation we are encouraged to shop about for the best bargains and the sales seem to be a constant thing, not just twice a year anymore.

But, what the 'savvy' consumer will learn is that if they try and apply this to receiving a service such as nails, hair or any other beauty treatment, they will not necessarily receive the same quality as the person who is charging what they are worth.

This frustrates me too. When I started spray tanning I charged £10 whilst I was still getting in to it and then put the price up to £20. My friend text asking for a tan and I made her aware that prices had gone up and she said well I'm not going to bother then as I was only having it cause it was cheap!

It's like no one values the time and effort and everyone wants something for nothing xxx

Its so frustrating hate when people say can you do me deal on something like a file and paint and a eyebrow shape.. Umm no!! Everyone else pays full price why should you deserve a deal!! I personally wudent have the nerve to ask lol

My best one was a woman who rang and said i see your lash extensions are £55 can you do me a deal and i said well there on special offer for £50 this month, she then said well cant you go any lower so i explained about products (lash perfect), time etc. And she then said okay well someone offered to do them for £25 so i just said thats fine if you would prefer to go to them i understand.. Funny enough she rang back later on and booked in with me and was very pleased and is now a regular.. My lashes are now £60 for a full set and she never even questions it.. I learnt my lesson with her to stick to my guns cus people will try anything!!!

I have been asked if i could travel quite far and do some acrylic nails and get paid at the end of the month and also the other day if i could do a tan on i.o.u? i politely declined both offers. i would never ever ask someone to travel to my house and carry out a treatment to pay them another time.
It is really disheartening sometimes:irked:

I do discount for multiple treatments but only if 2 people are having them second person gets half price. I just did 2 1 1/2 hr Hotstone massages @$160 each. Had to drive hr there on dirt road mostly. I would normally charge travel but waived it if they had minimum treatment of $240 or above. You get clients who are willing to pay what you charge if you believe your worth it. There are mant therapists where I am that do Hotstone and mobile, I'm the dearest in price. I'd rather do 1 treatment than 3 to make the same money. I don't need as many clients this way either just loyal ones who have disposable income.

I have been asked if i could travel quite far and do some acrylic nails and get paid at the end of the month and also the other day if i could do a tan on i.o.u? i politely declined both offers. i would never ever ask someone to travel to my house and carry out a treatment to pay them another time.
It is really disheartening sometimes:irked:

Jokers some people are!

Sod this I'm off to asda to get my shopping on tick until pay day!

x

I do think you have to decide your lowest price and never go any lower. There will always be someone cheaper and if they want the cheapest I don't think they stick with you. They just go to who ever is the cheapest xx

I'm glad this is just not me, its like going to next and picking a new top at £35 and asking the cashier to do it for £25 ! I must admit I do think prices reflect your work and the clientele as all my clients are lovely and , how to put this? Not scruffy if that makes sence. I find it's the young single parents that want a next to nothing offer, not to offend anyone though, as I've been a single parent myself, but have always paid the price for nice things :) xxx

Cheap attracts cheap! Set your prices at what you're worth and sod 'em. x

We can all sympathise and we do, my snarl of the week is a silly woman who is only a couple of miles away from me, she stalks me on fb, every time I put a status up she's straight in there, she's mobile by the way, her tans are £10, L&P £10 Gelish, yep £10 Now I'm better trained then she is, got a lot more on my service menu and would never do more than a file and polish for £10, but yesterday some silly little girl wanted to know what I'd charge for a Brow wax and tint. Now before I could tell her the price she said to me, that she'd pay me £5 :eek: and could I come round straight away. I explained that, no, I'm not mobile, and no, the brow wax would cost her £7 and the tint was £5 and she told me that my fb stalker charges half my price for a spray tan. So I said she'd better go there for her wax and tint. But, she says, she doesn't do wax and tint.
Em, yes, I know that, that's my point. No she didn't get it. :rolleyes:
So deep breath in, let it out and reach for the glass of wine. Chin up luv, it takes time to build a client base with the right kind of clients, but they are out there, just keep doing what you are doing, keep doing the courses, keep using the quality products and you will get there xx

My cousin (who charged me over the odds for babysitting duties) asked on a Facebook post that I was chatting to a potential customer on what she gets for free yesterday!!
I politely reminded her that I'm a business not a charity and that her prices for babysitting never got questioned!!
I had a client ask today if I will do her a package price whilst I was doing her nails I didn't mind so much though as when I asked her what she wanted done she reeled off about 8 of my most expensive treatments!!
She also sat through 2 1/2 hours with me doing her l&p (meant to be a go fast system that takes an hour! I'm still in my fine tuning stage!) Without a complaint and refused to pay me any less than full price!
A customer like her I will work hard to keep.

I dont mind doing special offers but thats for everyone and lasts a month. I have been asked can I do lash extensions for £20 because she was skint till payday...politely refused and said I was booked up!

Bet she had the money for going out though...

Then I have had the " But so and so only charges x amount for her lash extensions " to which I reply well I would go there then if I was you!! They soon change their minds and crack on they dont have the appointment they need :|

:unfortunately due to the recession and cheap groupon deals people have champange taste, but shandy pockets!!

These people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.....which in some cases is their downfall!

I did a camouflage makeup trial for a bride who wanted a med size tat of her ex partners name covered for her wedding day as she and her husband too be didnt want her name :Love: ex partners name plastered on her arm to appear in any photos etc!

As a professionl camouflage procatitioner I did a consult, gave a quote and did a trial which went really well and the coverage lasted all day with only a tiny bit of break through happening after 9 hours which can happen with some tattoo pigments which I explained during the consult and she understood.

She and hubby to be were amazed by the results and by how many people she knew that she saw on the day of trial said it was if there had never been a tattoo there and how flawless it was and couldnt belive it had been done in the morning as it lasted sooooo long and was still flawless and naturel.

However , she said she didnt want to spend £XXX on it for the trial & wedding day as she had seen that a 'makeup artist' was offering tattoo cover for £10- £20 including travel and could i do the same deal to keep her booking?:eek:

I decllined as I told her I use high grade products deisnged for tattoo cover, I have trianing in skin camouflage makeup and experience.. that why i charge what i charge. The prices also include my time, travel costs and the amount of product i have to use to cover the tattoo.

Fastforward 3 months later I bump in to the groom in our local pub and I asked how the wedding went, he told me that after i declined her offer she went and booked the £20 all inclusive MUA without doing a trial as she though it would be a like for like service WTF!

On the day the MUA turned up and just covered the tattoo with MAC face and body (no nutrilising of pigments nothing) and left after 15 mins, wthin 30 min breakthough appeared to the point the tattoo could be seen in all its glory, she called the MUA to ask her to come back and rectofy it but could not get throught to her......

It took all my strength not to say well you get what you pay for ha ha !!!!!

Last edited:
Like everyone says most are out for a cheap deal, but they think they will get the best service! Keep doing what your doing, and you will attract the loyal customers x

Last edited:
I can't believe people do that it's so rude. The lady that does my wax and brows put her prices up a couple of months ago and she was apologising to me !!!! I said that I had been with her from the first day she set her salon up and totally understand that prices change. I would not go anywhere else cause she is great at what she does and feel very comfortable with her x

im beginning to think that facebook advertisement only gets clients that look for a bargain. In my area a lot of people are advertising on there and there is a lot of competition. Their prices are also very cheap :irked: i don`t know how they can afford to pay for bills.
Keep your prices up and do not compete with them and you will only get loyal clients not after a bargain but a good set of nails from a professional. I`ve learned that. x

I think its good to do special offers but at the end of the day i set my prices for a reason and if people don't like them then they can jog on.

Don't let it get you down.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back