Pain with cap highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kells

Reaction score
Hi,

I qualified as a hairdresser in May last year and have been trying to build up a mobile business. At the moment I largely do friends & families hair.

For a while I have been doing cap lowlights for my boyfriend as he is greying and doesnt like to have the whole head coloured as he thinks it looks to unnatural and obviously coloured but he moans so much about the pain of using the cap. Because of how much he moans I am feeling reluctant to colour his hair anymore but more so, I am worried that my technique is totally wrong if it is proving to be so painful.

I am very cautious and make sure that the hook doesnt touch the scalp and am gentle when pulling the hair through but being so cautious means it is taking me twice as long as it should do.

Any suggestions to what I am doing wrong or is he just being a big wimp?

Hi kells tbh babe i think you need to do it quicker, I find that the quicker you pull through the less painfull it is. Have you never tried putting the tint onto a wide tooth comb and combing it through where you want to cover the gre.
hth hun
Jo xxxx:hug:

its like a man flu thing! its always going to be far more painful than if you were working on a lady ! is he very grey or or is it just at the temples because you could always use a wide tooth comb to pop the colour on ?

also are you trying to pull too much through each hole? As that would hurt!, as suggested try pulling it quickly through and are you remembering to brush the hair through before putting on the cap? Im sure you are but just another suggestion.

have you tried using the spatula....brilliant for low lights, and brilliant for short hair ...
i use the spatula on my hair as it is short enough, and its so quick...and the affect is really good...

I do remember to brush the hair first & I don't think i am pulling to much through - I think he is just a wimp! lol!
I will try the widetooth comb - I didn't even think of that but it is obvious really!! I am sure that will stop his whining!
I think his hair may be too short for the spatula but I will certainly look into this! Thanks for your replies! It has made me feel much happier!

xx

I am not a hair professional but a hair client. I have had my hair (in the past) highlighted using the cap method. This was before the days of foils (I'm ancient) I had it done in salons always.
I always found it very painful and in fact my scalp was sore for days afterwards. I always assumed it was because my hair is very coarse and thick but maybe I was wrong. I'd love to have it done again - to add colour cos now I'm totally white - see profile pic - any advice

I am not a hair professional but a hair client. I have had my hair (in the past) highlighted using the cap method. This was before the days of foils (I'm ancient) I had it done in salons always.
I always found it very painful and in fact my scalp was sore for days afterwards. I always assumed it was because my hair is very coarse and thick but maybe I was wrong. I'd love to have it done again - to add colour cos now I'm totally white - see profile pic - any advice

Advice - a paper bag! :lol::lol::lol:

Only kidding Adele - you dont need to add colour to your hair - it really suits you as it is.

Hi , rather than just pulling the hair though on its own
if you are right handed just place your left pointy finger of the other hand on the perforation hole in the cap ,

then gently place your hook into the perforation hole and gently hook in some hair and press gently against the left pointy finger under the cap ,
you will feel the pressure and how much hair you are gathering with the left pointy finger ,

eg ;
Imagine if you closed your eyes and you were feeling for how much hair to pull through ,
if you know what I mean .

This way you can actually feel how much hair you are gathering up.
(but don't dig in or hit the scalp )

Then when it feels right just gently pull through in little tugs
( it may take some practice ) but is really fast and easy once you master it
and its a lot less painful :hug:
and don't forget to talc your cap , also leave his hair greasy too , hth
oh yes , and keep your eyes open too lol x

Last edited:
:irked:i hate having mine streaked as i am head sore. So i found disposable streaking caps are better they arent as tight on the scalp, i also put the hook in to the side and place the finger and thumb of my left had on the sides of the hole. My customers that have it streaked all say the caps are far better and much less painful:green:

I used to hate cap low/highlights as I am very head sore. But nowadays I have foil lights put in and its perfect, no pain - all gain!

i agree with the using the spatula.
alot quicker than foil/mesh and cap...

i agree with the using the spatula.
alot quicker than foil/mesh and cap...

HOWEVER lol,i do beleive to become a fully qualified/good stylist you really need to master all aplication techniques,only then IMO you go on to use the best for you and your clients.

Maybe some 121 tuition would help,as the pain being caused is down to technique hth's xx

Latest posts

Back