Painful hands after gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SophieCy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have searched the forum and even google with no answers..

So yesterday i was doing a set of hard gel extentions on our receptionist, towards the end of applying the gel (Last layer) on my right hand one of my fingertips under my free end of my nail started to burn a little, i ignored it as was almost finished, but suddenly on my left hand the bases of my fingers (like the V between my fingers right at the base) started to really intensley burn!! it was so painful i went and washed my hands and cold water soothed it, however the pain carried on afterwards, i had to finish quickly and thought the pain would disapper as soon as i stopped with the hard gel but it then carried on whilst using Gelish.. Once i had completely finished the pain then died down but left really red marks between my fingers and throughout the evening my skin there just felt really tight and this morning it feels like ive lost a layer of skin (Dramatic i know!) Also under my free edge of my nail there is like 2 small lines and it feels like ive glued it to my nail if that makes sense (but i havent.. No glue touched my fingers 100%)

Sorry for such a long essay but its difficult to explain and i dont want it to happen again..

Has anybody had this done to them? Or does anybody know what causes it?

I cannot remember the product name but will check in work today & update this if it makes it easier.

:)

x

Sounds like over-exposure to me, it could be the beginnings of an allergic reaction. I'd be taking anti-histamines in the short term to alleviate the effects. An overhaul of your working methods is needed to minimise your exposure to whatever is causing the issue. Simple things like wearing gloves, ensuring you don't get products on your skin, etc. Finding which product that caused the problem will be the hardest, it could be the gel, it could be hand sanitiser, or any of the other products used in your routine

It does sound like an allergic reaction. If it gets worse see your GP and ask for a referral to a dermatologist.

Latest posts

Back