Painful thumbs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey92

Reaction score
Hi geeks
Basically I'm having issues with the my thumb joints its like a constant aching, i do both hair & nails so it could be either that causing it, though i do notice it more while doing nails.
Just wondering if anyone else has sufferd with this & if it turned out to be anything or could recommend anything

I think you may well have either repetitive strain of your hands and wrists or early onset arthritis. As to which kind of arthritis your doctor would be the best person to seek help from. Carpal tunnel is also a possibility? You don't say on your avatar your age but you do a lot of treatments, really wearing on your hands and wrists.
I have osteoarthritis and my hands and wrists and thumb base particularly gives me a lot of discomfort. ( worn out bodyparts from the job !) Simple strenghtening exercises may be all thats's required hopefully. I also have wrist braces which are a godsend when I am struggling...again from my musculoskeletal dept at the hospital.
Get yourself off to the GP and look after yourself. Please keep me posted it is quite a worry I know.
I wish you well and very good luck x

I think you may well have either repetitive strain of your hands and wrists or early onset arthritis. As to which kind of arthritis your doctor would be the best person to seek help from. Carpal tunnel is also a possibility? You don't say on your avatar your age but you do a lot of treatments, really wearing on your hands and wrists.
I have osteoarthritis and my hands and wrists and thumb base particularly gives me a lot of discomfort. ( worn out bodyparts from the job !) Simple strenghtening exercises may be all thats's required hopefully. I also have wrist braces which are a godsend when I am struggling...again from my musculoskeletal dept at the hospital.
Get yourself off to the GP and look after yourself. Please keep me posted it is quite a worry I know.
I wish you well and very good luck x
Thank you for your reply, i did wonder if it was things you've suggested, i will go see my GP as the pain is becoming more regular for instance this morning & im not even at the salon yet. I'm only 27 so I'd say abit young to be suffering with this already maybe? Thank you for your kind words x

Oh agony!
As you are so young it is hopefully RSI or tendonitis which is very , very painful. Antii-inflammatories, ice ( 10 mins Several times a day ) and using a wrist brace helps to rest the wrists. It is more noticeable in the mornings as you can sleep with your hands in funny positions.
Look up De Quervains Tenosynovitis and that may be your trouble but you will need a visit to your doctor and maybe a referal to physiotherapy dept. I had it in my early 30's and it was a temporary problem.
so good luck to you xxx.

Definitely invest in some wrist braces, ones like this are the best and I found when I had pain in one of my wrists from a computer it worked wonders and I slept with it on too

IMG_4428.JPG

I have 2 and they are brilliant. Thanks scrubadub for supplying a good photo as I don't know how to do it - such a dinosaur!! Very sexy as you can see, and worn in bed overnight aswell. Nitrile gloves fit over them too.

While you are waiting for a correct diagnosis get yourself to a Jing trained massage therapist. Pain in the thumbs can be referred from forearm muscles and potentially - even tight muscles in the shoulder and neck can register as pain in the thumbs.

Advanced Clinical Massage Therapists trained by Jing have a protocol for thumb problems so look them up. Training is in Brighton and they'll help you find someone in your area.

I had a lot of pain in my hands and left thumb especially when I was holding a clients finger. My fingers would also stick in a claw shape
I think mine is tendonitis as I also had pain up my forearm and elbow.
I’ve changed my work space and now have clients arms higher and the pain has almost completely gone.
We all have clients who struggle to relax and I get the occasional niggle trying to wrestle with them so I can see [emoji849]
I’ve used the braces in the past for carpal tunnel but couldn’t get on with them at all.

I had a lot of pain in my hands and left thumb especially when I was holding a clients finger. My fingers would also stick in a claw shape
I think mine is tendonitis as I also had pain up my forearm and elbow.
I’ve changed my work space and now have clients arms higher and the pain has almost completely gone.
We all have clients who struggle to relax and I get the occasional niggle trying to wrestle with them so I can see [emoji849]
I’ve used the braces in the past for carpal tunnel but couldn’t get on with them at all.
I do find i tend toget it more when doing nails and like you say holding clients finger. Do you recommend anything for pain relief that helped with yourself

I do find i tend toget it more when doing nails and like you say holding clients finger. Do you recommend anything for pain relief that helped with yourself

I just took ibuprofen but can’t say it eased it much. Changing my workstation definitely helped

Latest posts

Back