Painless builder gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amoora

Reaction score
Hello ladies , today at school we started doing gel extensions, we have used Cuccio gel builder , and when I put my hand inside the lamp for the second layer I got such a sharp pain as if someone would put a knife through my nails.
I was wondering if this is normal? And what reason this could happen ? And if I would buy other brand would it be less painful ?

Hello ladies , today at school we started doing gel extensions, we have used Cuccio gel builder , and when I put my hand inside the lamp for the second layer I got such a sharp pain as if someone would put a knife through my nails.
I was wondering if this is normal? And what reason this could happen ? And if I would buy other brand would it be less painful ?

What you experienced is known as a heat spike, which can happen when gel has been applied too thickly. This can occur with any gel.

An exothermic reaction (heat spike) usually occurs on the first layer rather than the second, especially if applied thickly (as Noodle said) or if the natural nail plate is a bit thin/damaged/sensitive. I remember this happening a lot in college as we were taking enhancements off constantly (and probably not so carefully!) and our poor nail plates took quite a battering :confused:

You shouldn't have to put up with the pain though. Remove your hand from the lamp if it happens. Allow your nails to cool down for a few seconds, then put back in. It shouldn't happen again. There are ways of minimalising this though.

By not applying product so thick in one coat.

Flash curing for a few seconds, then removing for a few seconds, then cure properly.

Place your hand just in front of the lamp rather than inside and cure for about 30 seconds, then put hand in lamp and cure properly.

Some brands now provide lamps with a "soft cure" button that starts out on a lower heat and then gets stronger half way through (but only use one of these lamps if it matches your system. My old Cuccio lamp doesn't have this function).

Thank you ladies for your time and all the info!
I was jokingly saying , how ladies can pay money for this torture:)
I have never had done previously gel extensions only acrilics, so to me this sharp pain was a surprise

Latest posts

Back