Panic attacks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle27

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just wondered if anyone else suffers with panic attacks?

I have just gone for a new job and hopefully find out this morning if I've got it but I'm worried my panic attacks will get in the way and ruin the new job. The new salon is salon/spa so faster pace to what im in now and a lot of facials and body treatments which is great as that's what I want to have more experience in but I find that when im in a treatment room with just me and the client for say an hour to and hour and half I start getting panicky and feeling trapped like I can't get out and get some fresh air as I can't leave the client.

Does anyone else get this or am I just being really strange?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello everyone,

Just wondered if anyone else suffers with panic attacks?

I have just gone for a new job and hopefully find out this morning if I've got it but I'm worried my panic attacks will get in the way and ruin the new job. The new salon is salon/spa so faster pace to what im in now and a lot of facials and body treatments which is great as that's what I want to have more experience in but I find that when im in a treatment room with just me and the client for say an hour to and hour and half I start getting panicky and feeling trapped like I can't get out and get some fresh air as I can't leave the client.

Does anyone else get this or am I just being really strange?

Thanks in advance :)

No you are not!! I thnk its very commmon.. I had it so bad when younger (my sister has it too and my mum used to have it) but got some medication to take whenever I thought it may happen and now I never take it no more................ maybe go see your GP about it? Dont let it ruin anything for you!!!

No you are not!! I thnk its very commmon.. I had it so bad when younger (my sister has it too and my mum used to have it) but got some medication to take whenever I thought it may happen and now I never take it no more................ maybe go see your GP about it? Dont let it ruin anything for you!!!

Hi, thanks so much for replying. I have had them for 10 years now so had cbt and counselling. Not had any medication though. I'm afraid I catastrophise so always think the worst of any situation. It's such a shame but has sadly taken over my life and don't feel I can do things I used to, because of this I'm in two minds if I should take the job, provided I'm offered it of course! At the moment in in a very quiet very small salon and work on my own for the owners of the salon so because of this my panic attacks are very low but I'm bored and want to move on for other reasons.

Hi, thanks so much for replying. I have had them for 10 years now so had cbt and counselling. Not had any medication though. I'm afraid I catastrophise so always think the worst of any situation. It's such a shame but has sadly taken over my life and don't feel I can do things I used to, because of this I'm in two minds if I should take the job, provided I'm offered it of course! At the moment in in a very quiet very small salon and work on my own for the owners of the salon so because of this my panic attacks are very low but I'm bored and want to move on for other reasons.

I think you should try the medication. That way you can take a pill when you have a day you feel very anxious or before a treatment that you feel anxious about? They really help and they dont have nasty side effects. They are not antidepressants or anything that you need to take every day, just occasionally when you feel the need to. This way you can take the job and still be in control of the situation. Dont be held back by this, dont let it rule your life. Also you should work on changing your way of thinking!!! Try positive affirmations that you repeat every day, thats a start at least.

My partner suffers from them, though he's a lot better than he used to be. It started when he had sunstroke and then we were in a restaurant, he felt sick and ill and had to go home. Then it turned into a mild agoraphobia, he didn't want to be seen with people in case it happened again (he is very shy at the best of times). He went to the doctor and was referred for counselling but as he's a bloke, didn't go (aarghh!). The doctor also asked him to keep a record which I did (because he didn't bother) and gradually it got better of its own accord. It helped all his friends were aware and didn't push him, though I do think he didn't help himself and should have gone down the counselling route, but believe me, it was hard enough getting him to the doctor. Men eh?
Please do go and get help, they can be debilitating xxx

Thank you all so much for replying.

I've had them for 10 years now and they are absolutely debilitating. My husband and I haven't had a holiday in years, it has effected my confidence and friendships.
I'm always worse when I'm hormonal which is annoying but anything can trigger it really. I am going to make an appointment at the doctors next week and see if they will give me some medication. I've had the cbt and counselling so I'm not really sure what else I can do apart from the medication route which the docs have always been reluctant to give me.

Anyway thanks again, it helps to know I'm not the only one

Thank you all so much for replying.

I've had them for 10 years now and they are absolutely debilitating. My husband and I haven't had a holiday in years, it has effected my confidence and friendships.
I'm always worse when I'm hormonal which is annoying but anything can trigger it really. I am going to make an appointment at the doctors next week and see if they will give me some medication. I've had the cbt and counselling so I'm not really sure what else I can do apart from the medication route which the docs have always been reluctant to give me.

Anyway thanks again, it helps to know I'm not the only one

Hi Danielle
good luck! strange they've been so reluctant Ive never had that! they have always handed me the medication (and my sister too) I just say I need it for emergencies which is exactly the case.. now I hardly EVER take them, haven't for a year and a half at least as I dont need it now.. I think just knowing you have them helps already!

Hi Danielle
good luck! strange they've been so reluctant Ive never had that! they have always handed me the medication (and my sister too) I just say I need it for emergencies which is exactly the case.. now I hardly EVER take them, haven't for a year and a half at least as I dont need it now.. I think just knowing you have them helps already!

Hi, thank you. I've booked an appointment at the doctors for next week. I'm glad to hear both you and your sister are better now, I hope I will be like that one day

I can sympathise! I used to suffer from panic attacks but when my circumstances changed they went away on their own. I think the medication is a good idea. I found that knowing I've taken a tablet made me feel calmer in itself, because I wasn't on edge waiting for one to happen as much. My dad also suffered terribly with them and he raved about one counsellor he met who talked him through a relaxation technique - the one where you focus on relaxing each muscle one by one from head to toe. He would never stand for anything "airy fairy" and was very cynical of doctors and hospitals but he said that really did work for him. Maybe it's worth a try? He had it on a tape. Good luck :)

I can sympathise! I used to suffer from panic attacks but when my circumstances changed they went away on their own. I think the medication is a good idea. I found that knowing I've taken a tablet made me feel calmer in itself, because I wasn't on edge waiting for one to happen as much. My dad also suffered terribly with them and he raved about one counsellor he met who talked him through a relaxation technique - the one where you focus on relaxing each muscle one by one from head to toe. He would never stand for anything "airy fairy" and was very cynical of doctors and hospitals but he said that really did work for him. Maybe it's worth a try? He had it on a tape. Good luck :)

Hi, thanks for replying. I too have some relaxing techniques, I have had lots of support and treatment but still feel I can't cope with them sometimes. I will look online for a cd to relax me, that may help.
Hopefully I'll get some help at the doctors next week. They are bad again at the mo as I'm hormonal and a bit stressed about deciding if I should take the new job.

Thanks again

I've had panic attacks for years, went for counseling, helped a lot. We get anxious because we are not sure we are making the right decisions, like taking a new job or doing a service on a new client. Mine was also lack of self confidence which with many years in the beauty business, I still get panicky, getting better but it takes work on yourself.
Good luck to you, hope the DR can help..;)

Hi, the doctor prescribed me beta blockers for my panic attacks, it stops the adrenline rush that contributes towards the attack so makes u feel calmer. They are quite safe to use and side effects are not common.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey Hun
What kinds of attacks do you have? When I get them I can't breath and start panting choking trying to get air it's alot like a bad asthma attack( they thought I had asthma for ages) a coping method I got told to use was to name everything in the room I was in obviously if you're with a client don't do it out loud but consciously look around and name everything in your head the idea is that you're completely focused on something else and you calm down without realising it. Hope you manage to get it sorted! Fingers crossed the doctor helps you xx

its a terrible thing and I fully sympathies with those that suffer from this ....my son has severe attacks and it certainly does effect his life...thank goodness as he is now getting older he is able to deal with it far better :Love:

as for me the only time I suffer from severe anxiety attacks is when I cant find the cork screw ....which is quiet often :wink2::eek::lol::lol::Kissing:

I have once in a while especially when with new clients or sometimes when I lack confident in a particular aspect of my job. I use to find having herbal tea especially camomile tea to be a calming for my panic attacks if you don't like camomile try other ranges of Herbal tea to help. Also Aromatherapy massage is brilliant when the right blends are used to help with your symptom's it worth a try :)

Hi,

Thank you everyone who has replied and shared your thoughts and experiences, it helps to know other people have or are going through this and not alone. I will let you know how things go at the docs :)

I start having the more frequently now. I had one before applying came and I had to get my husband to turn my client away. Needless to say I never saw the client again. I wish I could tell them I'm having panic attacks because you think that they would be a little more understanding.

Stress can cause panic attack so if your job is stressful I don't think you're going to get away from them. If you can find a less stressful job you probably won't suffer from them half as much.

I suffer from them as well as depression & I have been on medication for 11 yrs. I've been having really bad attacks for the last few days & I take propranolol when I have these bad attacks.

I also take Propranolol - I've had them prescribed to me ranging from 10 - 40 mg depending how bad I've got. They are a great little tablets.

I am also on Citalopram for daily use. Medication isn't for everyone so I appreciate every one else's thoughts and feelings. However for me I just wanted the feeling to go away so I could be 'normal' again. The medication definitely helps that.

I also take propranolo but I find I'm needing it less and less since I had hypnotherapy. 😊

Latest posts

Back