Panicking-think I've missed important things

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyNerds

Reaction score
I feel like I'm missing some things here...
I set my own beauty business being mobile on 1st July last year, I then got the opportunity to be above a hairdressers at the beginning of December.
A few things have caught my eye about licensing!!!
Iv just seen something about client details having a license to handle them and treatment licence??

I'm very worried Iv been very stupid and missed a few things.
I'm fully insured with ABT. And I only work on a self employed basis by myself. I'm registered and pay my NI.
The treatments I offer are:
Manicure/pedicure
Spray tanning
Waxing
Lashes
Tinting
Nail enhancements

I get all my clients to fill out consultation forms which are very thorough and I keep them all in a lockable filing cabinet which only I have the key for.

Am I missing anything??
I'm really worried now Iv been totally naive!!

Please help

Thank you xx

I took over my MIL salon 2 years ago and was completely unaware of licences required. Sadly she passed away and was unable to inform me, it wasn't until I was going through her accounts and had seen cheques for them that I was aware they were needed.

You need a music licence if you're playing music during treatments. You might not need it, but I would check with your council about a massage licence.

Call your local Trading Standards department, they should be able to advise you.

Good luck xxx

Thank you for your reply.

I don't play any music and I don't offer any massage bar your hand and foot massage in your manicure and pedicure. Which isn't anything major.

It's so complicated!

I keep coming across things in seeing and it's setting me into panic mode! Could citizens advice help?

I'm trained in ear piercing but I do not offer it as a treatment as I know I need a licence, I found out they come and inspect your premises. Iv not had enough people asking me for it to justify a license cost so for now it's kept away. Xxxx

Bumping it up...

I've just been looking at the same I'm not sure if it's right but it said manicures come under the massage licence x

Oh no really??

I feel like Iv been totally naive about it all!

Yeah that's what I seen, but manicure just seems to stick out on that list as you can understand the reasoning for the others. I'm struggling to find the information on it all as I'm looking at renting 2-3 rooms xx

I know what you mean.
I'm already renting 3 rooms with a bathroom offering the treatments listed above. I have been since beginning of December. I'm going to go into my council when I have finished work and just say what do I need??
You don't get told about anything like this in your training xxx

My understanding is if you keep any client information electronically, for example use their email address for promotions or hold a database you must register with the Information Commissioner, ico.org.uk it is a bit of a grey area as I've heard conflicting views about whether you have to register if you only keep paper records but for the sake of the annual fee of (am I allowed to say as its not exclusive to this industry?) £35 I think its worth covering yourself. There is an online assessment on their website to decide if you need to do it x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

My understanding is if you keep any client information electronically, for example use their email address for promotions or hold a database you must register with the Information Commissioner, ico.org.uk it is a bit of a grey area as I've heard conflicting views about whether you have to register if you only keep paper records but for the sake of the annual fee of (am I allowed to say as its not exclusive to this industry?) £35 I think its worth covering yourself. There is an online assessment on their website to decide if you need to do it x

Thank you!

I hold paper records and I keep my clients names/DOB/start date with me/email and phone number on there

I use it for sending a text message for monthly offers and when they have been with me for a year a birthday voucher.

I'd imagine I would going off what you have said.

It's scary, you don't realise what you need. The internet bombards with you stuff that isn't irrelevant or you can't find the information you actually need.

In college I never got any information about this side of the industry they only mentioned insurance. Xx

Iv just done the questionnaire and I'm not needed to register but I can voluntarily. That's a bit confusing :/

Well I went to my council today (Chorley) and I found a really nice lady who told me I didn't need anything bar qualifications and insurance :)
I only needed a licence for ear piercing, acupuncture and tattooing.

I feel so much better now, if in doubt double check :)

Its good you checked everything, good luck with it all x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

The only license I ever heard of was for piercing the skin
I remember something about bloody wax strips needing to be disposed of separately and collected by the council I think...
I could be wrong.... would this apply if your mobile ?
Im also feeling like there are a million little more things I need to sort out at the min...

Latest posts

Back