Panorama tonight, child protection online, did anyone see it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
We've just finished watching BBC1's Panorama tonight, it was all about child protection online.

It was a fantastic insight as to how 'people' groom youngsters into thinking they're someone they're not etc.

Some of it was a bit disturbing, but I made sure my 14 year old daughter watched it, I think she was a bit surprised at some of it to be honest... I saw her eyebrows rise a few times!!!

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama | One Click from Danger

Child Exploitation & Online Protection Centre - internet safety - CEOP

wow sandi, i didnt see it, but just had a quick look at that link, very disturbing indeed, i remember last year toms neice went missing for 3 days, police found stuff on her pc, turns out she'd gone to meet someone who she met in a chatroom, (she was 14 at the time) now luckily he really was only 15 as he said, and no harm came of it, but i often think what if

think ill try and get my 14 yr old lad to watch it too, wouldnt hurt for him to be aware too

thanks for the link hun xxxxxx

I watched it Sandi, and it was very scarey, there is no way that my 10 year old is getting internet access in her room now.

I saw it. Bloody sick people about. xxx

When I got a new computer we decided to let our children share my old one, we 'nearly' let our son have it in his bedroom but changed our minds and it's in the living room in full view, I'm glad we made that decision.

We had quite a chat about it while the programme was finishing, I asked my daughter if she'd ever met her friend's cousin's friend in real life, she said no, I asked her how she knew it was really a 14 yr old girl?
She couldn't answer me!

She has a Bebo site, a while back I happened to go and have a look at it while she was on her site, she clicked on her friend's list and there were people on there who she'd accepted and didn't have a clue who they were, as you can imagine I went a tad overboard and deleted a load of them... along with having a MEGA CHAT with her about internet safety... I suppose the question is, how much do we really know about what our children do on the internet?

Scary stuff!

yeah we gave our son our old pc for his room, so he's up in the loft room with it, but after a few probs of being on it late late at night (it was friends that we knew that he was chatting to on msn) we took the internet connection away, so he can only use it for homework, if he wants the net he has to use the one downstairs or my lappy, and now im glad after reading that

thanks again for highlighting it Sandi:hug:

its certainly food for thought
xxxx

didnt see it sandi
but this sort of thing upsets me so much, what is the world coming to?

i didn't see it but thanks for sharing

my little brother is nearly 12 and he got a pc for his 11th birthday

my mum has it in the lounge where she can monitor exactly what he is doing, it will not be going into his bedroom

i,m gutted, i wanted to record it so i could watch it with 13 year old daughter but got caught up on getting school stuff ready for the kids and forgot, i hope it'l be on again :irked:

I watched it as well Sandi!

Some people don't believe that this stuff really goes on BUT IT DOES!

All I can say is for you all to keep your "babies" safe - the emotional damage this sort of thing causes can never ever be repaired!

Paul being a computer engineer has made it a lot easier for us to be controlling paranoid parents, our computers were always networked, and Paul's was always the master, so he could have a look at what was going on anytime, Have to say I've always told the kids that I think the world is full of perverts and it was my job to make sure that they were safe, but the kids have also always known that anything I have seen found that was meant to be private or personal has not been talked about, our kids have to be able to trust us to trust them.

i watched it and was quite shocked to see how many kids at the age of 11/12 have internet access in their bedrooms.i dont really like the idea of some of these websites.i couldnt believe the fact that some of them for age for even as young as 6 years old.im only 23 and dont have any children but what on earth is wrong with people.why do so many let their kids use the internet and dont question or look at what there doing. eg. putting there own personal details on their profile and talking to god knows who.i just hope that it got through to people to make them realise how easy it is for perverts to pray on young children

I didn't see the program sadly. I have all boys which makes me feel a little bit better but non the less, all there msn conversations are kept in the history and they all know, even my twins, that I will read them if and when I feel I need to. I also check their general history and temp files, check it all against the cookies etc to see where they are going online.

Here's one for you though. My friends 11, almost 12 yr old daughter accidently mails me all the time with chain emails etc. I had to mail my friend over the weekend when I got one from her child letting all her friends know the code she had come up with for when 'annoying' parents read conversations over their shoulders. She was telling them to type 9 when a parent came in signalling a stop to the current topic and 99 when they have gone. My friend was stunned but she is at least wise to it now and we have agreed to say nothing as her daughter mails me mistakenly so often at least there is that way of keeping a tab of sorts on her as well as her mother checking up.

The tonight with trevor macdonald was just as disturbing - 'to catch a predator'

Made me so angry.

They covered the very same subject on today's This Morning ... very disturbing.

i watched it sandi and it made me sit there like this :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:....i have 3 children...son 14 laptop in bedroom...step son 12 laptop in bedroom...daughter nearly 12 who wants laptop in bedroom...i think its up to the parent if they have it in there bedroom...my hubby checks there laptops every 2 weeks...see if any rude stuff has been looked at...see who they are chatting to....so we do what they said do...my children know ....they NEVER talk to strangers...if we have family secret...they keep it between us...thats how i have brought them up...when my daughter has a laptop i will check hers once a week i think...x

i missed the trevor mcdonald programme and this morning but im sure they were just as disturbing,sadly

Yes I saw it too, at least I think it was the programme you're talking about, the one I saw had excerpts from an American tv show where they catch the 'groomers' in the act, and some guy (who used to be a priest - don't get me started on that one!!) who was caught, released and the same afternoon caught again in an internet cafe talking to (what he thought) was a 15 year old girl.

I don't have kids, but if I did I would be scared stiff of letting them loose on the internet and would probably be sitting on their shoulder watching everything they typed!!!

Sean was watching it too and thought they should show things like this in schools to try to warn the kids what could happen, but I think some of them just have the attitude that it couldn't happen to them, and think that they're 'canny' enough to know the difference between a pervert and a real 'boy'. Also, I think a lot of young girls are flattered by the attentions of an 'older' man, makes them feel more mature and so don't think about the consequences.

It's certainly a scary world we live in these days, and I don't envy you people out there with kids to protect from these monsters.

We've just finished watching BBC1's Panorama tonight, it was all about child protection online.

It was a fantastic insight as to how 'people' groom youngsters into thinking they're someone they're not etc.

Some of it was a bit disturbing, but I made sure my 14 year old daughter watched it, I think she was a bit surprised at some of it to be honest... I saw her eyebrows rise a few times!!!

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Panorama | One Click from Danger

Child Exploitation & Online Protection Centre - internet safety - CEOP

I watched this too and also let my 15 year old, she started by defending these sites and as the programme went on you could see the realization kicking in.

Obviously as a parent, me wanting to check what shes been up to means that I'm checking up on her and don't trust her :rolleyes: but think she gets it now.

I'm just grateful in that respect that we haven't been able to get online much.

Teri x:hug:

Sean was watching it too and thought they should show things like this in schools to try to warn the kids what could happen
The CEOP (link on page 1) go to schools around the UK making children aware of the dangers, it's a really good idea IMO, they showed some film of them talking to a class of children and showing them a video tape, quite a few of the children had shocked looks on their faces.

Latest posts

Back