Parabens in Cosmetics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use paraben, sls and alcohol free products in the spray tan i use, the make up and all body and hair products i use also. Come to think of it, i dont use many products that aren't chemical free.

My outlook is that we should understand what we are putting on our skin, we should understand and read ingredients labels. All i know that since switching to chemical free products i feel and look better and find them much more effective that most well known big brands that are packed full of cheap and nasty chemicals.

Why use parabens as perservatives when their are natural alternatives??

US FDA/CFSAN - Parabens

This exert from Are Parabens Safe? may be of interest:
"Some cosmetic manufacturers are using alternatives to parabens; so one can look for those. For example, high concentrations of astringent alcohols are used as preservatives even though this is very drying for the skin. Other manufacturers have turned to “natural preservatives”. Most of these are irritants to a substantial number of people.

The allergenic properties of most natural preservatives actually explain why parabens were ever developed in the first place. Other manufacturers have taken the approach of eliminating preservatives entirely. In my personal opinion, this is both risky and costly to consumers.

Parabens and other preservatives are antimicrobial, meaning they prevent the growth and reproduction of bacteria, molds, and fungi. They keep products safe for repeated consumption. Without preservatives in your products, you run the risk of contracting bacterial illnesses or suffering allergic reactions to the molds and fungi.

To reduce the risks of preservative-free products, consumers would need to use them more quickly, throw out quite a bit of what they buy, refrigerate just about everything and/or buy in smaller quantities. Shopping and monitoring the age of your consumable goods would be a real challenge.?"

I've also discovered that methylparaben can be included in "natural" products as it can come from the blueberry shrub (although all comercial parabens are synthetically produced even though they are made to mimic those in nature).

I use paraben, sls and alcohol free products in the spray tan i use, the make up and all body and hair products i use also. Come to think of it, i dont use many products that aren't chemical free.

My outlook is that we should understand what we are putting on our skin, we should understand and read ingredients labels. All i know that since switching to chemical free products i feel and look better and find them much more effective that most well known big brands that are packed full of cheap and nasty chemicals.

I hate to tell you but Vani-T (which I use and feel is completely safe) has Methylparaben and propylparaben in it.

Also this reveals a little about what can be in some mineral make-up:The Lowdown on Mineral Makeup

I hate to tell you but Vani-T (which I use and feel is completely safe) has Methylparaben and propylparaben in it.

Also this reveals a little about what can be in some mineral make-up:The Lowdown on Mineral Makeup

Actually Liquid Sun By Vani-T no longer contains any parabens at all, they have replaced these with natural perservatives now - only recently. :green: Check with them by phoning 1300 780 340 or emailing [email protected]

I really think that you should read the post made by Doug Schoon above about the term "chemical". If you are telling your clients that your products are chemical free then not only are you misleading them, but also making yourself look uneducated to those who understand the definition of the word chemical. Not all natural ingredients are safe either. It's good to be aware of potential dangers, but don't let misinformation and poor terminology scare people.

Just a thought!

Actually Liquid Sun By Vani-T no longer contains any parabens at all, they have replaced these with natural perservatives now - only recently. :green: Check with them by phoning 1300 780 340 or emailing [email protected]

Interesting this obviously hasn't happened in the U.K unless they have sold me old stock as I just brought some and it's on the ingredient list. :eek:

Has the price risen?
Does it have a shorter shelf life?
Please can you read the ingredients on the bottle and tell me what the replacement preservatives are, this is very interesting, thanks x

I really think that you should read the post made by Doug Schoon above about the term "chemical". If you are telling your clients that your products are chemical free then not only are you misleading them, but also making yourself look uneducated to those who understand the definition of the word chemical. Not all natural ingredients are safe either. It's good to be aware of potential dangers, but don't let misinformation and poor terminology scare people.

Just a thought!

Well i shouldnt have used the term chemical free as thats not what i tell my clients, i explain that the products i use are all natural or natural based and dont contain any known irritants and nasties such as these...

https://www.mionegroup.com/toxic :green:

I mean you really have no idea exactly what products i use and their exact ingredients so how can you really comment?

I am also well aware that not all natural ingredients are safe and that they can certainly still cause irritations etc.

Interesting this obviously hasn't happened in the U.K unless they have sold me old stock as I just brought some and it's on the ingredient list. :eek:

Has the price risen?
Does it have a shorter shelf life?
Please can you read the ingredients on the bottle and tell me what the replacement preservatives are, this is very interesting, thanks x

It is only a very, very recent change so im not sure about the solution you have there but parabens have been replaced with Suttocide A (perservative from amino acids) and Phenoxyethanol (perservative from Sage essential oil) If you email Vani-T in Australia they can provide with a copy of the updated ingredients :green:

Oh sorry and price in AUS is the same and shelf life is still 12 months MAX once opened as before

In regards to the story on mineral make up Krush does not contain Bismuth oxychloride. I am aware there are mineral make ups on the market that are not true mineral make up (ie -Loreal) - which should be free of talcs etc.

I use Krush Mineral make up...

100% minerals in purest form - no harsh chemical additives
Concealer, foundation, powder & natural sunscreen, all in one!
Light refractive quality that diminishes the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, freckles & pigmentation
Weightless with long lasting coverage
Hypo-allergenic & anti-inflammatory - perfect for skin sensitivities, allergies, acne, scars, blemishes, & rosacea
Non-comedogenic & oil free so it won't clog pores
Anti-ageing
Mineral cosmetics are recommended by leading dermatologists, cosmetic surgeons & beauticians

Latest posts

Back