Paranoid

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnails

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just need some reassurance..feeling really deflated and paranoid.

I do one ladies nails every week for alternate infills/colour changes on her acrylics. I have been doing her nails now for about 6 months and she has always said she loves how I do her nails.

Last Friday she came to me and said they are getting a bit long and asked for them taking down. Which I did, checking with her during the process that the length was ok..she had an infill with gel polish and Swarovski's and they looked lovely. She seemed very pleased with them said how much she liked the colour etc..

WELL I got a text off her the same night saying 'Are you busy tomorrow?
Im really not happy with these nails today, very mis- shapen and i hate the length. Wish id have had the new set done.' I'm constantly telling her she needs a new set as she has had these on for 6 months now with a couple of replacements here and there! The problem is if she loses one or one lifts at all she glues it back on with superglue no matter how many times I tell her not to which then creates greenies! I have managed to replace these nails to cleanse the bacteria however there is still some staining left! By the way..these nails weren't mis shapen at all!! (I have pictures but can't seem to load off my phone I'll do it on PC later) she's very OCD and I honestly think she was using it as an excuse because she hated the length - which she did ask me to take down for her and never mentioned at the appointment!

ANYWAY...(really sorry for the long story!!) she finally agreed to book in for a new set which was supposed to be today but I had to cancel due to illness..currently laid up in bed not being able to rest with paranoia!! And she has text me saying they are a mess and she might have to go somwhere else!!
She only had them done last Friday they won't actually be a mess, her idea of a mess is very different to most peoples. But I like that most of the time because it encourages me to be a perfectionist however this time she's just made me feel like I'm not very good at all and she's not happy with my work. I said I can do a full new set beginning of next week for her but she can't possibly wait until then.

the reason I'm paranoid is I use Artistic Rock Hard Acrylic and most people in my area aren't familiar with this product..it doesn't soak off! I've done the training with louella belle/artistic and it's not meant to soak off..it can be filed right down and acetone softens it a bit but it's not like other brands. Now if she goes somewhere else and they find it's a pain to soak off they will think I'm using MMA!! Plus I know shes likely to have a new green nail as she's told me she has superglued one down! I don't want this new therapist to think I'm not good at what I do because of what they see. They won't understand how she is as a client until they see her every week! I know I should be more forceful with her it's probably my own fault :( but I'm so worried my reputation gets damaged now. I've never had any problems with other clients and I have a lot :(

Sorry again that it's long..just looking for a little advice :(

You poor thing, I really feel for you. Firstly, breeeeeaaathe :)

As a perfectionist myself I know how much something like this can knock you but rest assured that it might be for the best. Try to look at it in a positive way and thing that if she has gone elsewhere then she is no longer your problem. I know losing clients to competition is not good but in this case I'd feel glad if she did. The reason I say this is that, if you know you're work is good and all of your other clients are happy then don't worry too much about her 'damaging' your reputation. At the end of the day you have consistently told her about the risk she is putting herself under every time she super glues the nail down and she doesn't listen so it seems she doesn't value your expertise enough. Let her go, if she causes herself an infection then at least she won't be blaming you.

Chin up :hugs:

You poor thing, I really feel for you. Firstly, breeeeeaaathe :)

THANK YOU! Just what I needed to hear :) been complaining to my OH and he doesn't understand at all just says don't worry all the time lol. I just can't help but worry! Id hate to think another nail tech thought I was rubbish! I'm just concerned about when they go to remove the old enhancements...xx

:hug: You're not well and have too much time to pick this over. You need to stop stressing, you will slow down your recovery.

If she wants to go somewhere else you can't stop her, just text her back saying 'you're sad to hear she is so unhappy but if she really feels she needs to go elsewhere then please tell the tech they are hard gel and cannot be soaked off, they need to be buffed'

The new tech will soon realise what hard work she can be if she is as picky with them as she is during your appointments with her so don't worry.

Just concentrate on getting well

If she wants to go somewhere else you can't stop her, just text her back saying 'you're sad to hear she is so unhappy but if she really feels she needs to go elsewhere then please tell the tech they are hard gel and cannot be soaked off, they need to be buffed'

This is great advice. I'd definitely text this back.

If you lose the client take the positives from it. You now know that next time you get a client who glues nails down and creates greenies, who doesn't want to have a new set when you know she needs to- you'll be more confident to say, no this is what we need to do and you won't budge- yes you may lose a new client being forthright but it's your professionalism you're protecting, equally you could gain a regular by hitting her with your smarts :)

As for worrying about what another tech thinks, really please don't lovely. I've had several people sit at my table and say things about other techs, I listen, sympathise, nod and move on. I don't give it another thought. I've also had people slate enhancements ("they've ruined my nails" etc) so I kindly ask them how they were removed and guess what? They prised them off. A quick re education session and we move on. I could easily Shellac a client, a nail lifts because she's not followed aftercare (maybe she used cleaning products) and brands me incompetent, through no fault of my own, to another tech- seriously lovely what can I do?

Look after yourself honey, no point stressing. You've done all that you can and you need to get better.

Chin up ducks xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know how you are feeling as I am a perfectionist too and can always pick over appts IF I allow myself to. I am slowly learning to let go - as long as I have given the client what they have asked for. I always check at the end of the appt that they are happy with what I've done. After that it is their responsibility to take care of their nails. Sounds like you have done everything you can for this lady. Let it go. Her new tech will quickly realise what you were having to deal with! Get well soon x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Aww, give yourself a break. I've ripped myself to shreds over much less problematic clients!

In all honestly, I think I'd let her go.

Yes there's a risk she'll go and moan about you to someone else and yes they might be a bit :eek: when they see whats underneath... after a couple of appointments with her themselves though they'll soon see why so fear not!

She won't change, so relax, feel relieved that she might not be your problem anymore, concentrate on your lovely clients, and follow your instincts and be strong when you know doing something isn't right!

In all honesty though, it's easy to say when you're not the one going through it and I can say that if I were you, I'd probably have shed a few tears so I do know how you feel, but it's not me and looking from the outside, I can tell you objectively, be strong, be relieved, get better (from being poorly I mean, not at nails!), and don't give her another thought! xxx

Thank you all so much, really good advice and I feel much better now knowing others can relate too!
I'm definitely going to text back with what was suggested :)
Good luck to the other tech lol

Thanks again everyone :) xxx

You never know, in a couple of months there may be a similar post to yours from a really stressed out nail tech who has this problem client, and what can she do?! Chin up, don't let the beggars get you down, :)
Hope you feel better soon x

UPDATE!

Had a text from client Sunday asking for her regular appointment to be kept...but she has now text me 2 hours before her appointment saying she's not been paid but is desperate for this new set so can I do her nails today and she will drop the money off tomorrow? I don't know what to do! Do any of you do this for clients?

UPDATE!

Had a text from client Sunday asking for her regular appointment to be kept...but she has now text me 2 hours before her appointment saying she's not been paid but is desperate for this new set so can I do her nails today and she will drop the money off tomorrow? I don't know what to do! Do any of you do this for clients?

No don't do it! Your opening the door to a hell of trouble! No money no job simple Hun. Don't bend it for anyone cos you will have to bend it for everyone

NO!

Text her back and politely say you can reschedule her appointment to after her payday.

You already know she is capable of saying her nails are a mess a few days after they have been done, and when they are not a mess, its not a large step from there to her saying....I'm not paying they are a mess!

UPDATE!

She could pay by cheque, therefore entering into a contract to pay or pay by B / Card then it won't come out till the end of the month.
Or she could leave her Wedding ring with you & pick it up when she leaves the money the next day.

Have had someone ask me this AFTER I did their hair so I took them to the cashpoint just down the road as I needed to get some milk!!!!!

Last edited:
I've had two of these clients, who turn up and tell me they've forgotten their purse and I've never met them before. I Firstly figure out how much money I'm going to physically lose from product. If you can't fit another client in immediately then you have no money anyway, no different to a cancellation. I have their name and addresses, doesn't mean to say they are genuine though. I've taken the chance on both of my clients, both paid and I'm charging £80 each for my time. These clients are now regular and thank me kindly for understanding and showing an element of trust. However, I appreciate it may not always work out like that but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt in most cases but I'm not offering nails.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone! I didn't think of a cheque. She would have probably had an excuse about that though.
I've rearranged her, luckily I have a space on Saturday so it's not too long for her to wait. She did this once when I was working at the salon and she didn't turn up with the money for quite a few days so although she did pay it was late and I can't risk that..especially so soon after the last situation with her!

Latest posts

Back