Paris for the day

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
Paris has never interested me, so I have never been. But recently I have been thinking about taking a day trip on the Eurostar, whilst we are in London. It takes a little over 2 hours from St Pancras, so no hassle with extra travelling, no luggage and no need to find a hotel is appealing to me. I really wouldn't bother to do it any other way.

Anyway, to get to the point. For those that have been, what do you remember the most about your trip? Did the normal tourist traps live up to the hype, or did they disappoint? Would you go back, or was it awful?

I lived there for 6 months. It's lovely. In a whirlwind trip though I'd stick to the big touristy things and some lush food X

Paris has never interested you?! What??!! It's an amazing place and has everything. I always wanted to go there from a young age and it didn't disappoint at all. I really wouldn't know what to recommend for one day, would you not at least stay overnight? Something that I did really enjoy was a walking tour, it lasted around 4 hours and was free (we tipped the guide at the end) and we saw a lot of amazing sights as well as learing a lot of history.

If you can stretch to an extra day, it'll give you extra time to choose a fab French cafe, sit outside with a choux bun and a cafe au lait and watch the world go by.

My husband and I did this once on a trip for my birthday and it was the most relaxing couple of hours I've ever spent!! I'll never forget it :)

Paris is beautiful and full of historic buildings - you'll love it x

Its a great idea. I try each year to convince friends/family to take a trip to Barcelona for the day around Christmas. Its cheaper for a day return flight than a single to London from mine. No one will go :( xoxo

Its a great idea. I try each year to convince friends/family to take a trip to Barcelona for the day around Christmas. Its cheaper for a day return flight than a single to London from mine. No one will go :( xoxo

I'll go! I love Barcelona!

I lived in Paris for a few years. If you've never been then I guess you have to do the touristy things :) Although I would avoid the Eiffel Tower unless you've always dreamed of going, its too busy, enormous queues to go up. The Sacré Coeur is a must-see and the whole Montmatre area is lovely.

My off-the-beaten-track recommendation would be Cour St Emillion on the metro line 14, love to wander up and down and have lunch there. Also I wouldn't miss a trip to Galeries Lafayette just to admire the fabulous domed ceiling and the lush decor!

If you fancy some pampering there's some fab places too. The Dior spa in the Plaza Athenee hotel looks amazing if you're wanting to splash out or La Sultane de Saba spa which is pretty reasonable and their Moroccan product line is gorgeous!

Funny how when I left I thought I'd never want to go back, too big, too busy, too dirty! But now when I visit I enjoy Paris so much more :) Hope you have a nice trip x Air x

I would recommend seeing the touristy sights - Notre dame, Eiffel tower (you don't have to go to the top if you are short of time - the queues are always long, maybe taking a sightseeing boat trip on river Seine.

I went last year and loved it! Although it rained the entire time. We queued for the Eiffel Tower for over two hours so not ideal if just going for the day. I stayed in Montmartre and it was a lovely area. Loved Notre dame and champs élysées too. It's a lovely city xx

I'll go with you tomme! Xx

Seriously, I've never had the urge to go and I am only doing it as something different to do! It will not ever be more than a day trip unless of course I feel differently when I do this and make a plan to return.
We might just do a tour then and try and take it in that way. A spa would be lovely, but maybe better suited to somewhere else on a much longer trip. Although I never really find the time to do anything like that when I'm away.

Tomme, I absolutely love Barcelona and there is an option for another trip there in April, but I really don't know if I can handle staying anywhere else other than the beautiful but way too expensive hotel that we had last time. :rolleyes:

We went to paris for 2days in september last year. I would definitely say you would need more than a day to do the touristy things and enjoy your time. We spent the 2 days rushing round everywhere to make sure we fitted it all in. We were shattered by the end of the first day and fell asleep at 7! If you are just visiting a few things though im sure a day would be fine.

Although i would bare in mind that the eurostar does only take 2 hours but there can be delays, it took us 4 hours to get there on the eurostar because the train couldn't go full speed for the majority of the journey due to the weather :( hth x

Latest posts

Back