Paronychia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boots

Reaction score
Hope someone can help, I started my college course back in March and ended up with paronychia in my little finger, my nail is lifting now and will soon fall off (only about 1/4 left attached). There seems to be no nail growing back, am I going to lose this nail and never have another one? If this is the case what can I do about it.

Thanks

Boots said:
Hope someone can help, I started my college course back in March and ended up with paronychia in my little finger, my nail is lifting now and will soon fall off (only about 1/4 left attached). There seems to be no nail growing back, am I going to lose this nail and never have another one? If this is the case what can I do about it.

Thanks
Go to your Doctors...they will advise...get wellsoon

Hiya,
Has Fab Freak has put it is best to see your g.p for advice.
But after a chronic case of paronychia , It can sometimes take up to a year for the nail to grow back.

Are you sure you dont mean Onycholysis? Paronychia is a bacterial infection of the nail folds. Onycholysis is seperation of the nail plate from the nail bed.

Just checkin ;)

The Nail Geek said:
Are you sure you dont mean Onycholysis? Paronychia is a bacterial infection of the nail folds. Onycholysis is seperation of the nail plate from the nail bed.

Just checkin ;)

Hi Sam,
Found this about Paronychia
In acute paronychia, spread of infection to the undersurface of the nail plate can cause onycholysis and temporary loss of the nail plate. With resolution of infection, nails usually grow back normally unless permanent damage has occurred to the nail matrix.
So we are both right :)

sure, but the primary symptom of paronychia is red, swollen, and painful folds. Onycholysis is a symptom of serious paronychia. I only asked as she didnt mention the primary symptoms... I was just making sure she was sure that it was paronychia. If it is... then as everyone mentioned... go to a derm asap. It shouldnt be overly difficult to get rid of. :D

Thanks for your help, it was Paronychia (lots of puss - yuck!!!!) Doctor gave me antibiotics but he didnt mention that I may lose the nail plate (My manicure course notes do not mention loss of nail plate either). The infection went a while ago but just trying to deal with the loss of the nail. I will go back and see him asap. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back