Parrafin Wax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teena_B

Reaction score
When I did my make-up course, in the manicure lessons, the teacher had a bit of extra time so demonstrated a paraffin wax manicure. I loved the idea of this, bought some, and had a go on my husband. He was a good boy, especially when we realised that the wax wouldn't come off without taking his hairs off with it! I haven't even looked at my wax since, but would like to offer it. Can someone explain why this happened? I haven't got a proper wax heater, so I melted it in a bowl over hot water until it was melted, then didn't put it on until it was a comfortable heat. If I know why this happened I will buy a proper heater before doing this on Joe public.

The tutor told us we could use creams/lotions before or after, I was gonna do it after on hubby. Is this maybe why it stuck to the hairs? I don't wanna do this to a client!!!

Thanks in advance for help!:biggrin:

Before you apply the wax you need to put hand cream or something like that on first otherwise as you probably found out will take a while to prize off.

Sammie

Teena_B said:
When I did my make-up course, in the manicure lessons, the teacher had a bit of extra time so demonstrated a paraffin wax manicure. I loved the idea of this, bought some, and had a go on my husband. He was a good boy, especially when we realised that the wax wouldn't come off without taking his hairs off with it! I haven't even looked at my wax since, but would like to offer it. Can someone explain why this happened? I haven't got a proper wax heater, so I melted it in a bowl over hot water until it was melted, then didn't put it on until it was a comfortable heat. If I know why this happened I will buy a proper heater before doing this on Joe public.

The tutor told us we could use creams/lotions before or after, I was gonna do it after on hubby. Is this maybe why it stuck to the hairs? I don't wanna do this to a client!!!

I use a paraffin wax dip along with the SpaManicure so the hands are well oiled before they are dipped. It takes no time at all to remove the wax, it just slides off. I also do a couple of wax only (without the SpaMan) but I make sure I still use oil/cream before dipping just to make sure the wax comes off easily!!

Most manufacturer's of parrafin wax sell "paraffin melting oil" this is a small bottle (about 4 oz) of paraffin oil that you pour into your paraffin wax/machine. If you don't use paraffin oil, your paraffin will be very dry and crumbly. Instead, it should glide off in one piece, and leave a nice slightly oily residue that you can just massage in. Call around, or look at some catalogs and find paraffin melting oil. Also, your wax should be melting and maintained at a steady heat. I don't know what the standard temperature of most paraffin machines are. Hope this helps you! *wink*

You must have cream or oil on underneath the wax otherwise you will have to pick it off. The idea is that it rolls off a bit like a glove. The warmth of the wax helps skin absorb oil/cream better so is a nice treatment to have. There was a thread on the BABTAC site about paraffin wax on men and a bloke replied and said it can be uncomfortable for men with hairy hands so he recommended that you just used oil instead.

I would like to know a little bit more about the men and wax point so if anyone has experience of this please let me know.

Teena_B said:

Are you sure you used the right wax??????????Paraffin wax is different to depilatory wax which DOES remove hair if used correctly.
If you have used the right wax then you do need to coat the hands (or feet) in a cream first so the wax glides off afterwards. HTH

Hello,

I do a lot of paraffin waxes and and can honestly say I never need to coat the hands with any cream beforehand . I use Salon System paraffin wax with essential oils (Lavenda,Geranium and Marjoram).After coating I wrap in Tin Foil(funny I know but it works ). Then I put the hands in Mitts and cover with a towel.Leave for about 15 mins or so . The wax just rolls off lovely

Karen :D

thanks guys. I thought this may be the case, but it was my tutor that said you could do it with or without cream/lotion first! I am definitely using the right wax, I made sure, so it must just be the cream. Perfect10kb's wax must come off ok due to the essential oil?

Maybe I'll have to get a girlfriend to try it before I put it on my hubby again!

hi ive done it on myself with out cream and it still comes off fine xx

I do the paraffin with my men's mani's and pedi's and don't have a problem. This is my routine. I apply cuticle oil, use lotion and do a hand (or foot) massage, have them 'do their dips'. I then slide their hands/feet into plastic paraffin liners and put into heated mitts/booties. When ready to remove, grab the plastic bag at the top of the wrist/ankle and slide it off. I use paraffin that has tea tree oil in it and have never needed to add oil to it. I know you'll find a way to make it work for you. sending best wishes and warm thoughts...

jus2kewt :)

Latest posts

Back