Part time nail technician, where do I start?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OliviaPerch

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm currently taking the Nail Technology City & Guilds Level 2 Award. I have a full-time job (Mon-Fri) and would really like to start doing nails in the evenings and weekends. My uncle has a hair salon and has offered me a space at the back for Saturdays and I was hoping to do it from home (I own my own home and want to turn the conservatory into the nail area) some afternoon/evenings too. I have searched the internet for advice but can't seem to get any regarding part-time nail techs. I have no clue where to start and I suppose my main questions are:
Do I need to register as a small business? I'll probably only be doing a few clients per week.
Insurance?
Can I make up my own business name?
Will I have to pay tax on my earnings if I don't need to register?
It's all very new to me and I want to make sure I'm doing things right before I advertise. The dream is to work for myself full-time but I guess we all have to start somewhere. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Yes you need to register with HMRC, yes you will need to pay tax on your earnings, in truth you will pay even more tax as your Personal Allowance will be swollowed by your PAYE full time salary. Use the Gov.uk website for information, there are specific pages relating to part time working alongside a full time job.

Yes you should be insured, even now in training if you are going working on clients uyur training supplier should point you in thr direction of Student Insurance.

Conservatory is not a great place to work, too hot in the summer, your acrylic will set too fast, your gel polish will potentially cure in the bottle in the daylight. You will be too cold in the winter, your monomer will crystallise and take too long to set.

The hairdresser option will be a great start but be prepared for complaints from staff and hair clients that the monomer smells. Personally I think perm lotion and bleach smell worse, but everyone complains about monomer.

There are years and years of threads, posts and answers on here, grab a cuppa and spend some time reading back through them, the search facility is useful to search for specifics once you waht more information.

Latest posts

Back