PAT Testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband is a qualified Pat tester. Not only is it required by our insurance also your local council asks for it to be done. It is not necessary for equipment under a year
the original poster mentioned that she only had 5 bits of equipment this actually involves 10 tests as each removable lead needs to be tested. Note not all pat testers bother to test the leads which invalidates your insurance should anything go wrong. Although my husband no longer works in this field. I do have contacts in this field that work thoughout the uk and ireland you can pm me if you would like details. I apologize as I know we are not allowed to advertise but there are so many cowboys.

I know for fact that PAT testing is not a requirement by law - check with your insurance as most insurances allow you to 'visually check' your appliances. Which basically means checking the wires and plug are in tact, no fraying or any visible damage.

maybe im lucky but our caretaker at college who is pat qualified has said that he will pat test our equiptment for free as we gave him free massages whilst training in level 3.

I believe that PAT testing IS required for items over 12 months old. Even so getting PAT testing shows "best practice" in any public liability claim. Imagine standing in court after someone has been electrocuted by an old hood dryer and your defense being it is not required by law so I didnt bother!!!!

I believe that PAT testing IS required for items over 12 months old. Even so getting PAT testing shows "best practice" in any public liability claim. Imagine standing in court after someone has been electrocuted by an old hood dryer and your defense being it is not required by law so I didnt bother!!!!

If you have documented that the appliance has been 'visibly checked' this will suffice. I used to work in insurance.

I feel very reassured now I've had my 5 items PAT tested. All items passed and only cost me £20. All the items are labelled for clients to see and I have reports on each item. :p

Just double checked and you are right... it is not actually a legal requirement, you would need to check that it is not a condition of your insurance cover though...personally though, I think PAT testing is generally a good idea, especially for older appliances

Just double checked and you are right... it is not actually a legal requirement, you would need to check that it is not a condition of your insurance cover though...personally though, I think PAT testing is generally a good idea, especially for older appliances

Legal or not, I'm glad I'm covered just in case!

I am an expert in this field (miosh) and I promise that there is no legal requirement to PAT test. If the council insists then challenge them, the Loler regs and EAW regs do not require PAT testing.

Most PAT testers are chancers fleecing the ignorant.

Just ensure the appliances are in good visual repair. If your insurance company requires this then you are stuck unless you get them to withdraw this condition. Save your cash!

I am an expert in this field (miosh) and I promise that there is no legal requirement to PAT test. If the council insists then challenge them, the Loler regs and EAW regs do not require PAT testing.

Just ensure the appliances are in good visual repair. If your insurance company requires this then you are stuck unless you get them to withdraw this condition. Save your cash!

Think that's a bit harsh on PAT testers.
My experience in education, where we had to have annual testing, was that they gave a painstaking and professional service.
My other reason to challenge your statement is that when my husband was made redundant he used the time when unemployed to broaden his skill-base and did his PAT certification. Although not part of his current (pun not intended) job I can assure you that he and his fellow students were not chancers.
Can I also repeat what has been said already; many insurance companies require it.

I shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush of course! It is just such a con that I automatically do. Just like there must be some nice low paid ethical banker. Mustn't there?

Like the humour....but actually yep, there are loads of low/average paid workers in the banking industry. I'm assuming most have good morals. But then, I do tend to see the best in people.

This was my initial thoughts on the matter, which started this debate.

Funny how the people that say you do are some how associated with a pat tester? Lol

I must check with my insurance tomorrow though!

As far as I am aware it is not a legal requirement but it is good practice.

Imagine if you went to someone's house to do a treatment and your piece of dodgy equipment blew a circuit in their property? You would then be liable for the cost of repairs. I think it is important to check the small print of your public liability insurance. If your equipment is faulty this will probably invalidate any claim you might have.

I only have 2 pieces of equipment and pay a local electrician £12.50 each for a PAT check. I drop them off at his house after work and pick then up at 8.00.am the next day. It might be expensive but it is convenient. The cost is also allowable for tax purposes.

My bf is an electrician, has qualified for PAT testing, and has worked as a fire safety engineer for years.

He said, pat testing isn't a legal requirement, but it is usually an insurance requirement. And he also said something about health and safety at work act.

If you had a fire, and the fire service put it down to a faulty bit of equipment they would ask to see the PAT certificates, and if you didn't have them, you'd be screwed.

Also, it's not just a visual check. There is a piece of testing equipment involved.

I think who ever said most pat testers are chancers fleecing the ignorant. Is incredibly rude and just showed themselves up as being slightly ignorant.I phoned up BABTAC today and yes they do require it for their public liability insurance. We have owned beauty salons for over 27 years and get our machinery tested each year as a form of good practice. But it's up to each individual as to how professional they want to be as far as im concerned using safe tested equipment is professional high standards

My brother is a Sparky and is qualified to do PAT testing and is not chancer fleecing the ignorant as he has morales and ethics and takes pride in his work infact he only does my equipment which he does for free as he is so busy. I agree with Studiobeauty, please think carefully before you write things which can be deemed offence to others. There is a reason for PAT testing otherwise our insurance companies wouldn't ask for it.

I think who ever said most pat testers are chancers fleecing the ignorant. Is incredibly rude and just showed themselves up as being slightly ignorant.I phoned up BABTAC today and yes they do require it for their public liability insurance. We have owned beauty salons for over 27 years and get our machinery tested each year as a form of good practice. But it's up to each individual as to how professional they want to be as far as im concerned using safe tested equipment is professional high standards
I think that the post was a bit strong but there are companies that call you up an use scare tactics.
But as my previous post show....I agree with your choice to test!

I think that the post was a bit strong but there are companies that call you up an use scare tactics.
But as my previous post show....I agree with your choice to test!

along with electricity, gas, telephone, insurance etc etc companies that cold call on a daily basis wanting your business, no difference in any of them, but remember the people on the end of the phone are just trying to earn a living just like the rest of us - so my ethos is just be polite and say no.

you defo need it done its law every i think its 6 month and my partner cHARGES £2 a item

Latest posts

Back