Patch test reaction! See photo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubytues

Reaction score
I've posted this in the skin forum but thought I'd share this also with you hair geeks!

My good friend sent me this photo after she had a reaction to a colour patch test! Pretty horrid eh?
Many years ago she wasn't patch tested for a brow & lash tint and reacted. So badly she couldn't work for 5 months, her face swelled like a ball, puss oozed from her lids and brows.
Hopefully this photo will help those who want to use it show clients why its important to patch test x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342992482.857727.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342992482.857727.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,913
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342992493.509542.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1342992493.509542.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,971
Wow, just goes to show the importance!

oh poor love! thanks for posting this so people can see the importance of patch testing! x

I've posted this in the skin forum but thought I'd share this also with you hair geeks!

My good friend sent me this photo after she had a reaction to a colour patch test! Pretty horrid eh?
Many years ago she wasn't patch tested for a brow & lash tint and reacted. So badly she couldn't work for 5 months, her face swelled like a ball, puss oozed from her lids and brows.
Hopefully this photo will help those who want to use it show clients why its important to patch test x

Bloody hell! Thanks for sharing x

Ouch that looks really nasty. Thank you for posting.

Thanks for posting this it really does make you realised how important test patches are xxx

I hope she didn't sue, even just for the patch test. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thanks for sharing. xx

That's what Happens to me! :( best thing is to use sudocreme on it. I know it's very rare but it proves the point that we MUST patch test!!!! If you applied eyelash tint to someone who is allergic you WILL blind them!

The college I went to had a newspaper article about someone who had a reaction to tint laminated and put on the desk where clients could see, that way they could see the importance of us asking them to come in for there test.
Don't think I would carry one around with me, or put it up in a salon, but I think it frightened many students who would have just ignored the need for a test to take notice and tell them to come in xoxo

Thanks for sharing. I couldn't forgive myself if someone had a reaction like that and I hadn't patch tested. Getting sued for it wouldn't be great either

Just out of interest what happened with the therapist that did lash and brow tint without testing. Sued?

Don't think I would carry one around with me, or put it up in a salon, but I think it frightened many students who would have just ignored the need for a test to take notice and tell them to come in xoxo

I think if I had that picture in the salon no one would want the tint test, let alone a tint itself!!!

Oddly enough I saw the results of an eyelash tint reaction in my first salon job. My boss at the time refused to do tint tests as she thought they were a waste of time, and didn't like turning clients away. However after about a year of being there one of her clients came back an hour or so after her appointment with an eyelash reaction, her eyes swollen like ping-pong balls, and had to be taken hospital, it certainly stuck in my mind!!

Maybe we should get this stickied up the top of our sections to remind DIY'ers that we've trained (or are training) to use professional and potentially dangerous products for a reason. They're pro products strictly for professionals to use safely and with correct training and insurance in place.

Just because you can buy colours etc in Sally's does not mean you know how to use it properly :)

Of course I know anyone can get a reaction but if it stops improper use by have-a-goers that can be a good thing?

I went to college with a girl who was fine when we started training had a reaction to eye tint and since then cannot now have colour on her own hair and needs to be gloved up and really really careful when in a salon. Awful it is and she looked just like this picture :(

Just out of interest what happened with the therapist that did lash and brow tint without testing. Sued?

Yes, although it didn't take too long. My friend just took what they first offered which was £500.

I had a lady ring up yesterday wanted a eyebrow tint and shape on the day, new client and I said I can do the eyebrow wax but u fortunately I need you to have a patch test for the tinting but I can do it tomorrow if you come in for a test today, the answer I got back was "well the girl down the road will do it so don't worry!" lol I'm not going to put a client at risk just for £10 it's not worth it! People try and say that they have had it loads before in other places but everyone uses different products and someone might react to one not the other!

The college I went to had a newspaper article about someone who had a reaction to tint laminated and put on the desk where clients could see, that way they could see the importance of us asking them to come in for there test.

That's a brill idea! Some people are to money hungry they are willing to put people At risk..

The photo below is a client of mine,
She has had colour for a few years now and recently became stressed and very depressed. She didn't have her couloir done for around 5months due to the stress and depression so when she came in I told her I wanted to skin test again to be safe, this was the reaction within an hour of her leaving the salon

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1343329380.953839.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1343329380.953839.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 868
Had a client who had similar reaction to a patch test (hair tint) . I wonder why the actual percentage of people allergic to tint is? Anyone know? X

I think it is 1% lol it's very rare!

Iv ended up in hospital twice now with reactions, both from dying my hair. Once dis myself when I was 14 and I stopped breathing and had to have fluid drained from my face so I could see and talk. Then in 2009 from a non tested eyebrow tint. I had puss running from my eyebrows and was blind for 2/3 weeks taking 14 different steroids a day.
If I get the tinest bit of acrylic on my I blister and swell in that area. And I was bed ridden for 6 weeks from a henna tattoo when I was younger.
You never no! Better to be safe than sorry I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy xx

Latest posts

Back