Patch Testing for EE

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poshlash

Reaction score
Hi all lashers! :hug:

I have read several posts on Patch Testing for EE and found there were some conflicting ways. I thought maybe I can share with you the way I patch test and my reasoning behind it. I hope that some of the experienced lashers can jump in and add to this.

I patch test by applying 3 lashes that matches the thickness and the length of the client's natural lashes on each eye, incase they decide for some reason they don't want the set done. Then should no reaction happen, the extension lashes can just either grow out or fall off which ever come first without me having to go back to her to remove them.

K, so here's how I do it and my reasoning behind it.

I apply 3 lashes specifically on each eye, One in the very inner---Inner coner can be ultra sensitive because of all the mucus membranes.

2nd lash is applied smack in the middle. For those clients that have very heavy hood/lid either from weight loss or fat deposit or age or ethnicity such as mongolian Asians like myself.(Korean) The skin of the lid, depending on how "hooded" they are can rub against them everytime they blink. I use the "wet dough" analogy with my students. ("for those with extremely heavy hooded clients and some Mongol Asians with no visible crease on their top lid, everytime their eyes open, their very lower part of the top lid retract back into the socket and their "roll" of the skin of their lid fall right on top of the lash line, where the extensions are adhered. As they blink, that "roll" of the skin collect moisture and sebum(oil naturally produced)and is constantly "neaded" at the base of their lash line. So imagine wet and well greased dough neading back and forth everytime they blink.") I place one in the middle to see if the "neading" of their skin against the lash and adhesive will irritate them.

Finally one in the very outer corner. Think when we have beautiful eye makeup (lashes) done and we tear because we cry or have just yawned or got something in our eyes. I see most people will place their finger right about the edge of their outer corner and vigorously rub it up and down or dab a tissue in the inner or outer corner or swipe the lower lid with an upwards motion ending at the outer most corner of the irritated eye. (I am personally guilty of this move.):irked:
*I have yet to patch test on the inner part of an arm or behind the ear*
*I was never trained to patch test in any way or form (Trained in Korea where the Eyelash Extentions were developed in 1999) and this is a way I have developed to patch test for myself*

Allergies or reactions to the procedure can be very tricky to diagnose. It really can be anything. Such as the products used to prep (which I go through during patch testing) the gel in the gel patch you use, the adhesives in certain tape, the fume of the bonding adhesives and so on.

There are those that have an immediate reaction and there are those who have them in couple to few days. There are also those that develope them over the course of months and years.

I have found that once the body "tags" a certain ingredient as toxic, it is very difficult if not impossible to "un-tag" it. I have not yet (knock on wood) had anyone have a reaction to any of the two adhesives I have used over the years, but I have had new clients that have had some reactions to their previous tech's products come to me to be lashed again and their reactions were mixed.

1. I had a very deligent client develope a reaction during our patch testing, that waited a year to date, to come back to me and said "maybe my body forgot about the "tag" by now. Can we try again?" And I reluctanly tried and she was still reactive.
2. I have on the other had had clients that did very well with patch tests but once the full set was on, they felt the very familiar symptoms come on and had to remove them. (No monies were refunded to them since I had them sign and understand all possiblilities especially considering their track record with reaction.)
3. I've also had clients that did well with patch test and have been a client of mine for years.
*All clients discribed above are an example of clients who had reactions with their previous tech's products that came to me*

My point is, patch test or no patch test, on skin or on lashes, if someone is gonna have a reaction, she/he will. All the time, effort and energy we spend doing this is because we truly and genuinely care about the well being of our clients. We want what's best for them and want them to keep coming back to us. For our professionalism, for our friendship, for our advice (professional AND MOSTLY personal:lol:) and for our sheer craziness, we want them back..... to us.... because we care.

Happy Lashing~~~!:green:

Last edited:
This is a great post. Thanks Poshlash.

It took me a while to find it though as I'm not sure why it's been moved???

Just when I think I have got the hang of navigating this site................

Ah thanks again Poshlash!! I'm finding myself looking forward to you're posts, you're spoiling us, we'll be expecting a weekly blog from you soon! Lol

I agree, I always patch test by applying to the natural lashes. Although I've not been placing them along the lash line, only at the outer corners, but having read your thoughts it makes perfect sense, so will be doing this in future! :) x

It was moved because it is not a question but an article for information purposes.

Ah thanks again Poshlash!! I'm finding myself looking forward to you're posts, you're spoiling us, we'll be expecting a weekly blog from you soon! Lol

I agree, I always patch test by applying to the natural lashes. Although I've not been placing them along the lash line, only at the outer corners, but having read your thoughts it makes perfect sense, so will be doing this in future! :) x

Lu-B-Lu... I love that name... It makes the corners of my mouth look up :)

I'm so glad you are enjoying my posts! I'm encouraged even more to post s'more!!!

Happy Lashing~~~!:hug:

Hey elliebee, I guess where I posted this thread was not appropriate. I worked my way backwards to find where and how someone would find this post and I have to admit, it was not easy. I have lots more of learning this site.

Happy Lashing~~~!:hug:

Latest posts

Back