Patch testing for eyelash extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I would like to know what people’s opinions are on patch testing for eyelash extensions. Lots of suppliers say patch testing isn’t necessary these days and to get a client to sign a form saying they understand the risks. To follow with my insurance I have to patch test or I won’t be covered. What do you think about it?

A waver wouldn't stand up in court. Always patch test, for the sake of your reputation if nothing else. Imagine a client having a bad reaction and bad nothing u all over social media and leaving bad reviews?

Lots of suppliers say patch testing isn’t necessary these days and to get a client to sign a form saying they understand the risks.
What do you think about it?

Sounds like your suppliers are only interested in ££££ and have zero interest in supporting your business to be giving you such poor advice.

Sounds like your suppliers are only interested in ££££ and have zero interest in supporting your business to be giving you such poor advice.

I’ve had friends that have been trained and they’ve been told not to do it as it is a waste of time (how shocking). I then did a bit of reading and I use lashbase crystal plus glue, read this article: https://lashbase.co.uk/patch-testing/

I am still going to be patch testing as I would like to be covered by my insurance lol.

A waver wouldn't stand up in court. Always patch test, for the sake of your reputation if nothing else. Imagine a client having a bad reaction and bad nothing u all over social media and leaving bad reviews?

Completely agree!x

A disclaimer used to be the thing some years ago but it has changed a lot and especially with all those "no claim no fee" companies and clients chancing it you will find that a lot of insurances wont cover you if you dont patch test as it shows due diligence. Some insurances will even state that your insurance is void if you do not patch test.
I personally dont understand why anyone would not patch test as it only takes a minute and you can make it part of the consultation and it will help to ensure that you are covered. the client is compatible with the treatment and knows what to expect and it also helps you to see the clients lashes to have a better idea of styling etc. In my opinion it is a minute well spent and builds client trust in your professionalism x

I would like to know what people’s opinions are on patch testing for eyelash extensions. Lots of suppliers say patch testing isn’t necessary these days and to get a client to sign a form saying they understand the risks. To follow with my insurance I have to patch test or I won’t be covered. What do you think about it?
I’ve recently posted a blog about this exact topic, patch testing yay or nay?
I wanted to share my experience as a new tech in hope others would do all they can to protect thier clients.
Patch testing is a must ! Your insurers/ suppliers don’t know enough about the product nor do they care! Keep yourself safe and your clients x

I’ve recently posted a blog about this exact topic, patch testing yay or nay?
I wanted to share my experience as a new tech in hope others would do all they can to protect thier clients.
Patch testing is a must ! Your insurers/ suppliers don’t know enough about the product nor do they care! Keep yourself safe and your clients x

Could you send me the link please would love to have a read x

I would always recommend patch testing regardless of what the manufacturer or training says. Your insurance are the ones that will be on your side if you ever have a claim and are not always clear. Also it’s professional I’d much rather go to a salon that patch tests and has my best interest at heart than making a few pounds x

I patch test everything. Primer, adhesive, remover.... hell I even patch test the gel pads. Better safe than sorry... plus my insurance stipulates that I do this, and what the insurer wants, the insurer gets lol!

As mentioned above, LashBase have changed their policy for patch testing. My daughter does lash extensions and I do lashblifts, both using LashBase products and we ALWAYS patch tested new clients. I still do patch test my lash lift clients (with every product I use including eye pads!) and my daughter still offers all new clients a patch test and will even drive to their house to do one even though we're home salon based! However, as it was explained that a patch test gives no guarantee that the client won't have a reaction when they actually have a full set of lashes done, I can see why LashBase have taken this stance.
My daughter was originally taught to patch test behind the ear, which we now know to be wrong, but even attaching a couple of lashes to the clients lashes won't necessarily be enough to determine if they are going to react or not, and as I know from my sister in laws experience, you can be absolutely fine for years and then suddenly develop an allergy, even using exactly the same products. In fact, it's far more likely that you'll develop an allergy after a build up of exposure, rather than the first time.
So it is a tricky one really! we have just renewed our insurance and I mentioned this, as I like to be thorough and they said as long as manufacturers guidelines were followed they are happy. Obviously I have no idea if it came down to it whether they would still stand by that and I hope we never need to find out!

Latest posts

Back