Patch testing purple shampoo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairbyJess

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So just going through some of my equipment (disinfecting after my last client on Wednesday evening as was too busy yesterday 😪) and as I'm wiping my bottle of purple shampoo I glance at the usage instructions and it says you should do a parch test 48 hours prior to use! I have honestly never heard of this, but now having a little panic. I've never had a client have any problems with it, but used it yesterday on a client who tested positive for matrix (also the brand of the shampoo) so I used goldwell colour for her. However I had no idea about this so used my regular matrix purple shampoo. Now I'm worrying:
1) Obviously patch testing validates our insurance... have I been unknowingly going against my insurance agreement all this time?
2) I know reactions don't always appear immediately... will this client be ok? She hasn't messaged to say anything so I think it must be ok. (As a side note she loved her hair so thanks to the geek that helped me with my matrix/goldwell equivalents a few weeks back... The colorance 10V was the best toner I've ever used 😀)

Most of my clients who have purple shampoo are colour clients so do have a current matrix patch test, it's just because my last one was an anomaly that now I'm panicking. I have ocd so tend to over-analyse anyway which doesn't help... please feel free to tell me I'm being irrational 😂

Thanks everyone, hope you're all doing ok this month

Well yes, you should test after any reaction, because the purple shampoo contains a small amount of direct dye colour.

If I’ve tested for a standard tint and they were fine and they've had a bleach and tone, I wouldn’t expect them to react to a purple shampoo, so I wouldn’t test for it separately.

However, there are clients who are allergic to PPD but they don’t react to a semi, so following a reaction to the standard patch test, I’d leave it a week or so and then patch test a semi and often we can use a semi to give them a nice rich depth of colour and shine. I learnt this back in college as I had a client who was allergic to the Goldwell Topchic (permanent) but was ok with Colorance, which is a Demi.

I would definitely test anyone who has had a reaction to a standard tint to any colour product I was planning to use and carefully explain the risks because they might buy coloured shampoos from the supermarket or Pharmacy without thinking.

Latest posts

Back