Patch testing SP lashes......is it really necessary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justlashes

Reaction score
Hi. I know this is a well chewed subject but are there any insurance company's who do NOT insist on patch test for SP lashes? Mine insists I test and I am loosing business with Ladies who need their lashes done the same day they enquire and dont have time to patch test. Some salons, department stores and exhibitions offer walk in SP lashes so how do they do it? My insurance is due for renewal 1st July so any advise would be fab. Thanks Ladies xxx

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

I would always advise patch testing for semi permanent lashes as you just never ever know, if you search abit on here you will see a thread from a poor girl who has had a client end up in hospital after having lashes done without a patch test so covered or not I wouldn't take the risk I know I'd feel awful if something like that happened to me and I hadn't done everything I could to prevent it first!
HTH
🌸

There's another post on here at the moment about a client in hospital after not patch testing! Please read that!

I wouldnt even consider not testing not worth it x

Hi Ladies. Thank you for your replies. I have seen the post about the Lady in hospital. However, my question is how do places like department stores, some salons and even exhibitions offer lashes with no patch test? At a beauty show last year girls were having their lashes done by well know SP lash product suppliers and there was no way they could have time for a 24 hr patch test? I always insist on testing but am loosing business to those who don't and so am wondering which insurance company would not insist on patch testing x

Hi Ladies. Thank you for your replies. I have seen the post about the Lady in hospital. However, my question is how do places like department stores, some salons and even exhibitions offer lashes with no patch test? At a beauty show last year girls were having their lashes done by well know SP lash product suppliers and there was no way they could have time for a 24 hr patch test? I always insist on testing but am loosing business to those who don't and so am wondering which insurance company would not insist on patch testing x

I don't think there is one, it's just a case of them winging it. How many of us have had hair colour done without a patch test? I know I have. In fact the only place I've ever had to patch test for everything, every time is the college. At a trade show, well we are professionals who volunteer for these treatments, so it's on our heads if it goes wrong. I think the best you can do is ask your insurance company what is the minimum time they will accept for a patch test, will they accept 2 hours? The college insists on 24 to 48 hours before each and every treatment, that's new legislation that came in last year and I do wonder if it's going to come back to haunt us, these products are not supposed to touch the skin at all, we all go to a great deal of trouble to avoid these products touching the skin and there we are putting a blob of it behind someone's ear, where the skin is most sensitive. Could we be found guilty of causing over exposure, but putting this product on the skin every six weeks?
Just food for thought:?:

I don't think there is one, it's just a case of them winging it. How many of us have had hair colour done without a patch test? I know I have. In fact the only place I've ever had to patch test for everything, every time is the college. At a trade show, well we are professionals who volunteer for these treatments, so it's on our heads if it goes wrong. I think the best you can do is ask your insurance company what is the minimum time they will accept for a patch test, will they accept 2 hours? The college insists on 24 to 48 hours before each and every treatment, that's new legislation that came in last year and I do wonder if it's going to come back to haunt us, these products are not supposed to touch the skin at all, we all go to a great deal of trouble to avoid these products touching the skin and there we are putting a blob of it behind someone's ear, where the skin is most sensitive. Could we be found guilty of causing over exposure, but putting this product on the skin every six weeks?
Just food for thought:?:

Thank you Susie. I will call my insurance for a chat to see what the minimum time is they would accept. Thanks again xxx

I went to a local salon to have false eyelashes put on and I suffered a similar reaction. We got 1 eye done and a third of the other eye, but my eyes were stinging terribly and streaming. We had no option but to remove them and I suffered for a few days after with red sore eyes - but thankfully did not need medical treatment. I was never asked to do a patch test before the treatment, nor did i fill in a consultation card...so you are not alone here.
Hope all is well
Michelle :)

Latest posts

Back